New Manager

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: New Manager

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:38 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:57 pm
Richie87 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 am There are in safe hands temporarily with Magilton as manager. Probably assessing all options before a
fair idea of a few candidates. The role of Football Director is to consider a potential manager.

I don't know why Gerry Malone keeps insisting to give the job to Magilton until end of season. He was brought into do a certain job, recruitment, market the club.
It's a big appointment for Jim Magilton as much as it is for Peak 6.
Absolutely correct and right Richie. Gerry should give it up. What would happen if JM did become manager and it didn’t work out? If Bill sacked him , he’d hardly stick around as director of football! We’d be faced with filling two roles.

I’m hoping the long wait might signal a move for a David Healy when the NI league finishes
Linfield going full time now so may not be willing to leave them.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Les's Fridge
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Les's Fridge » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:13 pm

It's a sad day when we have to hope for a Linfield manager to think about moving to Oriel, at his convenience.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:44 pm

Les's Fridge wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:13 pm It's a sad day when we have to hope for a Linfield manager to think about moving to Oriel, at his convenience.
Why is it a sad day? We had Kenny out of work at his lowest ebb. We had Jim McLaughlin who was hardly a seasoned manager. You're morning for the sake of it. If you don't want Healy then who would you like to see installed as manager?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:38 pm

Les's Fridge wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:13 pm It's a sad day when we have to hope for a Linfield manager to think about moving to Oriel, at his convenience.
The guy has won 3 leagues and is just about to get his 4th.
I’m just saying if he was interested I’d be prepared to wait a few weeks for him.
Having said that I have no inside info and could be completely wrong about him arriving but from the names doing the rounds he’s the best IMO

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:24 pm

David Healy , mentioned . Would be great if it happened .

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:48 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:24 pm David Healy , mentioned . Would be great if it happened .
Thats according to Gerry Malone. Yea i would be happy with that if it happens.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Tue May 04, 2021 3:32 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:48 pm
Johnnybegood33 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:24 pm David Healy , mentioned . Would be great if it happened .
Thats according to Gerry Malone. Yea i would be happy with that if it happens.
Would have to wonder what attracts him to Dundalk if that is the case and how he will cope with managing a full time outfit. Will certainly be interesting if he is brought in. Wouldnt be one I was expecting after hearing Linfield are going full time. Also a bit worried following the last trainer we got from them ......

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Tue May 04, 2021 4:00 pm

David Healy seems to be a good choice. LOI is a step up from Irish League, there is a lot less easy games, more dysfunctional league and higher expectations in Europe. But he is a league winner, young and should have some knowledge of proffessional football in Ireland. Linfield fans seem to have a super high opinion of Healy. Whoever it is , hopefully to God, they sort out the defence.

Does he hold the badges ?
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:53 pm

They had some good performances in Europe under Healy, which helps
A wait until the 21 of May, is not ideal for Dundalk ,if that's the talk.

He's probably attracted to work with a good budget for players at Dundalk. Not much more for him to achieve at Linfield. They are going full time, but Linfield wouldn't have owners like Peak 6.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Tue May 04, 2021 5:55 pm

Pepsi wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:32 pm
Would have to wonder what attracts him to Dundalk if that is the case and how he will cope with managing a full time outfit. Will certainly be interesting if he is brought in. Wouldnt be one I was expecting after hearing Linfield are going full time. Also a bit worried following the last trainer we got from them ......
I was thinking about this also on Trevor Anderson, so I looked it up. He had left Linfield 5 years possibly 6 when he came to us, and his previous club was Ards, so not strictly the same. If we got Healy I would consider it a coup, as he would be obviously leaving Linfield as their current manager.

The standard may be lower than top 4 in LOI, but they still had a (much) better euro campaign than us in 2019, and beat Qarabag at home, actually they played 6 that year, won 4, drew 1, lost 1, and only went out on away goals to Qarabag.

But is the rumour true ?

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Tue May 04, 2021 6:06 pm

Hope its true, like I mentioned above. Unless we are getting a manager who has managed at a high level and in the Europa League, Healy is certainly one who ticks all the boxes.
However, Gerry Malone’s source has known to be wrong a few times this last few months.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Tue May 04, 2021 6:09 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:06 pm Hope its true, like I mentioned above. Unless we are getting a manager who has managed at a high level and in the Europa League, Healy is certainly one who ticks all the boxes.
However, Gerry Malone’s source has known to be wrong a few times this last few months.
I think the rumour started here and Gerry picked it up. It wouldn’t be the first time.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Tue May 04, 2021 6:52 pm

GC. wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:09 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:06 pm Hope its true, like I mentioned above. Unless we are getting a manager who has managed at a high level and in the Europa League, Healy is certainly one who ticks all the boxes.
I think the rumour started here and Gerry picked it up. It wouldn’t be the first time.
Ahh come Gerry must have been talking to the birds today when he was spying on the Yuppies drinking their coffee out in the Rock.
Time will tell, however Healy wouldnt have been my first choice. Feel they could have got better with the budget on offer. Would Healy be the manager JM was saying they need, to come in and take it by the scruff of the neck???

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:04 pm

Why were none of these names mentioned in the media, names from all over the World?
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 44838.html

2 weeks on and bar Gerry Malone there is little talk of who the potential manager is. Magilton is good at talking the talk, but would want to back it up with a good appointment.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Tue May 04, 2021 8:11 pm

Richie87 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:04 pm Why were none of these names mentioned in the media, names from all over the World?
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 44838.html

2 weeks on and bar Gerry Malone there is little talk of who the potential manager is. Magilton is good at talking the talk, but would want to back it up with a good appointment.
Could be a few reasons for it ......
1. The leak within Oriel has been plugged and they are working professionally.
2. JM is still sorting his applicants.
3. They already have a manager lined up and are waiting for him to clean up lose ends with his current club.