New gear.

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Post Reply
User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7059
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: New gear.

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:21 pm

El Paso wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:12 pm There’s no point in referencing a Harp deal that ended nearly 20 years ago. Times change. Smoking is also still legal and tobacco advertising is banned and we can’t have Carroll’s on our shirt.

Bet Regal have agreed to sponsor us because they think their brand on our shirt will increase the amount of money people gamble. They wouldn’t do it otherwise.

I don’t think offshore gambling companies and ambitions to be a community club go together, but football is a business and there are no trophies for being sponsored by ‘nice’ companies.
Why do you think any company sponsors a club? To get their brand out there so of course bet regal wouldn't sponsor us just for the good of Dundalk fc. I don't get the furore about this. It is a very lucrative deal for dundalk fc. If it was Ryanair we went with people would say their seats are too close and O'Leary is a bollox. It is a great deal for the club from a legitimate business entity and that is all that matters.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7870
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath

Re: New gear.

Post by mike » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:51 pm

Agree with Niall, as said before maybe not my first choice, but its done now, plus they outbid Fyffes considerably I heard.

Get it over it folks, and move on, its not a bullet to the head 'you must bet on sport' its a brand ad, plus the holier than tho attitude by loads gets me, not just on here, can they honestly say they never took their phone out at or before a match a stuck a sneaky fiver on the first scorer, nipped in to a bookies for the cup final day out, or the grand national, or Cheltenham for modest bets?

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2995
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Dundalk

Re: New gear.

Post by colymull » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:23 pm

mike wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:51 pm Agree with Niall, as said before maybe not my first choice, but its done now, plus they outbid Fyffes considerably I heard.

Get it over it folks, and move on, its not a bullet to the head 'you must bet on sport' its a brand ad, plus the holier than tho attitude by loads gets me, not just on here, can they honestly say they never took their phone out at or before a match a stuck a sneaky fiver on the first scorer, nipped in to a bookies for the cup final day out, or the grand national, or Cheltenham for modest bets?
Or the Lotto, also gambling but a somewhat acceptable form of it over backing a horse. None of us wouldve picked a betting company as our sponsor, especially not an off shore one but I bet if we were sponsored by the National Lottery there wouldn't be a word said about it.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7453
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: New gear.

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:27 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:21 pm
El Paso wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:12 pm There’s no point in referencing a Harp deal that ended nearly 20 years ago. Times change. Smoking is also still legal and tobacco advertising is banned and we can’t have Carroll’s on our shirt.

Bet Regal have agreed to sponsor us because they think their brand on our shirt will increase the amount of money people gamble. They wouldn’t do it otherwise.

I don’t think offshore gambling companies and ambitions to be a community club go together, but football is a business and there are no trophies for being sponsored by ‘nice’ companies.
Why do you think any company sponsors a club? To get their brand out there so of course bet regal wouldn't sponsor us just for the good of Dundalk fc. I don't get the furore about this. It is a very lucrative deal for dundalk fc. If it was Ryanair we went with people would say their seats are too close and O'Leary is a bollox. It is a great deal for the club from a legitimate business entity and that is all that matters.
You don't have to agree, but I find it sad that you can't see the wider point.

The fact that it is not currently illegal or is "a great deal" to the club says a lot.

Does anyone know how much we are selling our soul for in this deal?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: New gear.

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:03 pm

Selling our soul.

Wow


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7059
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: New gear.

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:32 pm

Ezeikial wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:27 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:21 pm
El Paso wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:12 pm There’s no point in referencing a Harp deal that ended nearly 20 years ago. Times change. Smoking is also still legal and tobacco advertising is banned and we can’t have Carroll’s on our shirt.

Bet Regal have agreed to sponsor us because they think their brand on our shirt will increase the amount of money people gamble. They wouldn’t do it otherwise.

I don’t think offshore gambling companies and ambitions to be a community club go together, but football is a business and there are no trophies for being sponsored by ‘nice’ companies.
Why do you think any company sponsors a club? To get their brand out there so of course bet regal wouldn't sponsor us just for the good of Dundalk fc. I don't get the furore about this. It is a very lucrative deal for dundalk fc. If it was Ryanair we went with people would say their seats are too close and O'Leary is a bollox. It is a great deal for the club from a legitimate business entity and that is all that matters.
You don't have to agree, but I find it sad that you can't see the wider point.

The fact that it is not currently illegal or is "a great deal" to the club says a lot.

