Best ever

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

ThreeLittleBirds
Youth Team
Youth Team

Best ever

Post by ThreeLittleBirds » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Just curious about everyone's opinions on our best ever player, is it someone from our more recent bunch of legends or someone from days gone by?

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Best ever

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Martin lawlor for me.. best defender i have seen. Was fortunate to be going up since 1977.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Alan O'Neill for me growing up as a kid. Amazing servant and reliable.

Martin Lawlor albeit in the 80s and Gino lawless. Not really narrowing it down there.

Of recent vintage, Daryl Horgan by a country mile for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:57 pm

The great Jimmy Hasty for me and Richie Towell from the modern era.
The Back of the Wall

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:04 am

The few clips available from the 80s and 90s makes me reevaluate how good some players were as the standard isn't great. But when I was a kid it was Barry Kehoe. Stuff seemed to happen when he was on the ball.

So Daryl Horgan for me now too. Only a couple of seasons in comparison to the legends, but the more the whirlwind that was 2016 slips into history, the more we'll truly appreciate how amazing it was. And he was the pick of our players in that run.

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by bigalan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:59 am

A question with many answers.

Barry Keohe of course as favourite local. Amazing skill, strength and vision and would have complemented the 2016 side without doubt.

From the 2016 squad Ritchie and Darryl stand out but Ronan Finn was the glue that bonded it all together.

From todays squad both long serving Sean Gannon and the wonderful Chris Shields also have a claim. Pat Hoban as all time leading goalscorer has to be up there also.

But to answer your question:
My favourite player growing up was the recently deceased Jimmy Dainty. An amazing talent we were lucky enough to have during another great era for Dundalk. And for me he is my favourite ever Dundalk FC player