2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Richie87 » Wed May 26, 2021 3:46 pm

Which player , Shields or Hoban ? If they got both it would be good business.
They probably have to give David Healy an incentive to stay as manager,with good backing to go along with full time football.

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk10 » Wed May 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Richie87 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:46 pm Which player , Shields or Hoban ? If they got both it would be good business.
They probably have to give David Healy an incentive to stay as manager,with good backing to go along with full time football.
Sorry, Shields.
Didn't hear anything about Hoban, but the story about Shields wanting to play closer to home has been around for a while.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:17 pm

Dundalk10 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:45 pm
Richie87 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:54 pm Larne are well backed,a multi millionaire called Kenny Bruce putting a lot of investment on and off the field.
Heard he's defintely going to Linfield who are going to full time football.

Another deal done for FFP, who, some will tell you, have way too much influence on the club at the moment.
And you think they don't have way too much influence?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dundalk10 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:21 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:17 pm
Dundalk10 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:45 pm
Richie87 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:54 pm Larne are well backed,a multi millionaire called Kenny Bruce putting a lot of investment on and off the field.
Heard he's defintely going to Linfield who are going to full time football.

Another deal done for FFP, who, some will tell you, have way too much influence on the club at the moment.
And you think they don't have way too much influence?
No, not at all Niall, I don't see why they should have any.

I don't know what the full extent it is, but to say they have Bill's ear would be an understatment.

Alrightourfella
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Alrightourfella » Wed May 26, 2021 8:12 pm

Fats McEleney to Glentoran or Derry am hearing.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Wed May 26, 2021 8:55 pm

Hearing 4 players coming in . Nobody leaving , only unfounded rumours.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Wed May 26, 2021 9:01 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:55 pm Hearing 4 players coming in . Nobody leaving , only unfounded rumours.
Any word on who or where they are coming from???

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:38 pm

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:55 pm Hearing 4 players coming in . Nobody leaving , only unfounded rumours.
One Jim Magilton said Dundalk needed a clear out,so would be quite something if nobody went in July.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:29 am

Richie87 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:38 pm
One Jim Magilton said Dundalk needed a clear out,so would be quite something if nobody went in July.
For anyone to leave in July, we would have to pay them off the remainder of their salary. No club will pay a tf for them as they can leave for free in December. Equally if that rumour is true, who is recruiting them? Surely the new manager should be assessing the squad and bringing his own men in.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:17 am

It was mentioned in one of the articles, Linfield were hoping to get Chris Shields at the end of the season on a free,.But the fact there is competiton from other clubs Glentoran and Larne, means they might make a bid in July.

I agree the new manager would want to assess the squad but the slowness of the appointment , and the transfer window coming up, it will probably be Magilton deciding who goes.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Thu May 27, 2021 10:00 am

The suggestion that a second division uncapped Korean could somehow build the brand of an unknown European club form the 37th best league in Europe is laughable. In the enormously unlikely event that he turns out to be the next Heung-Minh Son (spolier alert.... he can't get in to an atrocious Dundalk side) he might just shift some shirts for West Brom or wherever he's moved on to if he turns good. Even if by some miracle we strom through four qualifying rounds, make UECL groups and go toe-to-toe with say Roma, Copenhagen and Rosenborg do you think anyone in Seoul will give a flying fudge? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Busan is awash with SC Freiburg jerseys since Jeong Woo-Yeong went there. Maybe the 506 expatriate South Korean footballers listed on Wiki are cash cows for their 506 foreign clubs.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu May 27, 2021 10:15 am

I have to say I don't like the way a lot of the threads are currently going. It really doesnt sit well with me slagging players off cos they are foreign and that we should only sign the best of the irish players. For anyone looking in on this that is how it is coming across and it doesn't look well.
Leave the foreign aspect out of it. And there are plenty of home grown players in that squad who aren't performing either. The squad as a whole aren't performing at the levels expected from this club. I think taking lads in fron further afield than the UK can be a good idea, i think the problem is that whoever is scouting or promoting these players to the club hasn't a clue. And also while the break up of the kenny squad needed to happen, it should have been done gradually like kenny used to fo, a cpl per season, not 5, 6, 10 like it has over the past 18 months. Equally for the wages we are paying, we would be better of recruiting from league 1 in the UK. If a player is without a club for 8 months even though they command high wages, then there is an issue with the player, be it attitude, ability or injury.

And this post is not aimed at anyone in particular, more a general thought, but i have seen it creeping in recently.
Last edited by niall_hearty2000 on Thu May 27, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Thu May 27, 2021 10:16 am

seand wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:00 am The suggestion that a second division uncapped Korean could somehow build the brand of an unknown European club form the 37th best league in Europe is laughable. In the enormously unlikely event that he turns out to be the next Heung-Minh Son (spolier alert.... he can't get in to an atrocious Dundalk side) he might just shift some shirts for West Brom or wherever he's moved on to if he turns good. Even if by some miracle we strom through four qualifying rounds, make UECL groups and go toe-to-toe with say Roma, Copenhagen and Rosenborg do you think anyone in Seoul will give a flying fudge? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Busan is awash with SC Freiburg jerseys since Jeong Woo-Yeong went there. Maybe the 506 expatriate South Korean footballers listed on Wiki are cash cows for their 506 foreign clubs.
To be fair he would be a cracking summer league player. Look its not the players fault they got an opportunity to come here to the unknown and try better their own careers. Fair play to them taking the risk.