Does anyone know how much we are selling our soul for in this deal?
The fact it isn't currently illegal? It has never been an illegal profession, and it never will be. Funnily enough I've just gone past 1 boylesprts and 2 bar one betting offices, and I didn't get any subliminal messages nor did I feel compelled to run in and have a bet. Nor did I any day I have passed by any bookies. . Answer me this. When you were involved with the club, would you have immediately knocked back any approach from a betting firm to sponsor the club? Is it any wonder the begging buckets were out. We better get them prepared again if that is the approach. BTW you may tell the bookies some who were independent bookies that their match day or player sponsorships are no longer needed or appreciated. Do you do the lotto? If so you probably do it every week or the vast majority of weeks. That is a bigger addiction BTW than those people who have the odd bet. Oh and before you or anyone else comes on here, anyone who knows me of which there are many on this forum, know that I don't gamble except for the odd time I am at a race meeting which is once a year for the leopardstown festival. Or a bet on the English grand national. So I am not one of these gambling advocates, nor do I see it as the devil that you clearly do. But I do see the financial rewards it offers to Dundalk fc. At the vast majority of football grounds in England there is a betting shop in them.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:54 am
Location: Dundalk

Re: New gear.

Post by McNultys Discopants » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:20 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:03 pm Selling our soul.
Fact.

Agree 100% with Ezekiel on this one.
Liam Carroll is a piece of shit. A fcuking leech.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7059
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: New gear.

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:19 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:20 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:03 pm Selling our soul.
Fact.

Agree 100% with Ezekiel on this one.
Oh no you don't. You're just shit stirring 😂😂😂
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7453
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: New gear.

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:51 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:32 pm
Ezeikial wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:27 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:21 pm

Why do you think any company sponsors a club? To get their brand out there so of course bet regal wouldn't sponsor us just for the good of Dundalk fc. I don't get the furore about this. It is a very lucrative deal for dundalk fc. If it was Ryanair we went with people would say their seats are too close and O'Leary is a bollox. It is a great deal for the club from a legitimate business entity and that is all that matters.
You don't have to agree, but I find it sad that you can't see the wider point.

The fact that it is not currently illegal or is "a great deal" to the club says a lot.

Does anyone know how much we are selling our soul for in this deal?
The fact it isn't currently illegal? It has never been an illegal profession, and it never will be. Funnily enough I've just gone past 1 boylesprts and 2 bar one betting offices, and I didn't get any subliminal messages nor did I feel compelled to run in and have a bet. Nor did I any day I have passed by any bookies. . Answer me this. When you were involved with the club, would you have immediately knocked back any approach from a betting firm to sponsor the club? Is it any wonder the begging buckets were out. We better get them prepared again if that is the approach. BTW you may tell the bookies some who were independent bookies that their match day or player sponsorships are no longer needed or appreciated. Do you do the lotto? If so you probably do it every week or the vast majority of weeks. That is a bigger addiction BTW than those people who have the odd bet. Oh and before you or anyone else comes on here, anyone who knows me of which there are many on this forum, know that I don't gamble except for the odd time I am at a race meeting which is once a year for the leopardstown festival. Or a bet on the English grand national. So I am not one of these gambling advocates, nor do I see it as the devil that you clearly do. But I do see the financial rewards it offers to Dundalk fc. At the vast majority of football grounds in England there is a betting shop in them.
I did not suggest that betting would become illegal, but expect that advertising and promotion may become curtailed legally, particularly towards minors.

The amount involved seems an ongoing unknown. Is it 50k or150k that is involved? That would certainly be a factor in any decision making, especially an unpalatable one where the club were facing dissolution as you mentioned. That is hardly relevant in the current financial picture, and ethical issues should always be considered in a community club.

For what it is worth I made no comments on any individuals betting habits and have no intentions of labelling anyone. Nevertheless I am concerned about growth in underage betting and the potential for promotion in this betting deal
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7059
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: New gear.

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:08 pm

Ezeikial wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:51 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:32 pm
Ezeikial wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:27 pm

You don't have to agree, but I find it sad that you can't see the wider point.

The fact that it is not currently illegal or is "a great deal" to the club says a lot.

Does anyone know how much we are selling our soul for in this deal?
The fact it isn't currently illegal? It has never been an illegal profession, and it never will be. Funnily enough I've just gone past 1 boylesprts and 2 bar one betting offices, and I didn't get any subliminal messages nor did I feel compelled to run in and have a bet. Nor did I any day I have passed by any bookies. . Answer me this. When you were involved with the club, would you have immediately knocked back any approach from a betting firm to sponsor the club? Is it any wonder the begging buckets were out. We better get them prepared again if that is the approach. BTW you may tell the bookies some who were independent bookies that their match day or player sponsorships are no longer needed or appreciated. Do you do the lotto? If so you probably do it every week or the vast majority of weeks. That is a bigger addiction BTW than those people who have the odd bet. Oh and before you or anyone else comes on here, anyone who knows me of which there are many on this forum, know that I don't gamble except for the odd time I am at a race meeting which is once a year for the leopardstown festival. Or a bet on the English grand national. So I am not one of these gambling advocates, nor do I see it as the devil that you clearly do. But I do see the financial rewards it offers to Dundalk fc. At the vast majority of football grounds in England there is a betting shop in them.
I did not suggest that betting would become illegal, but expect that advertising and promotion may become curtailed legally, particularly towards minors.

