New Membership Scheme

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

New Membership Scheme

Post by superman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: New Membership Scheme

Post by superman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:17 pm

Very excited for new membership scheme, much needed, and will be delighted to join since Im living abroad!

......But not to be a negative nelly to the people that obvisouly put it hard effort......, but seems more similar to a go-fund-me campaign rather than a team membership scheme, which is fair given the current circumstances.

15 euro (plus VAT needlessly sneakly, makes 18.45 euro) is expensive, its more annually than a season ticket for the shed, and after one month of membership doesnt really offer enough.... bare minimum they should be offering discount season tickets/match day and first choice on tickets.

Of course I will join, but mostly because I dont pay for match day tickets.
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:26 pm

It's a wonderful idea. Yes, 200+ notes a year is a lot and will have to be backed up with a lot of quality content that can't be sourced elsewhere. But I believe Gavin is up to providing that. I don't agree with you about Gofundme - Patreon is the go to app for this sort of modern subscriber content. I'm looking forward to hearing more podcasts in particular.

The season ticket is already a savage discount on paying match by match. It's less than a tenner a match for the ground as it is. Further discounts would be a mockery. Exclusive merch, signed photos and jerseys etc would be nice, though. Pretty sure I never got my bottle of plonk from the Patron scheme back in the day!

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 pm

€221 a year seems an ambitious price point.

I'll probably opt for it, but I think this will struggle to generate more than €20k for the club
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:09 pm

They're up to 30 tonight already. I think they'll manage a couple of hundred comfortably enough.

An additional 'DFCKids' patreon with lighter, tailored content for under-16s, for a fiver a month might also be a good idea.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:23 pm

El Paso wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:09 pm
They're up to 30 tonight already. I think they'll manage a couple of hundred comfortably enough.

An additional 'DFCKids' patreon with lighter, tailored content for under-16s, for a fiver a month might also be a good idea.
That's a decent start, hopefully it does attract decent numbers that provides a worthwhile financial return to the club
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:32 am

A great idea. It’s a fans scheme/ fund raiser. It’s a fiver a week. Probably not feasible on the club’s part to offer it any cheaper.
For me, I’d like it if there was an option to put another name on any personalised merchandise ( eg my child’s ). Also maybe an idea to have some of the postgame interviews as exclusives for members?

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Post by McNultys Discopants » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:45 am

Crazy money, 23% VAT on top another big chunk, nothing of value for me in it. Digital content which I rarely bother with.

Probably more suited to ex-pats/people abroad. I'll spend the €200 supporting the team away from home instead.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:07 am

Gavin McLoughlin clearly has a pivotal role in providing the digital content that is at the heart of this scheme. I have no doubt that he can deliver on this and I suspect that this confidence is widespread among supporters; hence likely to be a significant factor in people deciding to sign-up or not.

One concern is that this exclusive content project leads to their being much less connection with other supporters through a reduction in mainstream website and social media articles by the club. Unless the right balance is found there is the possibility that the stated aim "of growing and improving the relationship between the club, our supporters and the local community" is negatively impacted

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:07 am

Gavin McLoughlin clearly has a pivotal role in providing the digital content that is at the heart of this scheme. I have no doubt that he can deliver on this and I suspect that this confidence is widespread among supporters; hence likely to be a significant factor in people deciding to sign-up or not.

One concern is that this exclusive content project leads to their being much less connection with other supporters through a reduction in mainstream website and social media articles by the club. Unless the right balance is found there is the possibility that the stated aim "of growing and improving the relationship between the club, our supporters and the local community" is negatively impacted

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by gavinmclaughlin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:56 am

Hi folks, with the launch of the membership scheme, it's probably a good time to come back and post on here.

Thanks to everyone who has signed up thus far and for all of the feedback we've received. I'll try and answer some of the queries that have popped up here and online over the past 12 hours or so and if anyone has anything they'd like to ask etc, feel free to get in touch. This scheme won't work if it doesn't have input from the people who have signed up to it.

When I took the job in January, one of the main briefs was to try and strengthen the links and communication with the supporters and the local community. One of the ideas we had was to create a new, revamped membership scheme that would keep fans in the loop and give them benefits and better access to the club.

COVID-19, and the disruption it has caused to the season, has allowed us to develop and finalise projects that were scheduled for later in the year. With this scheme, we're probably six months ahead of where we imagined we would be and going forward, the wider aim is to revamp our website and make it capable of hosting a members area with different tiers. To bridge that gap, we've gone with Patreon which is the leader in subscription services like this.

