2020 season - Previews, Overviews, Fixtures, & General Miscellany

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2020 season - Previews, Overviews, Fixtures, & General Miscellany

Post by El Paso » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:27 pm

If the story you’re trying to tell is that FSG waited for success on the pitch before investing in growing the club then you have an appalling memory. They treaded water thinking they were ‘moneyball’ geniuses; and were going nowhere until the decision in 2014 to develop the stadium, and expand the merchandising and sponsorship operations.

Liverpool’s matchday revenue was consistently 50-55 million in the early 2010s until the work was done and has grown to over 90 million since the ground investment. Commercial was growing anyway but jumped 30% after the investment. It’s almost like, and bear with me here, more customers pay more money for a more pleasurable experience. Trying to think of a country where that’s down to a fine art...

But please tell me again how the FSG master plan was waiting for success in Europe between 2010 and 2014 before doing up Anfield, as is supposedly our ‘business model’. Cos the facts - they did *nothing* - prove my point perfectly.

In fact name a single commercially successful club in the world still playing in the same surroundings they were in 1990, never mind 1967. Even one.

Sadly I see our attendances continuing to drop as the novelty of our success continues to wear off and people look around at their miserable surroundings and floating fans decide ‘why bother?’

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:36 pm

El Paso wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:27 pm
So the example you’re using is a club that treaded water achieving nothing for three years under American owners, who took over in 2010 thinking they were ‘moneyball’ geniuses signing muck like Alberto Moreno and going places; and whose subsequent rise coincides exactly with the decision in 2014 to develop the stadium, and expand the merchandising and sponsorship operations.

Fascinating.

Liverpool’s matchday revenue was consistently 50-55 million in the early 2010s until the work was done and has grown to over 90 million since the ground investment. Commercial was growing anyway but jumped 30% after the investment. It’s almost like, and bear with me here, more customers pay more for higher quality service. Trying to think of a country where that’s down to a fine art...

But please tell me again how the FSG master plan was waiting for success in Europe between 2010 and 2014 before doing up Anfield, as is supposedly our ‘business model’. Cos my memory of how they did those years is a bit different.
My God you are one negitive gent.....FSG learned from their mistakes at Liverpool and changed their approach to take the club to where it is today. When they arrived it was on its knees today its one of the top 5 clubs in the world.

You have proven now that you have never seen a business plan nor have you a clue about how sports clubs earn money internationally. You clearly cannot see that a solid sports business needs income to make it successful or to help it improve, that is something which LOI clubs do not have at this moment in time. To get money into a football club in Ireland you have a number of options;
1. Prize/Euro/TV/Gate money
2. Sponsorship
3. Grants (if your nose is in the right hole)
4. A sugar Daddy (Dermot Desmond)

You can say what you want but I am sure if you dig deep enough Peak6 were involved in JDs problems at the FAI, new begining coming soon and hopfully increased prize money or a change to the commerical rights of the LOI.

Prizemoney, max income is approx. €175-200k per season if you win the triple. That is approx. 10% of what it costs run the club annually...need I say more. Add to that gate money...still isnt going to do much damage to the overall costs.

Sponsorship, Fyffes etc. are on board, is there room to increase income streams with established sponsors??? I have said it before, I would be interest to know if Peak6 have ever considered using their own investment portfolio as potential sources of sponsorship income?? Maybe etoro would pay more than Fyffes to be on the front of our kit, however that would mean we have to achieve something in Europe to make it attractive for them. etoro is one of the most widespread sponsors within English football so Dundalk wouldnt exactly be high on their agenda today, whereas Fyffes have the local link...

Grants, this is something Dundalk football club have failed to build a lobby for over years. This dates back further than Peak6.....like I said general election...start asking politicians questions.

Sugar Daddy, No one is going to hand Dundalk FC a few million for no reason. Dundalk FC to you is a club you support, to someone who puts their hard earned money into it is an investment and business. Why would anyone invest silly amounts of cash into something which they may never see again??? If Oriel was upgraded, do you really think attendances would increase?? Would the club get 1-2k more through the gates for LOI games, how long would it take for the investors to get a return on their investment???

Now over to you, how do you plan to finance Oriel redevelopement, how will you ensure the government grants arrive, ensure their is enough money to maintain the current squad plus add to it and to cover the day to day expenses of the business?? Where would the money come from to charter flights to European games, cover hotel expenses etc. or to bridge time periods between playing in Europe and actually getting the money into the club account. Are you suggesting that the club do that with their credit card??? That is why there is over a million in the company account, to bridge the gap between spending and getting Euro income.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:36 pm
Now over to you, how do you plan to finance Oriel redevelopement,
1.2 million euro in cash, 1/3 of the profit the club earned in 2016, plus whatever they’re paying you.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:18 am

El Paso wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:28 pm
Pepsi wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:36 pm
Now over to you, how do you plan to finance Oriel redevelopement,
1.2 million euro in cash, 1/3 of the profit the club earned in 2016, plus whatever they’re paying you.
You are a star......take one of your many ideas, start a company, you will make shit loads of money as you know how to run a business to its highest potential and buy Dundalk from Peak6, why didnt you do it years ago??? You will do everything better than Peak6 and get better results I am sure........ Feck planning, health and safety and the repayments......sure Dundalk FC is loaded, they had €3 million in the bank and by the time you take over you will have more than Larry Goodman...no let me correct that.....Dundalks very own Bill Gates. Dont forget to insist on the government giving you grants because you want them next year and then pay from your private millions for the charter flights, hotels and everything else which comes with European adventures.