The amount involved seems an ongoing unknown. Is it 50k or150k that is involved? That would certainly be a factor in any decision making, especially an unpalatable one where the club were facing dissolution as you mentioned. That is hardly relevant in the current financial picture, and ethical issues should always be considered in a community club.

For what it is worth I made no comments on any individuals betting habits and have no intentions of labelling anyone. Nevertheless I am concerned about growth in underage betting and the potential for promotion in this betting deal
There is no underage gambling. You can't be in a bookies as a minor and like drinking in a pub or buying cigarettes you have to be over 18.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7453
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: New gear.

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:02 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:08 pm
Ezeikial wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:51 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:32 pm

The fact it isn't currently illegal? It has never been an illegal profession, and it never will be. Funnily enough I've just gone past 1 boylesprts and 2 bar one betting offices, and I didn't get any subliminal messages nor did I feel compelled to run in and have a bet. Nor did I any day I have passed by any bookies. . Answer me this. When you were involved with the club, would you have immediately knocked back any approach from a betting firm to sponsor the club? Is it any wonder the begging buckets were out. We better get them prepared again if that is the approach. BTW you may tell the bookies some who were independent bookies that their match day or player sponsorships are no longer needed or appreciated. Do you do the lotto? If so you probably do it every week or the vast majority of weeks. That is a bigger addiction BTW than those people who have the odd bet. Oh and before you or anyone else comes on here, anyone who knows me of which there are many on this forum, know that I don't gamble except for the odd time I am at a race meeting which is once a year for the leopardstown festival. Or a bet on the English grand national. So I am not one of these gambling advocates, nor do I see it as the devil that you clearly do. But I do see the financial rewards it offers to Dundalk fc. At the vast majority of football grounds in England there is a betting shop in them.
I did not suggest that betting would become illegal, but expect that advertising and promotion may become curtailed legally, particularly towards minors.

The amount involved seems an ongoing unknown. Is it 50k or150k that is involved? That would certainly be a factor in any decision making, especially an unpalatable one where the club were facing dissolution as you mentioned. That is hardly relevant in the current financial picture, and ethical issues should always be considered in a community club.

For what it is worth I made no comments on any individuals betting habits and have no intentions of labelling anyone. Nevertheless I am concerned about growth in underage betting and the potential for promotion in this betting deal
There is no underage gambling. You can't be in a bookies as a minor and like drinking in a pub or buying cigarettes you have to be over 18.
I have heard it all now - underage gambling, drinking and cigarette smoking does not happen because of the law
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7059
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: New gear.

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:22 pm

So what law prohibits us from having bet regal as our main sponsor?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2154
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: New gear.

Post by oldfogey » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:45 pm

It is no surprise that, as ever, this has degenerated into a back and forth of posters trying to score points against each other, instead of making rational arguments for and against.

I'm not keen on a betting company as main sponsor but I'm not going to take sides here either, as I worked for the club at a time when we were happy to take advertising revenue from anyone prepared to write a cheque. Yes the amounts were substantially smaller, and the individual businesses were not as prominent but, as the punter said to the girl who feigned anger at a lower offer, "we've already established your profession, we're just haggling over price". If the Trust was left running the club tomorrow, how many on here would change their view on which sponsors are (un)acceptable?

Lets not kid ourselves, 2020 has shown that Peak 6 have deep enough pockets and (at least short term) commitment to do this without the fans. As things currently stand our only input for the coming season is Patreon, Club Shop, and WatchLoi, none of which will add up to much in terms of negating the running costs of the club. We are not in a position to demonstrate at games or boycott them, the two default options for supporters wishing to put pressure on an owner.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7059
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: New gear.

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:24 pm

El Paso wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:58 pm Out of curiosity, If Bet Regal sponsored digital hoardings and ran in-game betting ads on the sidelines for people/punters in the ground and watching on streams, how would anyone feel?
I don't see what the difference would be.. Why are people taking the moral high ground on this. We are all adults who make their own decisions in life and have to stand by these decisions. A minor is more likely to drink, smoke or gamble because they see their parents doing it, as opposed to wow I saw bet regal on a dundalk Jersey or because harp lager sponsored us back in the day. You may stop watching sky sports or any major sporting event on TV if you feel so strongly to alcohol or betting industries sponsoring sporting events, and take up watching that massive spectator sport that is the Angelus.
Last edited by niall_hearty2000 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7059
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: New gear.

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:25 pm

Also do u honestly think a 6 7 8 9 10 Yr old knows what bet regal is? They don't care. They just want to get a selfie or an autograph from their favourite player.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Post Reply