We've looked at other club membership schemes around the LOI (Shels, Cork City, Rovers, Pat's) and Europe and the benefits they offer and we believe we've priced it very reasonably. People have mentioned the VAT charge and I can fully understand that which is why we made it clear on the website article and Patreon page details that VAT is excluded. Shelbourne for example, don't mention VAT until you get to the checkout.

The VAT is dealt with and charged by Patreon so the only other option was to look at including it in the overall price - and even then VAT is accrued at different charges worldwide which would make things messy. Cork's Patreon is advertised at €25 a month with VAT included. If, for example, we had set it at €15 including VAT, the club would get €12.20 out of that and that's before Patreon and withdrawal fees are charged. If we had set it at €20 a month, including VAT, we would have taken €16.26 so we have tried to find a balance.

In terms of the benefits, some people have mentioned a junior membership scheme and things like Q and A nights, meet and greet sessions, ticket offers etc. They’re all features that will be added when the current restrictions are lifted and we get back to ‘normal’. At this moment in time, we have no games and our players aren't even allowed into Oriel Park so we didn't want to advertise things that we just can’t deliver.

We don't want this to become stale, as other schemes have become in the past, and make people feel like we're just taking their money simply because they love the club. We want to be as transparent as we can with what we offer and make it feel like proper value for money so, again, please feel free to contact me on this, by email or on any of the club's social media channels with suggestions, criticisms etc.

Cheers,
Gavin

buster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by buster » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:04 pm

I'm sorry to be the odd one out here,as an oap and a supporter for over 60 years,I'm afraid I just can't afford this.I already pay around 200 euro from my pension for my season ticket and to be asked to pay another 230 for the prevlidge of a bit extra news and a podcast or something similar .This is a total of around 440/450euro a lot from an oap ,so this now means the supporters that can afford the scheme will be leaving the guys like me way behind I'm afraid .I also think the timing was poor with Corona virus , people off work,no football, having paid for season tickets (I know that this is not the clubs fault) now being asked to support another scheme and dividing the support in my view.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi Gavin

Thanks for post here and addressing some of the issues raised.

VAT
Is the requirement to charge VAT unique to the Patreon platform?
Does the VAT issue become redundant once there is a members section on the website?

Transparency
I can understand that some people are negative about the lack of transparency around the VAT. The promotional poster on social media and the website only features the €15 and you need to read the detail on the website or sign-up page to learn about the additional 23%

Illustrating Shelbournes approach shows that it can be done worse, not that this approach is ideal.

Website content
Can you reassure Buster or others who feel that they can't afford it, that he won't be left "in the dark" through reduced free website/social media content?

Do you envisage other initiatives aimed at the casual supporter within the community feeling more connected with the club

I have no doubt that you will deliver an excellent service on this new scheme

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ArFella » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:57 pm

I signed up last night too and think it's an excellent initiative, most clubs in Europe have some form of membership scheme so this brings us up to standard and in my opinion adds another degree of professionalism to the club and League as a whole. I consume every piece of DFC media I can get my hands on so it's a no brainer for me and with Gavin the driving force behind it I have no doubt the quality will be excellent which justifies the price for me. I do understand the concerns of some who won't be able to afford it and I'd like to think the club could consider a student/OAP/unemployed discount tier that knocked a €5er or so off it along with a kids club option (mentioned a few times) or a family package, the fans who can afford it will pay full price but in these difficult times where many have lost jobs and will be on much tighter budget (especially if you a few DFC mad kids) it might not be feasible to purchase this along with the season ticket and new jersey/whatever else. I agree with Ezeikial above that it's important not to put too much behind the paywall in terms of online content to avoid the non-subscribing fans feeling ignored/priced out by the club but I'm sure that's something they have looked at and will have a digital media strategy (can't believe I've just typed those words in relation to our wee club!) in place. All in all, I'm really excited about this big step being taken by the club and look forward to some fantastic content until we can get back to Oriel to cheer the lads on (And have a pint of Harp not out of a can!)
Mon the Town!

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:15 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:45 am
Crazy money, 23% VAT on top another big chunk, nothing of value for me in it. Digital content which I rarely bother with.

Probably more suited to ex-pats/people abroad. I'll spend the €200 supporting the team away from home instead.
Not for the foreseeable future you won’t !