Official Takeover Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Official Takeover Thread

Post by ArFella » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:45 pm

magarnagle wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:24 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:02 pm It's not oriel pulling at heartstrings. Personally I have no issue with us moving from oriel. But we are dundalk, we should play in Dundalk, not dunleer. Its all well and good saying it's only 20 mins down the road. But what about all those who don't drive and walk to every game? Dunleer isn't exactly known for it's transport system. Bottom line is it probably will never happen. For all the fai County Council government investment in this, both clubs would probably still have to divy up half the expenditure between them. Do you see drogheda having that kinda wedge? Or peak 6 putting that sum of investment on the table?
Nobody wants to see Dundalk FC play outside the town but we have to be realistic. Maybe it won't happen anytime soon but something will have to happen someday. If Dundalk are still playing in Oriel in 30 years time either some miracle redevelopment happened or we are a nothing club.

We all want to think our status and history should give us the right to have a new stadium in the town but it means nothing. Unless ourselves or Drogs go out of business the only logical way forward is a shared stadium. As for people who don't drive, that's not difficult to get around, buses from the town on match nights.

How much do Bohs and Shels have to put into Dalymount?
Come off it, we've been playing in Oriel Park for over 100 years does that make us a nothing club? We are a community club in the town of Dundalk not a European club playing in Ireland or any other nonsense that Peak6 want to sell us. Whatever about us being able to survive playing in Dunleer, Drogheda have no chance, their average attendance is under 1000 and would be competing against Dundalk for the local fans (all 1,800 if them!!!).

Playing in Dunleer is a terrible idea, sure why not just move the team to the Aviva rebrand as the Lilywhites FC like Peak6 are rumored to have looked at? It would be an objectively better option than moving to Dunleer for the club in nearly every department and sure it's only an hour from town, you can run busses, would attract a far larger local crowd, be better for attracting players, etc. The only downside would be people who care about Dundalk and sure look compared to the potential profit available pillowcase them, sure if they don't travel an hour down the road to watch them were they really even fans in the first place?
Mon the Town!

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:58 pm

ArFella wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:25 pm It's not about Oriel, it's about having community access to a community club, what percentage of our crowd is made up from schoolkids still in the uniform who head up to OP for something to do on a Friday night and fall in love with the club? The people who finish work of a Friday and want to head into town and have a few pints before watching the match? Older people who can't drive, may have no one else and live for walking up to Oriel of a Friday night? I would 100% travel to Dunleer to watch Dundalk if it ever came to it but I don't think the club would ever be the same, Dundalk FC in name only...
I get all that and as I say I'm being realistic not idealistic. You won't find one Dundalk fan, myself included who doesn't want the team playing in the town. I fear I'm repeating myself but the current owners, Louth CC, the government, whoever are not going to redeveloped Oriel to a level we require. Presuming the ultimate goal is to host the majority of European games at home.

The realistic conclusion is a shared stadium between both towns. The CC and Gov could look at it and say it should be in Drogheda as it has the bigger catchment area.... We'd all love Dunleer then.

Realistically people can still go into town have their pints and get shuttle buses to the game. Not ideal but people adapt. I think a stagnant Oriel is a bigger threat to the club than a stadium outside the town.

The flip side is an AIL might become a reality and other option become available

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:00 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:02 pm It's not oriel pulling at heartstrings. Personally I have no issue with us moving from oriel. But we are dundalk, we should play in Dundalk, not dunleer. Its all well and good saying it's only 20 mins down the road. But what about all those who don't drive and walk to every game? Dunleer isn't exactly known for it's transport system. Bottom line is it probably will never happen. For all the fai County Council government investment in this, both clubs would probably still have to divy up half the expenditure between them. Do you see drogheda having that kinda wedge? Or peak 6 putting that sum of investment on the table?
Finn Harps received just over 4 million of a Government grant,under large scale infrastructure grant. If Dundalk and Drogheda put up a good proposal they might get a good grant, and fund the rest themselves through different avenues. It's 2 club's so they should have some idea how to fundraise

