Dundalk V St Patricks Ath | Fri 13 March | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 6

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Dundalk V St Patricks Ath | Fri 13 March | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 6

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:00 pm

St Pats have been a bit hit and miss so far this season with wins over at home to Cork (1-0) and away to Sligo (2-0) mixed in with defeats away to Shels (0-1) and at home to Waterford (0-1).

I expect that we will build on the decent result away to Finn Harps and put another 3 points on the board. Hopefully VP can also integrate the returning Patrick McEleney back towards full fitness and that Stefan Colovic gets more game time. Maybe Jordan Flores will also get a start
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V St Patricks Ath | Fri 13 March | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 6

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:47 pm

James Rogers
@jamesdundalk
Paul McLaughlin will referee the Dundalk v St Patrick's Athletic match on Friday
https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 9205064705
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:34 pm

I’d be very surprised if this game actually goes ahead. The government sub committee on C virus is next meeting on Friday morning and I’d say it’ll recommend all mass gatherings including LOI and Gaa matches to be cancelled. Schools prob next week or week after too. Games might have to be played without fans as an alternative, which would be a pain in the hole

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:52 am

I suspect it will be played but may be the last one for several weeks. From a selfish point of view at least it's early in the league season, so we have plenty of time to get the games played, and from a Dundalk point of view our squad are better equipped than most to deal with a glut of games later in the year

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:34 am

Was thinking the same. It would be the correct decision. Not traveling myself as I've a young kid and family with asthma issues. Not worth the risk.

Also from a footballing point of view, games behind closed doors, to keep the season going? Would that not be recommended?

Absolute lunacy that Cheltenham went ahead and premier League games still with full houses.

muppet
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by muppet » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:17 am

Sneachta wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:34 am

Also from a footballing point of view, games behind closed doors, to keep the season going? Would that not be recommended?
Clubs in the league rely almost solely on gate income so playing behind closed doors with kill most clubs financially. Better to postpone and start it up later.

While it might be the right decision to cancel these games due to the crowds together, I don’t think cancelling league of Ireland games will make much difference. Sure there are some big pubs and clubs in Dublin and elsewhere around the country that will have more people in them this Friday night than most LoI grounds.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:12 pm

Memories of the Foot and Mouth crisis. Dundalk were the only club within 20 miles (?) of an outbreak so we had extra restrictions compared to the rest of the league. Played a couple of extra games behind closed doors or in Drogheda. It could have cost us promotion. So we weren't allowed to play in Oriel in front of 1,500 while mass, pubs, shopping centres were all business as usual. Stopping sports being played outside while allowing cinema, theatre, pubs, mass, shopping centres, public transport etc to continue is tokenism.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:30 pm

Also I'm not sure if it was ever publicly admitted, but Foot and Mouth did severe damage to the Co-Op. We went two months without a game in Oriel I think at a time when gates were the lifeblood of the club.

Behind closed doors would still be a bit of a disaster.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:34 am
Was thinking the same. It would be the correct decision. Not traveling myself as I've a young kid and family with asthma issues. Not worth the risk.

Absolute lunacy that Cheltenham went ahead and premier League games still with full houses.
I reckon the attendance will be down at least a couple of hundred on the night purely due to C virus

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Looks like this one plus away to Bohs on Fri 20, home to Waterford on Fri 27 are going to be affected by the general shutdown. Personally hope they're postponed rather than played behind closed doors

grayzer75
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by grayzer75 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:38 pm

seand wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm
Looks like this one plus away to Bohs on Fri 20, home to Waterford on Fri 27 are going to be affected by the general shutdown. Personally hope they're postponed rather than played behind closed doors
An announcement expected this afternoon but highly likely no games for a number of weeks.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:22 pm

grayzer75 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:38 pm
seand wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm
An announcement expected this afternoon but highly likely no games for a number of weeks.
Which club will go bust before this is over??? Who will be first???

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:14 pm

According to James Rogers, tomorrows game is OFF

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:06 pm

Carrick_Road wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:14 pm
According to James Rogers, tomorrows game is OFF
He's hardly sticking his neck out with that one considering all outdoor gatherings over 500 and indoor over 100 are banned as of 6pm this evening.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:46 pm

Personally, I'd be amazed if we see a match this side of Easter, unless this shutdown proves very effective or a temperature rise kills off the virus. My preference would be for the season to be extended up to end of November or Christmas or whatever. Games behind closed doors or writing off a series of matches would be financially ruinous for clubs.