2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Louth4sam » Tue May 25, 2021 11:20 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:54 am A bit surprised by the timing of Jims clearout comment - as obvious as it is:
Its difficult to make a case to keep anyone at the club next year, and nobody knows what the budget will be, but I'd be happy to see Cleary (not having a good season), Stanton, Murray, D Kelly and Hoban here (if they want to be)
Duffy - top LOI player but his head is elsewhere
Shields - legend but doesnt look like he wants to be part of this anymore.

Out - pretty much everyone else. Hard to comment on Sonni and Zahibo but looks like they are just going thru the motions. A complete break from the past is needed IMO. The Kenny era is over and there is no point in players and fans harping back to it.

Sign up the best young hungry Irish talent that is willing to play for us. Transfer strategies dont have to be complicated. Or global, or exotic.
Reduce the squad to 22 players & send the yank kids home.
No matter what happens, the second half of this season and next season will be a monumental rebuilding task. I firmly believe had a decent domestic manager been appointed post Perth, we wouldn't be where we are now. There are 5/6 lads that could have been signed on frees within the league that would have significantly improved the team. I have no problem with signing foreign based players and some of them have shown flashes of individual talent but maybe it was too many at one time especially with the management we had in place. We've seen domestic players take a season to get to grips with playing with Dundalk so I can only imagine the challenge faced by international players coming in especially during a pandemic.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Tue May 25, 2021 11:36 am

Louth4sam, I think you ahve hit the nail on the head. We signed too many players at one time and didnt have a management team who were experienced enough to deal with it. Normally players like Sonni, Zahibo, Jarkovskis and Stanton to a lesser extend should have been given a season to settle in. Most arrived off the back of long seasons or from injuries. A season to bed in would have potentially avoided the mess we are in. Who is responsible for it??? Peak6 and to a greater extend FG as he was the one making the demands and giving the OKs.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Tue May 25, 2021 6:19 pm

I think Magilton would have had a role in the Zahibo deal also. It was Filippo who wanted him initially,but Magilton likely gave the approval.
He was signed and made his Debut after Filippo left

Magilton says they wanted to brand the Club in Asia with the signing of Han.
Peter Cherrie was likely a Magilton signing as I doubt Filippo knew much about him

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Tue May 25, 2021 6:54 pm

Richie87 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:19 pm I think Magilton would have had a role in the Zahibo deal also. It was Filippo who wanted him initially,but Magilton likely gave the approval.
He was signed and made his Debut after Filippo left

Magilton says they wanted to brand the Club in Asia with the signing of Han.
Peter Cherrie was likely a Magilton signing as I doubt Filippo knew much about him
Branding the club in Asia is something the owners would have been targeting. Alone for the marketing and potential sponsorship income that comes along with it would be worth more than anything available in Ireland. A small investment, if it goes right, you make a killing. Perfect example of it were Son Heung Min .... no one knew the son of a former Bundesliga player ... today Spurs are milking his image rights. Kagawa signed for BVB as an unknown .... went onto Man Utd and made both millions, expanded their brand all over Asia. Oliver Kahn for some reason is a God in Korea .... still earning millions to this day with merchandise deals. The idea is great if it comes off .... just doesnt always happen at the first attempt. If Han ever hit heights expected, then it could well be a nice earner for the club, for a very small investment.

As for the other signings ..... if you were shown clips of Zahibo, seen his CV would you give him a go?? As for the other signings ..... the only one with a questionable pedigree on paper prior to arrival was Abibi ..... that is a signing that was fcuked up, hence Cherry being signed and forced on FG last minute. I dont include the young Yanks in my listing because I am sure there is more to that than we realise. I suspect it is a tax saving exercise by Peak6 ..... scholorship type thing, all could then be written off against tax. Again if one of them made the grade, performed in a European game, it would open up potential big sponsors. Peak6 pay their wages and Dundalk benifits if it comes off.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:04 pm

I'm not doubting the reasons for signing Han.
Nakata was the first Asian player to play in Seria A ,and it gave Italian football more following and exposure. Perugia a relatively small club got a great following in Japan,as did Roma and Parma
It's just that it wasn't all Filippo signings.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Tue May 25, 2021 7:21 pm

Richie87 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:04 pm I'm not doubting the reasons for signing Han.
Nakata was the first Asian player to play in Seria A ,and it gave Italian football more following and exposure. Perugia a relatively small club got a great following in Japan,as did Roma and Parma
It's just that it wasn't all Filippo signings.
That is going to be the case in any club with a DOF as we have with JM, it is the norm at 95% of European clubs. Klopp doesnt find all the players he signs ... he didnt find Kagawa, Lewandowski, Hümmels .... they were put to him by Sven Mislintat. He sat around a table, discussed all players with Mislintat (Chief Scout), Zorc (DOF) and Watzke (Chairman) .... at the end it was debated and they made a decision together. Same for him today at Liverpool, he has Edwards amongst other bringing him player recommendations.

