All-Island League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

All-Island League

Post by Sneachta » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:06 am

I thought I would start a thread on this as it's been in the media a lot lately and I'm sure we all have opinions about options being discussed.

So far there seems to be positive mootings from both sides of the border bar one or two.

If the figures, structures and governance suggested are viable and achievable and the FAI and IFA are kept at arms length, this could be a runner. Personally I've no interest in travelling to Windsor or the Oval....yet, but a day out in Seaview or solitude would be a welcome change with the league being less Dublin centric.

More bigger games, bigger teams bigger attendances? More competition? Can only be good right?

The big elephant in the room is stadia. If it is to be sold to a gap in the market for football enthusiasts in Europe and around the world when the big leagues aren't in play, then kips like our own Oriel, United park, Dalymount etc will all need immediate attention and no more pussyfooting about it. Our American overlords, association and national and local governments as well as uefa need to help us make it a commercially viable programme which will benefit our economy, society and community.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Re: All-Island League

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:45 pm

Nothing ventured , nothing gained. 👍🏻

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Agree with the concept. There’s a small danger the League would become east coast centric - Belfast-Dundalk-Dublin with Cork and Derry on the fringes.

But it should be competitive, which matters, and should attract more income.

It might also be the only way to secure investment, because right now no government money is ever going to be put into football facilities with the exception of piecemeal grants.

I’d love to think of Belfast as a regular destination for football.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:25 pm

https://twitter.com/The_Irishkieran/sta ... 98656?s=19

Some of Gareth McAuleys comments here. He'd be up there with the Kyle Lafferty's and David Healy's of this world and is precisely the negative vibes that this league would attract. Disappointing comments.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:02 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:25 pm
https://twitter.com/The_Irishkieran/sta ... 98656?s=19

Some of Gareth McAuleys comments here. He'd be up there with the Kyle Lafferty's and David Healy's of this world and is precisely the negative vibes that this league would attract. Disappointing comments.

He is entitled to be opposed to the idea, but the reasons he offers make little sense to me
I think there are a few envious eyes in the Republic who want a piece of our Irish League pie and I would be reluctant to offer them a slice and sign up to the proposed new All-Island League.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sund ... 34145.html

I don't know if thus tweeted reply is correct, but it is an interesting comparison
[email protected]_Irishkieran·
@The_Irishkieran
(Avg basic annual 1st team pay)
NIFL: €6,488 / LOI: €14,926

(Avg 2018/19 1st tier Attendance)
NIFL: 1,089 / LOI: 2,136

(Champions Prize Money)
NIFL: €40,000 / LOI: €110,000

(UEFA coefficient points 2018/19)
NIFL: 0.500 / LOI: 1.000

UEFA ranking 2019
NIFL: 52nd / LOI: 37th
https://twitter.com/The_Irishkieran/sta ... 5082618881
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:25 pm

He is absolutely entitled to be opposed to the idea, but the reasons he offers make little sense to me, which is why I say they are disappointing comments. They're actually simply belligerent and oppositional for the sake of it.

Absolutely entitled to his opinion but too many in football conflate subjective opinion with fact. Which I think the replying tweet you posted, if true, would confirm how non-sensical his comments are.

Both leagues are in dire need of an injection of some sort of life support. He is absolutely deluded if he thinks that one good run for linfield suggests that the their league is on the rise.

I flicked on a Carrickfergus v Glentoran match on sky one Monday night. Fair play sky were showing it, But It. Was. Desperate. And the crowd was pathetic. They have the same ailments, if not worse than our own league.

To reiterate his comments would be up there, dare I say it, with the international pundit heavyweights of Ian Holloway, Neil Warnock and Stephen Warnock.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:37 am

https://twitter.com/allislandleague/sta ... 29057?s=19

https://twitter.com/allislandleague/sta ... 94880?s=19

Some contrasting promotional videos from All-Island league for linfield and Glentoran supporters. It's amazing how aggrieved teams/clubs/supporters can be when they are starved of success for years. Traditional clubs like cliftonville and Glentoran seem to be most fearful and the push seems to be on getting Northern clubs to buy-in to this concept. It is not going to be an easy sell.

rummy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rummy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Ulster says no to the AIL and won't allow clubs to take part

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:28 pm

Dead in the water. IFA have refused to sanction their clubs joining the AIL.
https://www.irishfa.com/news/2019/octob ... -proposals
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:57 pm

My God. Only one answer to it now. Off we go and batter de shite out of them up in Windsor and do it year in year out for this unite the shite cup.

Disappointing indeed. Lucid needs to bring this forward for LOI clubs now. But I suspect the whole thing is dead in the water.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:00 pm

In saying that..... Not unlike the DUP, the paw is most definitely out wagging four fingers asking, "how much more £££?"

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 pm

The Northern clubs don’t see what’s in it for them. The proposals are about potential growth, no guarantees. They have zero interest in hosting the likes of Cork and Waterford and even less interest in travelling and won’t sacrifice anything for vague promises. It’s as simple as that.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:31 pm

While this Lucid proposal seems to be torpedoed by the statement from Irish FA Chief Executive Patrick Nelson, it was far from certain that there was sufficient buy-in from the clubs either North or South.

Hopefully it could yet morph into something different in the interim as a stepping stone
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:32 pm

I'm not sure if they were that vague EP. If all is to be believed, lucid had already a media backer/TV deal offering 8-10 million. The NIFL must be getting a serious wedge from sky to turn that down.

Nobody is in this to lose money but something has to be tried to improve standards on the island. Lucid et al are in it to make money no doubt and if they don't see it as a viable option then why put so much effort into promoting it?

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:42 pm

No slagging now, but this is funny
John O'Sullivan
@johngosullivan
"The NIFL has gone from strength to strength" say the IFA "some of our managers & players now think twice about booking holidays that might clash with European games."
https://twitter.com/johngosullivan/stat ... 2308553729