Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ex DLK players in UK & elsewhere

Post by El Paso » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:25 pm

Ah. Of course. got the sequence arse over tit.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:30 pm

The Mirror has an interesting piece on the relationship between Robbie Benson and Stephen O'Donnell at St Pats. I'm not sure that this comment from Benson will play out well with his manager if he follows through on this it
“In terms of bringing me on board, it was very relaxed. He’s going to challenge me, and I’ll challenge him as well.
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... n-20925314
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Video clip of Daryl Horgan's cracking goal at the weekend

https://twitter.com/spfl/status/1198979658693271552
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:34 pm

Stephen McDonnell on Warrenpoint experience, his departure and coaching future

For all his good work and given the clear signs of progress last season, one could say that Stephen McDonnell had earned a slice of fortune as manager of Warrenpoint Town.

But, as he openly admits, that’s now how football works and as the 27-year-old ponders his next move, a month since parting ways with the Milltown men, the former Dundalk FC midfielder is continuing to digest the harsh lessons dealt.

“I’m understanding of how it ended and why they have done it,” McDonnell says of his dismissal just 12 games into the new campaign, with the Point sitting bottom of the NIFL Premiership.

“If they feel that that was the right decision, then that’s ok by me because it’s part and parcel of the game.

“The new manager has gone into a squad that’s very light on its feet and with a lot of injuries.”

Therein lies the core problem, ultimately. Your writer met with a Warrenpoint player during pre-season, where they made a bold prediction in claiming their ability to “surprise a few” this year. But McDonnell acknowledged the reality was different.

Having lost Simon Kelly, his captain, to retirement, Mark Griffin and Philip Donnelly for personal reasons, Seanna Foster to Cliftonville and seen long-term injuries hamper Jake O’Connor and Fra McCaffrey’s roles, the manager’s task was an unenvious one.

Not that McDonnell feels the outcome of his only full season at the helm can or has been underestimated, or forgotten either.

The Point easily avoided the drop last season, ending on a record points’ tally as the County Down outfit closed in their highest-ever league position, to go along with an Irish Cup semi-final appearance.

“I still think people will look at the overall package,” he adds. “Football people will understand (the subsequent struggles).

“To get a job like that so young was something that I don’t think any lad in the same position would say no to. It certainly came ahead of time, but we did a good job, enjoyed it and learned a lot.

“Even now, being relieved of the duty, I can reflect back and say that I’ve had that experience. It’s good.

“We came through our first full campaign having put a squad together and been able to bring in some big names, but ultimately losing those big names to bigger clubs is what cost us on the pitch because we weren’t able to replace them with similar quality.

“When I reflect back, we’ve been relieved from our duties after 12 games. It’s not like 25 games when the club are dead and buried. They felt it was right to make the change, but we’ll only know that come game week 38.”

Warrenpoint “were the smallest club in the league by a country mile” and “always the underdog”, which seems to add to McDonnell’s sense of satisfaction at the positive work he managed.

“It’s been an invaluable experience that many people out there, at 27, probably haven’t been in the same position. For me going forward, it’s going to be a great foundation for my coaching career.”

That career, he hopes, will take off in the new year as he targets the start of his UEFA Pro Licence qualification, the final badge McDonnell needs to complete his coaching set.

There have been “a few opportunities” since his parting of ways with a club who he worked for in a full-time capacity, doubling his first-team commitments with the managing of the club’s overall youth structure. So, at present, he’s out of work and actively seeking another chance.

“Getting into a full-time role would be a preference of mine and hopefully something isn’t too far away,” says McDonnell.

“I’ve no particular niche in that I’m very hands-on and creative in terms of being either a manager or a coach. There is a difference in the roles, but I try to approach it with a similar mindset.

“It’s not about whether I’m a manager, or an assistant, or a first-team coach, or an academy manager… I’m not going to pigeon hole myself as a manager, I see myself as being capable of filling every one of those positions. I’m very open to the right project and being in the right place; that’s the next progression for me.”

The country’s youngest professional manager. The Passionate One? He won’t be out of the game for long.
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... dI.twitter

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:46 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:54 pm
Sneachta wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:06 pm
Richie towel on the score sheet for Salford in the FA cup yesterday

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
Excellent goal it was too. Tradematk Towell goal.
Video clip of that goal. which wins Salford GOTM comp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6LbfCEWjjs

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:51 pm

Ex Dundalk Defender Dean Jarvis has signed for Larne.

Very suprised at that one, thought he would of went back to Derry.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50649985

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Larne seem to be really pushing on, financially, but that's a surprise alright.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Ciaran O'Connor: Glentoran sign midfielder from Warrenpoint Town

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50661238

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 pm

That Jersey template looks very familiar

0rl
Reserves
Reserves

Post by 0rl » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Shoco wrote:That Jersey template looks very familiar
Which one? The Warrenpoint one?

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:01 pm

The Glentoran one he is posing in

0rl
Reserves
Reserves

Post by 0rl » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:09 pm

Shoco wrote:The Glentoran one he is posing in
Ah it's in the link within the article. Yeah looks like the Mayo jersey alright :-)