The way I look at it for whatever reason its not working out, I think the quality is certainly there but there is something else going on within the club and everything around the restrictions from the pandemic is possibly playing a part. i.e. no fans, not too many places open for the players to get out and about (apart from Belfast)

If Kenny was to become the manager of these lads, would we be in the same position or would we be flying high in the league?

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Thu May 27, 2021 11:22 am

seand wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:00 am The suggestion that a second division uncapped Korean could somehow build the brand of an unknown European club form the 37th best league in Europe is laughable. In the enormously unlikely event that he turns out to be the next Heung-Minh Son (spolier alert.... he can't get in to an atrocious Dundalk side) he might just shift some shirts for West Brom or wherever he's moved on to if he turns good. Even if by some miracle we strom through four qualifying rounds, make UECL groups and go toe-to-toe with say Roma, Copenhagen and Rosenborg do you think anyone in Seoul will give a flying fudge? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Busan is awash with SC Freiburg jerseys since Jeong Woo-Yeong went there. Maybe the 506 expatriate South Korean footballers listed on Wiki are cash cows for their 506 foreign clubs.
You really need to open up more ...... small town thinking, instilled in Irish football by John Delany and his mates has to disappear if Irish clubs are to be a success at anything they try.
Kagawa signed for Borussia Dortmund from a similar level, reserve at a second division club in Japan. No one in Dortmund, not even Klopp expected him to be more than a sub or reserve team player in their U23 team under David Wagner. It was a purely marketing lead deal, taking a punt, free transfer and manageable wages. He arrived, played like muck in the first 3 games and then in preseason he struck up a friendship with Kevin Grotzkreuz, learned the language .... once he had a mate he was like a different man. His confidence grew ..... he got into Klopps first 11 and within weeks BVB were sending merchandise daily to Japan. Upon selling him to Utd. BVB estimated that he generated €175 million in merchandise sales in Asia alone... that for a man they signed on a €10k per week deal initially.
Likewise Lewandowski ...... Robert had a stinker in his first season at BVB, wouldnt have scored in a brothel if you paid the bill in advance. He then got the girlfriend (now his wife) over to live with him, he started to learn German, meet people and low and behold he is what he is today.
Aubameyang ... arrived in Dortmund and didnt perform as was expected. His brother Willy (player for AC Milan youths) was then signed by a club closeby on a semi pro deal, Auba has someone close to him and slowly his form improved. At the end of his time in Dortmund he had 2 houses on one site ... himself and the wife in one and the rest of his family in the other.

The point is ..... owners of clubs have reasons for taking a punt on a player, it is a bit like playing roullette. Some work out, some dont. If Han was to play well in Europe, get called up to the national team once or twice, you would be looking very foolish when you arrive at Oriel and see an influx of Asians students coming to see him, maybe 2-3 directly after the announcement, then 10-12 ... if he stays in the national team Rogers, Malone and co would be sending reports to the Souel Argus. The fan shop would be sending gear in no time ...... How do I know ..... because I experienced it first hand at Düsseldorf, Leverkusen and Dortmund.
As for Jeong Woo Yeong, I think you will find it was Bayern Munich and not Freiburg that took the punt on him. Munich called him back to their U23 team in January 2020 to exploit the market as he had made a name for himself in the qualification games of Korean oylmpic team. Once they made their money, he was off back to Freiburg who are also not doing too bad from his image rights.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Thu May 27, 2021 11:43 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:15 am I have to say I don't like the way a lot of the threads are currently going. It really doesnt sit well with me slagging players off cos they are foreign and that we should only sign the best of the irish players. For anyone looking in on this that is how it is coming across and it doesn't look well.
Leave the foreign aspect out of it. And there are plenty of home grown players in that squad who aren't performing either. The squad as a whole aren't performing at the levels expected from this club. I think taking lads in fron further afield than the UK can be a good idea, i think the problem is that whoever is scouting or promoting these players to the club hasn't a clue. And also while the break up of the kenny squad needed to happen, it should have been done gradually like kenny used to fo, a cpl per season, not 5, 6, 10 like it has over the past 18 months. Equally for the wages we are paying, we would be better of recruiting from league 1 in the UK. If a player is without a club for 8 months even though they command high wages, then there is an issue with the player, be it attitude, ability or injury.

And this post is not aimed at anyone in particular, more a general thought, but i have seen it creeping in recently.
I don't know Niall, the policy of signing foreign players is a thing that deserves discussion and I don't think this thread has been particularly xenophobic. The problem is not the foreignness of players- nobody had a problem with Kudzovic, Adorjan, Vemmelund or even Colovic, Jurkovskis, Chevdukas on the basis of their foreignness. People have an issue with the policy of bringing in poor quality imports at a high cost. And no question there's plenty of Irish underperforming.