New gear.

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: New gear.

Post by Pepsi » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:29 pm

The club should stop selling beer in and around the ground on match nights, any time for that matter, kids would be encouraged to drink and become potential alcoholics (also parents should be prevented from smoking and drinking at home....kids copy their parents and all that), also end match night sponsorship with Cooley Distillary......
The club should stop selling boveril also.....encourages kids to eat red meat and damage their health. Red meat causes heart disease.
The club should stop all future co-operation with Fyffees.....bananas are full of sugar, can cause type 2 diabetes if over consumed.
The government should be permanently closing all pubs, clubs, off licences, banning the sale of alcohol and betting offices. Kids walking past them on the town...sure going by the logic of users here, they could all become addicts.

As for summer camps, banana suits......maybe Lilly the Panda will make a comeback and be a face for the (junior) academy. Lets see what the next couple of months bring for us, what work the new club management try to impliment and how they wish to run the club in the future.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:46 pm

El Paso wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:03 pm Also, Fyffes sponsored kids summer camps and pre-season meet and greets with players. Do those stop now? Or do the club run them at the club’s cost and hide all Bet Regal advertising? Or does the guy in a banana suit put on a big dollar coin suit?
I understand the Summer Camps were a separate deal which happened to be the main sponsor. They may decide to continue anyway as their product promotes healthly eating. I have a feeling there may have been other sponsor or none over the last 8 years but can't remember who it was. It all got very messy at one point as the FAI ran camps in Oriel as well, leaving the club to try and work the Barry Kehoe around Euro qualifiers. The meet and greet with the players was the thing that made it more popular, irrespective of whatever goodies were being handed out.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:15 pm

I wish the football would start............I really do..............................
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:23 pm

oldfogey wrote:It is no surprise that, as ever, this has degenerated into a back and forth of posters trying to score points against each other, instead of making rational arguments for and against.

I'm not keen on a betting company as main sponsor but I'm not going to take sides here either, as I worked for the club at a time when we were happy to take advertising revenue from anyone prepared to write a cheque. Yes the amounts were substantially smaller, and the individual businesses were not as prominent but, as the punter said to the girl who feigned anger at a lower offer, "we've already established your profession, we're just haggling over price". If the Trust was left running the club tomorrow, how many on here would change their view on which sponsors are (un)acceptable?

Lets not kid ourselves, 2020 has shown that Peak 6 have deep enough pockets and (at least short term) commitment to do this without the fans. As things currently stand our only input for the coming season is Patreon, Club Shop, and WatchLoi, none of which will add up to much in terms of negating the running costs of the club. We are not in a position to demonstrate at games or boycott them, the two default options for supporters wishing to put pressure on an owner.
“We’ve already established your profession, we’re just haggling over the price”. Ha!

Great line OF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSBellew
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by GSBellew » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:54 am

El Paso wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:58 pm Out of curiosity, If Bet Regal sponsored digital hoardings and ran in-game betting ads on the sidelines for people/punters in the ground and watching on streams, how would anyone feel?
At least it would be a tangible improvement to Oriel 😂

I'm not fond of sponsorship by gambling companies, there's a certain tackiness to it in my opinion, however it's a business decision, fluffy feel good stories don't pay the bills.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:44 pm

Random Q, how would folk feel if we were sponsored by the 'National Lottery' ? Would that look / appear more acceptable?

I was thinking earlier, something Niall mentioned before, say for example if a family / workplace arrangement was in place, consider you put in €5 a week, not a lot, but if no returns in a year, that's €260 a year, is that not the same as a betting loss?

Honestly think people need to tone down their view on this, its a business venture, no one is forcing anyone to gamble just because DFC have a new sponsor, and one that won't be available in kids size jerseys.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:04 pm

mike wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:44 pm Random Q, how would folk feel if we were sponsored by the 'National Lottery' ? Would that look / appear more acceptable?

I was thinking earlier, something Niall mentioned before, say for example if a family / workplace arrangement was in place, consider you put in €5 a week, not a lot, but if no returns in a year, that's €260 a year, is that not the same as a betting loss?

Honestly think people need to tone down their view on this, its a business venture, no one is forcing anyone to gamble just because DFC have a new sponsor, and one that won't be available in kids size jerseys.

