Official Takeover Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Official Takeover Thread

Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:42 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:39 am It would be a nice new EMPTY stadium. Fans from either side wouldn't support it.
It may not be ideal but it is a glimmer of hope ..... I love the walk up to Oriel, a pint on the way ...... however if a new ground was built ... where there is a will there is a way as the man says. What are the GAA heads going to do ..... will they stop going to games because Louth GAA now have their ground in Dundalk?`?

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:47 am

Sure why don't we merge the 2 sides and become dunleer fc?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:09 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:47 am Sure why don't we merge the 2 sides and become dunleer fc?

Be careful of what wish for and stop giving Bill etc. ideas ..... :)

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:24 am

I think that the home ground has to be in Dundalk. There would be a quick loss of spectators if the club moved to Dunleer, and Dunleer doesn't have the population to make up for it.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:46 am

Pepsi wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:42 am
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:39 am It would be a nice new EMPTY stadium. Fans from either side wouldn't support it.
It may not be ideal but it is a glimmer of hope ..... I love the walk up to Oriel, a pint on the way ...... however if a new ground was built ... where there is a will there is a way as the man says. What are the GAA heads going to do ..... will they stop going to games because Louth GAA now have their ground in Dundalk?`?
Not sure if you studied geography or not in school but, Dundalk is still in Louth.....

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:53 am

I'd find it very challenging to continue supporting the club if they were moved to another town.

It's a shame that Drogheda didn't move to Meath when it was being explored a few years back as Louth CC would have no excuses.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:57 am

Sharing a stadium in Dunleer is the same vibes as moving all the Hong Kongers to Dromiskin
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:58 pm

If it is Oriel with no improvements and same standard as today or a 5-7k capacity new family friendly ground in mid Louth what would you take??? I am not on for going to Dunleer either and would love to see us play in Dundalk, I am just not sure we will have an option of it is public money that is going to build the stadium. For most Americans / Europeans for that matter the 20 odd KMs up the road is nothing.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ArFella » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:23 pm

To be perfectly honest I'd rather watch Dundalk playing home games on the astroturf in Muirhevnamor than in a 5k Stadium Dunleer and I live in Castlebellingham! As much as Peak6 want Dundalk FC to be a brand that people will watch wherever they play we aren't that, we are a community club that has had incredible success in recent times but the community is still very much heartbeat of the club, removing them from the town would be the death knell of the club. People don't make an effort to watch League of Ireland football, I mean jesus christ we've had arguably the greatest ever football team in LOI History over the last 8 years and we very rarely reached capacity in OP. A stadium in Dunleer would be a white elephant in the middle of nowhere with maybe 1000 people attending Dundalk games and Drogheda would cease to exist, a totally crazy idea!
Mon the Town!

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:40 pm

Everyone's preference would be a redevelopment of Oriel but unless the club do it on their own it's not going to happen. If Louth CC and/or the government get involved they are going to want a municipal stadium for both Dundalk and Drogs, they are not going to redevelop one clubs ground and not the other or pump money into two grounds in the smallest county in the country.

If Rovers fans had a choice their ground would not be in Tallaght but it is and they have embraced it, life goes on, people adjust and now they have one of the best grounds in the country.

I travel from Dublin to watch Dundalk play and would travel double the distance if I had to. I would have to wonder about anyone who would refuse to travel 20 odd minutes to watch their team play. Ask yourself the question, if you had to move an hour away from Dundalk for work, family or any other reason would you never travel to Oriel again?

Oriel holds a special place in all our hearts but it is holding us back.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:47 pm

magarnagle wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:40 pm Everyone's preference would be a redevelopment of Oriel but unless the club do it on their own it's not going to happen. If Louth CC and/or the government get involved they are going to want a municipal stadium for both Dundalk and Drogs, they are not going to redevelop one clubs ground and not the other or pump money into two grounds in the smallest county in the country.

If Rovers fans had a choice their ground would not be in Tallaght but it is and they have embraced it, life goes on, people adjust and now they have one of the best grounds in the country.

I travel from Dublin to watch Dundalk play and would travel double the distance if I had to. I would have to wonder about anyone who would refuse to travel 20 odd minutes to watch their team play. Ask yourself the question, if you had to move an hour away from Dundalk for work, family or any other reason would you never travel to Oriel again?

Oriel holds a special place in all our hearts but it is holding us back.
This is a great post.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:02 pm

It's not oriel pulling at heartstrings. Personally I have no issue with us moving from oriel. But we are dundalk, we should play in Dundalk, not dunleer. Its all well and good saying it's only 20 mins down the road. But what about all those who don't drive and walk to every game? Dunleer isn't exactly known for it's transport system. Bottom line is it probably will never happen. For all the fai County Council government investment in this, both clubs would probably still have to divy up half the expenditure between them. Do you see drogheda having that kinda wedge? Or peak 6 putting that sum of investment on the table?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:24 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:02 pm It's not oriel pulling at heartstrings. Personally I have no issue with us moving from oriel. But we are dundalk, we should play in Dundalk, not dunleer. Its all well and good saying it's only 20 mins down the road. But what about all those who don't drive and walk to every game? Dunleer isn't exactly known for it's transport system. Bottom line is it probably will never happen. For all the fai County Council government investment in this, both clubs would probably still have to divy up half the expenditure between them. Do you see drogheda having that kinda wedge? Or peak 6 putting that sum of investment on the table?
Nobody wants to see Dundalk FC play outside the town but we have to be realistic. Maybe it won't happen anytime soon but something will have to happen someday. If Dundalk are still playing in Oriel in 30 years time either some miracle redevelopment happened or we are a nothing club.

We all want to think our status and history should give us the right to have a new stadium in the town but it means nothing. Unless ourselves or Drogs go out of business the only logical way forward is a shared stadium. As for people who don't drive, that's not difficult to get around, buses from the town on match nights.

How much do Bohs and Shels have to put into Dalymount?

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ArFella » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:25 pm

It's not about Oriel, it's about having community access to a community club, what percentage of our crowd is made up from schoolkids still in the uniform who head up to OP for something to do on a Friday night and fall in love with the club? The people who finish work of a Friday and want to head into town and have a few pints before watching the match? Older people who can't drive, may have no one else and live for walking up to Oriel of a Friday night? I would 100% travel to Dunleer to watch Dundalk if it ever came to it but I don't think the club would ever be the same, Dundalk FC in name only...
Mon the Town!

Alrightourfella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alrightourfella » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:36 pm

The Casey family have brilliant to Dundalk Football club no question its a pity they would not consider selling it and we could develop oriel into a wonderful stadium, oriel park has massive potential.