The question is .... why does the DOF system work on mainland Europe and not in Ireland?? Are everyone else doing it wrong??

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:30 pm

You mentioned who was responsible for the mess Dundalk are in, but didn't mention Jim Magilton.
That's why I mentioned him.
He was brought in to recruit players. Some were signed before he took over, Jurkovskis, Sonni, Abibi, and Ole.
But he still had time from when he was appointed in December to bring in a higher calibre keeper then Cherrie.
They were gambling on Abibi being number 1 based on very Little.

I don't have issue with DOF myself, McPhail is with Rovers. But Magilton as DOF has to recruit well for the new managers coming in.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Tue May 25, 2021 7:40 pm

Abibi was FGs player. He wanted him, went to the owners, promised that he was the next Buffon. I would assume it wasnt until the lad landed that people in Oriel realised what they had signed. By that point who would have been available or another question may be was their budget available. As I have said very often lately ..... the management appointment and subsequent singings in July and off season will tell us more about the owners and JMs plans for the club.
Its all rumours, ifs and buts, as it stands, we have no facts. What have I read here ...... internal investigation at Oriel, JM has links to an agent in Sunderland, former owners of Sunderland want to buy us from Peak6 ...... local press with managers signed, sealed and delivered.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:00 pm

The owners have a kind of catch 22 situation.
Pay big wages for some manager with the hope of European football, or a low key appointment and walk off in the sunset at end of year

A lot was invested into the Squad over the winter and a Director on 4 year deal. To miss out on top 4, where the only money they can realistically make is in Europe would be disastrous.

I thought 6 weeks ago the Dundalk job would be attractive, but now it's a really tough job,8 pts off 4th. And teams like Derry improving also

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Tue May 25, 2021 9:50 pm

When Giavagnoli came in, I knew it would be a matter of time before he was exposed as a bluffer and leave. My fear was that he would recruit poorly in the off season and send us into a downward spiral that would continue after he left.

Well, that is what has happened.

We're back to square one again, back to where we were 9 years ago.

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hull White » Tue May 25, 2021 10:49 pm

Pepsi wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:40 pm Abibi was FGs player. He wanted him, went to the owners, promised that he was the next Buffon. I would assume it wasnt until the lad landed that people in Oriel realised what they had signed. By that point who would have been available or another question may be was their budget available. As I have said very often lately ..... the management appointment and subsequent singings in July and off season will tell us more about the owners and JMs plans for the club.
Its all rumours, ifs and buts, as it stands, we have no facts. What have I read here ...... internal investigation at Oriel, JM has links to an agent in Sunderland, former owners of Sunderland want to buy us from Peak6 ...... local press with managers signed, sealed and delivered.
What FG said was "I have found you te next Buffoon" and Buffalo Bill thought he said " Buffon". Easy mistake! Lol!

BigChief
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BigChief » Wed May 26, 2021 10:49 am

Larne the latest club to be linked with Shields, the same article also links Hoban to Linfield:
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/70 ... -transfer/

Big improvements are happening at Larne lately, Plenty of work getting done on the stadium also.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:54 pm

Larne are well backed,a multi millionaire called Kenny Bruce putting a lot of investment on and off the field.

holidaysong
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by holidaysong » Wed May 26, 2021 2:21 pm

If I was either player and a 3 year contract was on the table from an Irish League club then I'd be taking it. You couldn't blame them.

The alternative is wait around until November / December and maybe be offered a one year extension here. It's a no brainer.

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk10 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:45 pm

Richie87 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:54 pm Larne are well backed,a multi millionaire called Kenny Bruce putting a lot of investment on and off the field.
Heard he's defintely going to Linfield who are going to full time football.

Another deal done for FFP, who, some will tell you, have way too much influence on the club at the moment.