The Minister for Sport Jack Chambers has said in the past he'd likes to see improvements on LOI grounds

shep
Reserves
Reserves

Post by shep » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:56 pm

It would be a sad day for this club if we ever have to travel to Dunleer to watch a match. Would be an absolute disaster. Whatever about Drogheda, this is Dundalk FC one of the proudest and most successful clubs in the country. Would Sligo move to Leitrim to play?? Would be the final nail in the coffin if this ever was to happen. And personally I would rather we were back scrapping it out in division 1 than having to move to Dunleer to a shiny new stadium. Not necessarily saying it has to be Oriel Park. But if the club wants a future and a fan base I think it would be madness not to play in Dundalk.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:25 pm

It is never going to happen. Why would two teams from two of the largest urban centers both move to a village? Why waste so much funds for a new stadium when it will alienate 80 or 90 percent of the fans?

(actually, there should be a poll....)

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:52 pm

Most are thinking about this idealistically. What would we want? Well we all want the same thing, redeveloped Oriel or close by (walking distance), capable of hosting European matches including group stages. Also I disagree it will alienate that number, will it alienate some? absolutely but there are Dundalk fans who refuse to go to Oriel now because a certain manager was sacked or they stopped selling bovril.

A poll would be no good if the options are A. Redevelop Oriel or B. More to Dunleer. We know the outcome of that. But it wouldn't be very realistic. Bar a miracle, the only way such a stadium is getting built is with CC and Gov funding and they are not going to build it in either town. So the poll options should be:

A. Move to a shared stadium between Dundalk and Drogheda
B. Stay in Oriel until it is condemned

Fwats
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fwats » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:15 pm

Why would a village want thousands of vehicles arriving on a Friday night.

Fwats
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fwats » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:18 pm

ArFella wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:25 pm It's not about Oriel, it's about having community access to a community club, what percentage of our crowd is made up from schoolkids still in the uniform who head up to OP for something to do on a Friday night and fall in love with the club? The people who finish work of a Friday and want to head into town and have a few pints before watching the match? Older people who can't drive, may have no one else and live for walking up to Oriel of a Friday night? I would 100% travel to Dunleer to watch Dundalk if it ever came to it but I don't think the club would ever be the same, Dundalk FC in name only...
Exactly right

Bogger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Bogger » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:19 pm

Fwats wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:15 pm Why would a village want thousands of vehicles arriving on a Friday night.
There would have to be adequate parking if a new build..local business would love it I’m sure!

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:02 pm

Fwats wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:15 pm Why would a village want thousands of vehicles arriving on a Friday night.
Business?

Fwats
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fwats » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:15 pm

magarnagle wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:02 pm
Business?
I’m sure the couple of pubs and the chippy would love it. Everyone else living there would be raging and rightfully so.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:24 pm

Fwats wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:18 pm
Exactly right
I'm sorry I replied to any of this. Firstly because it's actually the wrong thread and secondly because all the replies are as if I'm in favour of Dundalk FC moving out of the town despite repeatedly stating I'm not.

My opinion is based on what I think is the most realistic option for Dundalk to play in a category 4 stadium without having to travel outside the county.

Presuming our ambitions are to become European regulars particularly with the new conference competition we could be travelling to Dublin quite often, how many of our fans want to do that regularly?

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:26 pm

Both clubs have very poor grounds so a joint share shouldn't be ruled out. Droghdea had plans to sell their own ground and move to another location, but that fell through https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... w-23685049

They still want to have their own stadium, but would be in a better position to get Government funding if its joint. The sale of their own stadium would also go in a way to funding a stadium with Dundalk.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Fwats wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:15 pm
magarnagle wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:02 pm
Business?
I’m sure the couple of pubs and the chippy would love it. Everyone else living there would be raging and rightfully so.
You think that the stadium would be in the middle of the village? Also as said above a new build on a green field site would likely have ample parking

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:32 pm

How about relocating to North Wexford.........?
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6