Tottenham Hotspur 1 v 0 Dundalk 81/82 European Cup Winners Cup 2nd Round 2nd Leg

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

cooney
Reserves
Reserves

Tottenham Hotspur 1 v 0 Dundalk 81/82 European Cup Winners Cup 2nd Round 2nd Leg

Post by cooney » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:32 am

Stumbled upon these highlights that were recently uploaded to Youtube, not sure if its been posted before apologies if so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8qvUSX ... e=youtu.be

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Tottenham Hotspur 1 v 0 Dundalk 81/82 European Cup Winners Cup 2nd Round 2nd Leg

Post by mike » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:24 am

Thanks for posting, saw that before but not for years. Nice comments from the commentator, sounds like Jim Rosenthal, then at the very end by Brian Moore. We forget this was the second round and Spurs got into the last 8 I think after this game.

We beat Fram of Iceland 4-0 (5-2 on agg) in the previous round.

One very uncharacteristic slip by Tommy Mc I noticed in the clip, with a terrible back pass, should have led to another goal for Spurs.

The home game 1-1 was a brilliant night, without doubt one of the greatest moments in Mick Fairclough career with his goal to cap off a brilliant year as he also scored the second in the cup final the previous April. He also got a full Ireland cap this year, with the debacle FAI tour of South America, the last DFC player to be capped.

Just on the 1-1 home game, I remember reading Dermot Keely comments years ago, he had left DFC end of previous season, and the night of this game he was playing in a gold cup or minor cup game for Glentoran, he was honest enough to say there was only one place he would have preferred to have been playing that evening !

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Tottenham Hotspur 1 v 0 Dundalk 81/82 European Cup Winners Cup 2nd Round 2nd Leg

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:53 pm

I know someone who went to the away leg, we had 400-500 at it which was not bad in those days before cheap flights. I remember the abuse Ray Clemence got behind the town end goal in the second half. Wasn’t for the faint hearted. Home game was fab and was no surprise we got something from the game. I remember going up the night before to see a spurs train and Hoddle was whipping the corners in like nothing I have seen before

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:45 pm

Dundalkfc.com report:
The large contingent of Dundalk supporters who made the trip to north London will remember this game as another superb European display. Another drubbing was predicted but as in the 1st Leg Dundalk made Tottenham, who had comfortably eliminated Ajax Amsterdam in the previous round, sweat right to the end. After the match Tottenham boss, Keith Burkinshaw, admitted that he was a relieved man: “I am pleased that we are through. The crowd think you can go out and score 5 or 6 but it was not like that. I was very worried and relieved to just get through. Their level of fitness surprised us. We thought our superior fitness would help us more than it did”. Jim McLaughlin was delighted with his team: “I am extremely proud of them. Our big fear was being shown up but the players did a tremendous job. We were never over-awed and as time went on we were hoping for a break”.

With Tottenham’s fine new stand not yet ready, 33,500 people crammed into three sections of the ground. Spurs started with a frenetic pace and forced a seemingly endless series of corners. A combination of poor finishing and brilliant defending meant that Dundalk survived the opening onslaught. on 4 minutes Blackmore produced a great save to deny Archibald. Despite the pressure and the chances being squandered Ritchie was not called upon to save Dundalk again until just before half time when he produced a stunning save to deny Chris Hughton. It was not all just Tottenham in the first half and Dundalk very nearly took the lead after 20 minutes. This was when Mick Fairclough’s flick on deceived Clemence and the ball was frantically cleared off the line for a corner. Despite Ardiles and Galvin having great games for Spurs Dundalk somehow managed to hold on till half time.

Spurs again started making incessant attacks on the Dundalk goal at the start of the second half. But after 10 minutes or so Dundalk upped their game. Barry Kehoe in particular was playing with great confidence. But then in the 63rd minute Dundalk conceded a very soft goal. Tommy McConville, who played another superb match, lost his footing while attempting to clear a Hoddle corner. The ball fell at the feet of Garth Crooks whose shot seemed to be covered by Blackmore but took a deflection of the despairing challenge of Paddy Dunning and went into the net. After all the good work it was hard to believe that Spurs could score from such a scrappy goal.

Dundalk tried their best to get back into the game and Mick Fairclough came closest when he headed a Martin Lawlor cross just wide of the goal. Dundalk though by the end were hanging on. Steve Archibald hit the underside of the bar and Blackmore made a good save from Glen Hoddle.

To say that it was a gallant effort does not do justice to Dundalk’s performances over the two legs. At the end of the match the Dundalk team received a standing ovation not just from the travelling support but also from the Tottenham fans who knew that they had been in a real battle to get through.

Tottenham Hotspur:

Clemence, Hughton, Miller, Roberts, Hazard, Perryman, Ardiles, Archibald, Galvin, Hoddle, Crooks.

Dundalk:

Blackmore, Gregg, Lawlor, Dunning, McConville, Flanagan, Byrne, Kehoe, Duff, Fairclough, Carlyle.

Subs: Archibold for Duff, Reilly for Carlyle.
https://www.dundalkfc.com/history/dunda ... m-hotspur/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:45 pm

Reilly the sub, he was a brother of a mate of mine, Jimmy. He later moved to England and played for his work team, Heathrow or Gatwick Airport, he was banging the goals in for them, word got round he played league football. The team mates didn't believe he played in a ECWC game and at WHL, he took the match prog in one time, they believed him then !