Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

muppet
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Ground Standards

Postby muppet » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Despite all the calls here to fix up the away section first, I hope if any improvements are made they are done to the home section first. The last thing that should be improved is the away section as there is no tangible return to do that.
A handful of away fans should not drive how we prioritise how we improve our ground.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:59 am

Rumours of the consortium buying the Derryhale doing the rounds again.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:16 pm

muppet wrote:Despite all the calls here to fix up the away section first, I hope if any improvements are made they are done to the home section first. The last thing that should be improved is the away section as there is no tangible return to do that.
A handful of away fans should not drive how we prioritise how we improve our ground.

I agree. However, decent toilet facilities are a different matter.

Aways fans who want shelter can always go into the away section of the stand. Those seats give the best view of a game from any away section in the league.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Long term view for ground redevelopment. Build a modest new build behind town goal. I'm sure you can get a similar stand to what Sligo have there behind their railway end, 2k, but covered. Then look at extending both sides of the stand but to around half the height to manage the planning and costs.

Short term if they have no interest doing major spends, roof both sides of the stand and build proper toilets in the ground and better lighting for fans. Then open the YDC for the shed side. The latter has been talked about as a pre match hospitality etc, but it would be an awful shame if we open the 2019 season as champions again, with virtually nothing done. There will be almost 4 months with no senior football in oriel. Plenty of time to get even basic things done.

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 pm

If there ever was to be a new stand, it may not be the most popular opinion, but I think there needs to be some corporate hospitality aspect. I am sayin that in hoping that increased corporate hospitality means greater sponsorship which then knocks on to other areas of the ground. But as has been mentioned here many times very very basic stuff needs sorting. I'd be surprised if Orelweb is not read by people at Peak6/club admin and often the quick fix is exactly that - doing some basics like getting toilets clean and functional, sweeping and weeding terraced areas, getting rid of rubbish stored around the place like the back of the away terrace, bricking up those old turnstiles and painting the whole place after. Removing any remnants of rusty barbed wire like around the rear of the Lilywhite Lounge/entrance to the stand. To do most of this stuff is barely a 4 figure sum and yet would be noticed by fans!!

The one thing about the away section and it never gets mentioned is the manhole that drops half a foot below the terrace in the area at the rear of the lounge. Yes there are big yellow warning lnes around it but It is the most dangerous aspect of the away section that ive seen rather than inconviences that get moaned about and seen as danger.
Last edited by dell1 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:54 pm

There are so many quick fixes that could be done, and I`m almost sick of non regulars who go to the big games only (fine by me, we need all levels of support), and continuously ask me 'could they not even paint the town side of the stand white, it looks just awful'.

I like the idea that Mal Brannigan has suggested about turning oriel into a better pre match experience where most fans don't turn up just 5-10 mins before ko, thats good and its a great idea, we also have to address the basics though.

We have all seen the photos / videos of the back of the away area, and nothing has been done for years, its like a dumping ground. That away end needs bulldozed really.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Its all about the new owners investing in there investment. To bring the club out of the dark ages & have
facilities that will stand to the club going forward. That’s not rocket science & I expect that they have this well in hand .

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby marmulade » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:04 pm

I'm sure that Peak6 management are anxiously refreshing OrielWeb as we speak.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Munster rugby put in a 3,300 seat stand the length of one side of Musgrave Park, and refurbed and covered the terrace on the other side also the length of the pitch. It cost 3.2 million 2 years ago. Very roughly you’d need an extra 1000 stand season tickets at 300 euro a pop to be sold to make that kind of thing viable, which isn’t outlandish i think.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Now , that’s a good post EL Paso , & we would all be able to watch the match in comfort.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Seems the Louth GAA ground development had got a stumbling block. Guess we will travelling to tallaght after all johnny

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Well Sneachta , I am based in Dublin & Tallaght would suit me , it is up there with the best night in our clubs history ,when we hammered the high flying Bate Borisov 3-0 .

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Can't disagree with that

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Finn Harp. €12 million for a capacity of 5600 on a greenfield site, which seems to be all in one stand judging by the image on the story.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/10 ... m-project/

Whatever chance we have of modest improvements for around 3 million where a return on investment is realistic I doubt Peak6 would ever look to plow that much in, even if it was all borrowed against the club.

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Fair play to the Harps.

Return to “General Discussion”