Dundalk V Derry City | Fri 14 Feb | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 1

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Dundalk V Derry City | Fri 14 Feb | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 1

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:36 pm

Opening night looming

Derry represent a formidable challenge and certainly caused us lots of problems last season.

It could be a cracking match to start the season.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Derry City | Fri 14 Feb | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 1

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:28 am

Fresh southerly winds forecast (as on Sunday)....game may not go ahead.

Derry losing Parkhouse and Junior has weakened them. McCormack and Clifford are uninspiring recruits.

3- 1 Dundalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:28 am
Fresh southerly winds forecast (as on Sunday)....game may not go ahead.

Derry losing Parkhouse and Junior has weakened them. McCormack and Clifford are uninspiring recruits.

3- 1 Dundalk
I would be very wary about dismissing their chances only on the basis of those players

There is no doubt that Parkhouse and Junior gave them goals and a cutting edge last season. They may also miss the creativity of Barry McNammee

They have signed three new forwards - Walter Figueira from Waterford; Tim Nilsen a 27-year old striker with a decent goal-scoring record in Norway who has also played in Sweden and Russia; Moussa Bakayoko who has signed from FC Shirak in Armenia, where he played over 70 times for the club in the last 2 years.

Apart from McCromack and Clifford midfield signings they have also taken in a ROI u-21 international, Stephen Mallon on a 6 month loan deal from Sheffield Utd.

They have also added a couple of defenders to give them more options and strength in depth
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:43 pm

I can see us having another slow start to be honest. None of the lads we rely on to be consistently at the top of their game pulled up any trees in pre season. Might be April or May before we're into the swing of things. Hope I'm completely wrong of course.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:29 pm

I think it may have been a blessing in disguise yesterdays Presidents cup match being postponed.

More time to concentrate on a more important game, no new injury worries - yesterdays game was always going to be a tough match. I think and hope we will hit the ground running.

Ill be optimistic and say 2-0 Dundalk, albeit a tough encounter, be great to get a clean sheet.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:54 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:43 pm
I can see us having another slow start to be honest. None of the lads we rely on to be consistently at the top of their game pulled up any trees in pre season. Might be April or May before we're into the swing of things. Hope I'm completely wrong of course.
Last season there were reasonable expectations of us getting 9 points from the first 3 matches before meeting Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght in match 4; the return was a paltry 5 points (Sligo Rovers 1-1 home; Finn Harps 1-1 away; UCD 2-1 home)

These years first three are probably more difficult (Derry City at home; Shelboure away; Cork City home), but a similar return of 5 points would be a very disappointing total before going to Tallaght to play Shamrock Rovers.

We really need to start off with a win against Derry to build some momentum - I would be really concerned if we had another slow start, but see no reason why there should be.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:14 pm

We seem to be perennial slow starters so hopefully we can change that this year. However our slow starts always turn into fantastic mid season runs where we burn the main opposition off. I can see that happening again if I’m honest . The problem with that this year is I don’t think rovers will drop as many points to bohs this season as last. Having said that, rovers still haven’t signed a striker who could win them the league .

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:41 pm

Devine targets 2020 silverware with 'fired up' Derry primed for Dundalk opener

Declan Devine says his players will be “fired up” for Friday night’s League of Ireland opener against Dundalk FC.

The Derry City manager has named returning midfielder Conor McCormack, a native of Greenore, as the club’s captain ahead of a season in which The Candystripes return to European football.

City finished fourth last term, three points behind Bohemians in third, and lost their grip on the League Cup by suffering a final defeat to Dundalk on penalties.

Though, despite seeing last season’s leading scorers, Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe and David Parkhouse, depart, Devine has set lofty targets for 2020, including silverware.

“My target this year is to finish higher in the league, to win two cups, qualify for Europe and keep The Brandywell full,” Devine told Drive 105. “If we do that then I’ll look back on it as a great season.

“Whether we can achieve those targets will remain to be seen, but when you start out at the start of the year you want to get better.

“I also want to get through a round in Europe and that depends on the luck of the draw. The last two times I’ve been here, the first time we got Trabzonspor - it’s very difficult to beat them, and the second time, after I left, we got Aberystwyth and that worked out relatively comfortably for the club.”

Derry took a point from both of their trips to Oriel Park last term, though they failed to accrue anything bar defeat in the return fixtures. That was a common trend across City’s meetings with the other top four components and Devine is adamant their head-to-head record has to improve.

“Last year we did cause Dundalk problems, but we didn’t win a game against them - that’s the reality,” he added. “We did not beat them, Shamrock Rovers or Bohemians, the three teams who finished above us. Our goal this year is to get a bit closer to those three teams. We want to make sure we turn the screw this year and it’s absolutely critical that we now try to take points off the top three.

“If that starts on Friday night, great, but we’re under no illusions that it’s going to be extremely difficult; they’re the league champions for a reason.

“They’ve been the main force in Irish football over a long period of time and were a penalty kick away from doing the treble - which, thankfully, they didn’t given our history in doing it.

“They’re the benchmark and we have to make sure we’re at our complete best to have a chance of getting anything out of the game.

“The players will be fired up. We’d love to have Dundalk on an off day, but Dundalk don’t tend to have too many off days over the course of a season.”