You are the future......down in the dole office.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:11 pm

Me, on the dole: “a portion of the club’s cash could be used to improve the matchday experience for the people the club relies on for its most stable source of income, thus potentially improving that income and creating good will among the people the club relies on to survive. After all, isn’t the point of professional football getting people to pay to watch it?”

Pepsi, Peak6 genius: “enjoy the dole, you clueless loser”.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:49 pm

Vinny had an Interesting chat on RTÉ. Loads of stuff about learning from last year. Kind of stuff you hear when you’ve lost. So from that point of view it’s great that they know there’s room for improvement.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:27 pm

How I long for the football to start!
The Back of the Wall

carrickfan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by carrickfan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:31 pm

Wow! Great reading over the last 2 pages, fill the stadium with half the enthusiasm here and it’s a great match day experience. Roll on 2020 season!

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 pm

John Murphy gives his insight on the season ahead and on squad addition he would like to see
Dundalk FC legend happy with club's 'established' signings for new season

John Murphy reckons Dundalk FC’s new signings will be relishing working alongside the club’s band of serial winners.

The Lilywhites begin their pre-season programme on Friday night with a game against UCD at Oriel Park (7:45pm), with Greg Sloggett, Darragh Leahy and Will Patching potentially in line to make their debuts.

Expectations are perched high for the captured trio, especially in light of the departures of Robbie Benson, Dean Jarvis and Jamie McGrath, the latter having penned a two-and-a-half-year deal with Scottish Premiership side St. Mirren last week.

However, former Dundalk captain Murphy is hopeful of the newcomers stepping up to the mark, especially Sloggett and Leahy, who arrived from Derry City and Bohemians respectively.

“The nice thing about the signing of Sloggett and Leahy is that they’re established players,” Murphy told The Democrat.

“We’re hoping they can do the job because you just haven’t that time to breed them in when you’re the champions.

“There’s high standards needed off the players; Dundalk are a battle-hardened team and if I was a player coming to Dundalk, like the three players we got, you’d be just delighted that you’re going to be playing with that calibre of player. It can only make you better yourself.

“No disrespect to Derry City or UCD (Sloggett’s previous sides), or Bohemians (Leahy), but the standards that’s expected from you at Dundalk is a lot higher than it would be at those teams.”

Given the loss of midfield options, the Dundalk FM commentator would like to see manager Vinny Perth dip into the transfer market, with a central and wide player on Murphy’s wishlist.

“McGrath was more or less an experienced campaigner that, unfortunately, we’ve lost,” he added.

“Can we get someone to take his place? That’s the thing, to get someone of the same calibre.

“I always thought we could do with another established midfielder and right winger.

“Then we seem to have had terrible trouble with (the right wing) down through the years.

“John Mountney could do a job for a certain amount of time, but wouldn’t get the consistency in his game, and then he was plagued by injuries which didn’t help the chap either.”

Andy Boyle, Murphy anticipates, will be back to his best in the campaign to come, adding a strong layer of depth to The Lilywhites’ central defensive cohort, which includes captain Brian Gartland, who Boyle partnered successfully during his prior stint.

“Andy came in at a bad time last year, in the summer. You know as a footballer if you come in halfway through a season, when you’re that far behind the rest, it’s more or less catch-up if you can.

“Andy Boyle is a great asset to Dundalk and these days, you have to have double the options for every position. We have four great centre-halfs and Vinny Perth will have a bit of a headache picking them.”
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... fE.twitter
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:05 am

Always like to see John Murphys views on the coming season.

At this late stage and so close to the season starting, Who is available and up to the standard to get in those positions?

Do you take a chance on out of contract players from England such as James Wallace who has over 100 appearances across league one and two.
However, at 28 years of age and no great stats when it comes to goals, assists are you better off attempting to sign a player from within the league and pay a fee around his transfer

Getting closer and closer to the start of the season and its interesting to see where this develops

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:51 am

Carrick_Road wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:05 am
Always like to see John Murphys views on the coming season.

At this late stage and so close to the season starting, Who is available and up to the standard to get in those positions?

Do you take a chance on out of contract players from England such as James Wallace who has over 100 appearances across league one and two.
However, at 28 years of age and no great stats when it comes to goals, assists are you better off attempting to sign a player from within the league and pay a fee around his transfer

Getting closer and closer to the start of the season and its interesting to see where this develops
It would a surprise to sign within the league at this stage. Any additions are likely to come form outside there shores. While England is the most likely source, we have seen the net get cast wider in recent years

This time of year can also throw up players who are in the last 6 months of their contract, that clubs are prepared to release or loan. Getting the right quality players is another question
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Adanet
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Adanet » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am

Has any of the u19s, like Lotefa being given a contract?

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:56 am

Adanet wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am
Has any of the u19s, like Lotefa being given a contract?
Lotefa has been modelling the new 2020 kit, so I assume he's hanging around. Beyond that I don't know

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:18 pm

Lido signed a pro deal with the club in Dec 2018. Like with lots of other deals there was no clarification how long for.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Lido was missing from the squad last night. He and McCarey the only ones I think. McCarey is supposed to be going to Spain, but no mention of Lido that I saw.

I'm wondering if a switch to 3-4-3 is on the cards, going by that terrible experiment against Bohs and the way we started last night. Options are good and we've been almost zealous in stinking to 4-2-3-1. But personally I don't like it unless your full back is very clued in to balls or runs in behind. Also all of a sudden you get a very predictable starting line-up:

Hoare-Boyle-Cleary
Gannon-Shields- ? - Massey/Leahy
DKelly-Hoban-Duffy

Where the question mark guy becomes one of McEleney, Sloggett, Flores, Patching, Murray. And would they play beside Shields in a flat four or more of a diamond? There aren't that many obvious positional switches that don't appear like either a drop in quality or a lad being out of position.