Does "tone down" mean change your view to agree "more with me"?

i ask again, does anyone have a clue about the value of the deal?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Post by McNultys Discopants » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:11 pm

Ezeikial wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:04 pm
mike wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:44 pm Honestly think people need to tone down their view on this, its a business venture, no one is forcing anyone to gamble just because DFC have a new sponsor, and one that won't be available in kids size jerseys.

Yes Mike, nobody is forcing anyone to gamble. But the more it's out there, and emblazoned on our shirts, the more likely it is to tempt the weaker in society who may have a problem back to gambling. Many will not have a problem but many do. And the gambling companies lap them all up. Coincidentally the bookies will bar punters who consistently win.

As for no sponsor on kids shirts, the kids are still gonna see it and have a little bit of intrigue about it....

Luckily my young fella has it pretty much instilled into him from early days with exposure to all the betting ads on tv that betting is for losers and the only winners are the bookies.
Liam Carroll is a piece of shit. A fcuking leech.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:16 pm

mike wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:44 pm Random Q, how would folk feel if we were sponsored by the 'National Lottery' ? Would that look / appear more acceptable?

Have you ever sold a club lotto ticket?

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:17 pm

I only heard that they significantly outbid Fyffes, not sure of any figure though or indeed if there was an intention to work with Fyffes to stay on regardless.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:27 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:11 pm
mike wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:44 pm Honestly think people need to tone down their view on this, its a business venture, no one is forcing anyone to gamble just because DFC have a new sponsor, and one that won't be available in kids size jerseys.

Yes Mike, nobody is forcing anyone to gamble. But the more it's out there, and emblazoned on our shirts, the more likely it is to tempt the weaker in society who may have a problem back to gambling. Many will not have a problem but many do. And the gambling companies lap them all up. Coincidentally the bookies will bar punters who consistently win.

As for no sponsor on kids shirts, the kids are still gonna see it and have a little bit of intrigue about it....

Luckily my young fella has it pretty much instilled into him from early days with exposure to all the betting ads on tv that betting is for losers and the only winners are the bookies.
I understand the concern, and to be fair you have made your points well, good for you having that conversation with the young fella.

shep
Reserves
Reserves

Post by shep » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:32 am

Caught a bit of the Seville derby between Real Betis and Seville on Saturday. Betis sponsored by Betway and Seville sponsored by Marathon bet.

Now,I’m not saying my sponsor of choice would be a betting company,but if we really want things to improve both at our club and in the league of Ireland in general,then I don’t think we are in a position to turn down improved sponsorship deals for moral high ground reasons.

La Liga and Premier league teams are doing it,so should we be happy to take a small time moral high ground approach like for example Drogheda United have???

HaylockGizAGoal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by HaylockGizAGoal » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:31 pm

Peak11 wrote:There’s no point in referencing a Harp deal that ended nearly 20 years ago. Times change. Smoking is also still legal and tobacco advertising is banned and we can’t have Carroll’s on our shirt.

Bet Regal have agreed to sponsor us because they think their brand on our shirt will increase the amount of money people gamble. They wouldn’t do it otherwise. There is no world in which people losing money to an offshore tax avoiding gambling company is good for anyone except that company. Doesn’t even create jobs.

I don’t think offshore gambling companies and ambitions to be a community club go together, but football is a business and there are no trophies for being sponsored by ‘nice’ companies. On the other hand of all the types of companies we can legally put on our shirt, we’ve easily got the worst.
Can we say with all authority that Fyffes treated all of their employees and growers well? That they transported and packaged their goods with minimal impact to the environment? They they used farming methodologies that didn’t clear forests or dry out land.

We’re a league of Ireland team in a big-ish town, not Barcelona. Getting a sponsor is an achievement.

Gamble responsibly if you’re going to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tip on
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by tip on » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:49 pm

Peak11 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:30 am How come Total Produce and Dundalk Credit Union weren't on the new shirt by the way? Did we lose them as sponsors as well?
Total produce is Fyffes so that why they are gone from the shirt as well.

tip on
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by tip on » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:03 pm

Peak11 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:19 pm
tip on wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:49 pm
Peak11 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:30 am How come Total Produce and Dundalk Credit Union weren't on the new shirt by the way? Did we lose them as sponsors as well?
Total produce is Fyffes so that why they are gone from the shirt as well.
It's a spin off from Fyffes started by one of the McCanns but it's its own company.
Thanks, I wasnt aware of that.