On his newly-appointed skipper, who ended a three-year stint at Cork City to rejoin The Brandywell outfit, Devine was hugely complimentary.

“The main man on the pitch this year is going to be Conor McCormack. He’s got unbelievable experience, he’s a brilliant leader on the pitch and his application since the day and hour he came into this club has been second to none.

“His statistics, running, drive and determination, bringing people with him, has been fantastic over pre-season and when we went to speak to him, he had financially better offers to go elsewhere, in the Irish League and League of Ireland, but he really wanted to come and play for Derry City.

“That, on its own, is something that really appeals to me… If the general public seen of Conor McCormack what myself and the coaching staff have seen since he’s come in, it’s a no-brainer... I think he’ll be a brilliant addition as captain this year.”

He added: “Conor was looking from the outside-in last year and one of the things he said was that he really liked what we were doing and saw the crowds that were coming to The Brandywell. He saw the togetherness of the players and supporters in really rallying the club last year. He said from day dot that he really wanted to be a part of it.

“Conor loves this football club, he has a great feeling for it and his application to training so far has been magnificent. But more than that, I think he’ll be a player on the pitch who can spit a bit of fire. He plays with a lot of aggression, but he’s also got a calming influence.

“He can show our young players - and we have a lot of young players again this year - what it takes to win matches in the League of Ireland.”
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/soc ... pener.html

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 am

Could be an entertaining 2-2 draw... Again or a 1-0 for us. Derry a difficult side and devine is a good manager. They'll be in the shake up for top four this year again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:15 pm

Neil Doyle is the man in the middle

It could be worse - Rob Hennessy gets the Dublin derby and as usual is liable to make some madcap decisions

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Declan Devine as part of a wider BBC interview
"It's a terrific game in many ways," he added. "It's a great chance for us to see how far the team has progressed over the course of our pre-season programme.

"It's the biggest game in Ireland on Friday night, between what are historically two of the biggest clubs in the league. We want to get to the levels Dundalk are at."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51451227

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:02 pm

James Rogers has Murray ruled out with ‘a slight knock’

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:38 pm

Team news

Manager Vinny Perth will be without John Mountney who remains out after having a minor clean up and we will be without Sean Murray who has a knock New Signing Stefan Colovic isn’t available for selection however the rest of the squad are fit and in contention.
https://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-vs-derry-city-15/

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:39 pm

Last 10 meetings with Derry City (All competitions)

04.10.2019 (LGE) Dundalk 1-0 Derry City (D. Kelly 64)

14.09.2019 (LCUP) Derry City 2-2 Dundalk (Parkhouse 3, Ozokwe 51; Duffy 38, Gannon 68)

23.08.2019 (FCUP) Derry City 2-3 Dundalk (Sloggett 51, McCauley 84; D. Kelly, Cleary 53, G. Kelly 53)

05.07.2019 (LGE) Derry City 2-2 Dundalk (Parkhouse 41, Junior 90; G. Kelly 57, Hoban 90)

03.05.2019 (LGE) Dundalk 2-2 Derry City (Hoban 51. 60; Cole 68. Stokes pen 81)

15.03.2019 (LGE) Derry City 0-2 Dundalk (Murray 37, Hoban pen 52)

25.09.2018 (LGE) Dundalk 3-2 Derry City (Cleary 16, McEleney 20, Hoban 44; Jarvis OG 70, Fisk 89)

15.06.2018 (LGE) Derry City 0-4 Dundalk (Benson 41, Connolly 62, Hoban 74, Duffy 82)

15.05.2018 (LGE) Derry City 1-4 Dundalk (Cole 12; Gartland 28, Benson 33, Duffy 50, Adorján 90)

20.04.2018 (LGE) Dundalk 2-2 Derry City (Benson 6, Duffy 45; McEneff pen 42, Toal 47)

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:39 pm

Last 10 meetings with Derry City (All competitions)

04.10.2019 (LGE) Dundalk 1-0 Derry City (D. Kelly 64)

14.09.2019 (LCUP) Derry City 2-2 Dundalk (Parkhouse 3, Ozokwe 51; Duffy 38, Gannon 68)

23.08.2019 (FCUP) Derry City 2-3 Dundalk (Sloggett 51, McCauley 84; D. Kelly, Cleary 53, G. Kelly 53)

05.07.2019 (LGE) Derry City 2-2 Dundalk (Parkhouse 41, Junior 90; G. Kelly 57, Hoban 90)

03.05.2019 (LGE) Dundalk 2-2 Derry City (Hoban 51. 60; Cole 68. Stokes pen 81)

15.03.2019 (LGE) Derry City 0-2 Dundalk (Murray 37, Hoban pen 52)

25.09.2018 (LGE) Dundalk 3-2 Derry City (Cleary 16, McEleney 20, Hoban 44; Jarvis OG 70, Fisk 89)

15.06.2018 (LGE) Derry City 0-4 Dundalk (Benson 41, Connolly 62, Hoban 74, Duffy 82)

15.05.2018 (LGE) Derry City 1-4 Dundalk (Cole 12; Gartland 28, Benson 33, Duffy 50, Adorján 90)

20.04.2018 (LGE) Dundalk 2-2 Derry City (Benson 6, Duffy 45; McEneff pen 42, Toal 47)