PFAI Awards 2019

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

PFAI Awards 2019

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:28 pm

Sean Gannon, Sean Hoare, Chris Shields, Patrick Hoban and Michael Duffy all voted in to the PFAI Team of the Season.

Michael Duffy and Sean Gannon are in the reckoning for Player of the Year along with Jack Byrne
PFAI Team of the Season: (4-3-3): Alan Mannus (Shamrock Rovers); Sean Gannon (Dundalk), Sean Hoare (Dundalk), Lee Grace (Shamrock Rovers), Sean Kavanagh (Shamrock Rovers); Danny Mandroiu (Bohemians), Chris Shields (Dundalk), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers); David Parkhouse (Derry City), Patrick Hoban (Dundalk), Michael Duffy (Dundalk)

Player of the Year nominations: Michael Duffy (Dundalk), Sean Gannon (Dundalk), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers)

Young Player of the Year nominations: Danny Mandroiu (Bohemians), David Parkhouse (Derry City), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers).
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/10 ... -the-year/

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: PFAI Awards 2019

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Lee Grace better than Daniel Cleary - no chance!

Not much between Alan Mannus and Gary Rogers in terms of quality, but Rogers streets ahead for his achievements this season and the new European and domestic records he has set

Patrick McEleney's inconsistency and injury record probably sees him lose out to Danny Mandriou and Jack Byrne
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

iloveduffy.com
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by iloveduffy.com » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:21 pm

Don't see an issue with the team. Cleary over Hoare maybe
In Kenny we Trust

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:58 am

Pretty much spot on for me, except I'm surprised to see Duffy in for POTY.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:36 pm

I’m not having Mannus in goal. Rogers and Talbot has much better seasons. I know the players voted for it but I struggle to see how he got the most votes!! Anyway apart from that, the team is pretty much spot on.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:30 am

Byrne was inevitable - despite the fact he didn’t win the League, wasn’t motm in cup final, wasn’t top scorer, wasn’t part of the best defence, didn’t have most assists etc etc

Anyway. Delighted for Vinny, recognition fully deserved. Grest to see his Dundalk team give him a standing ovation too.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:25 am

We can't really complain about who wins these awards as they are voted by the players themselves. Having said that, theres no doubt that the media hype won Byrne this award. The players wouldn't have actually seen him play too often as they tend to be playing their own games at the same time!!!
I'm not doubting Byrnes talent, hes a very decent player but if you're looking for consistency over the whole season then Sean Gannon is the only player that should have got your vote.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:24 pm

First player since Richie Ryan in 2010 that wasn’t champion or top scorer

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:39 pm

colymull wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:25 am
We can't really complain about who wins these awards as they are voted by the players themselves.
Did the players vote for Michelle O'Neill as Ref of the Year?

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:32 pm

El Paso wrote:First player since Richie Ryan in 2010 that wasn’t champion or top scorer
And Richie was a top performer. Go figure!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:35 pm

colymull wrote:We can't really complain about who wins these awards as they are voted by the players themselves. Having said that, theres no doubt that the media hype won Byrne this award. The players wouldn't have actually seen him play too often as they tend to be playing their own games at the same time!!!
I'm not doubting Byrnes talent, hes a very decent player but if you're looking for consistency over the whole season then Sean Gannon is the only player that should have got your vote.
I'd say most players would've seen more of Byrne than most non rovers supporters (at least 90 minutes 3 times this season, up close and in person or from the dug out). So I'd go with players judgement on the this over supporters and local journalists. It does sound like I'm the only Oriel non Byrne basher, but I'm a big fan and called for us to sign him when Kenny was in charge and he was coming back from cambur to the UK.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:05 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:39 pm
colymull wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:25 am
We can't really complain about who wins these awards as they are voted by the players themselves.
Did the players vote for Michelle O'Neill as Ref of the Year?
I hope not, that was baffling!!

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:35 pm
colymull wrote:We can't really complain about who wins these awards as they are voted by the players themselves. Having said that, theres no doubt that the media hype won Byrne this award. The players wouldn't have actually seen him play too often as they tend to be playing their own games at the same time!!!
I'd say most players would've seen more of Byrne than most non rovers supporters (at least 90 minutes 3 times this season, up close and in person or from the dug out). So I'd go with players judgement on the this over supporters and local journalists. It does sound like I'm the only Oriel non Byrne basher, but I'm a big fan and called for us to sign him when Kenny was in charge and he was coming back from cambur to the UK.

I've seen him play in the flesh 5 times this season and a few times on TV, and as I said in my original post, hes undoubtedly talented but inconsistently so especially against us and a couple of Bohs games. He probably had one of his better games last Sunday and I am also a fan, I'd love to see him come to us but if you are telling me that he had a better overall season than Sean Gannon then we'll have to agree to disagree!!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:16 pm

No one doubts his talent. The annoyance is that he played for a team that choked a 13 point lead. He didn’t turn around a single league game for them all season, and he didn’t score or assist many. So what did he actually *do*? Players are as susceptible to spin as anyone else. The League badly needed a poster boy and that’s what he is and that’s why he won the award.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:02 pm

Easily Sean Gannon's best season apart from his first full season, but if Sean could use his left foot, he might've got it.