2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Post Reply
User avatar
shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:40 am
Location: Dundalk

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by shedboy4life » Sun May 23, 2021 5:48 pm

I’ve to say this but it’s directed at no one individually. We as a club are approaching a crossroads.
We either comply with the direction we are going as a force in Irish football or we decide that the decisions made thus far have damaged our club, it’s direction and it’s reputation.

A line has been drawn in the sand. I personally feel that fans calling for change in the direction our club is going are the ones that we need to listen to. Others who are claiming the protest was “sad” need to have a look at themselves. It was a significant statement as to were the feelings of the majority of fans are right now.
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7148
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun May 23, 2021 6:03 pm

shedboy4life wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:48 pm I’ve to say this but it’s directed at no one individually. We as a club are approaching a crossroads.
We either comply with the direction we are going as a force in Irish football or we decide that the decisions made thus far have damaged our club, it’s direction and it’s reputation.

A line has been drawn in the sand. I personally feel that fans calling for change in the direction our club is going are the ones that we need to listen to. Others who are claiming the protest was “sad” need to have a look at themselves. It was a significant statement as to were the feelings of the majority of fans are right now.
Then ask yourself this, why were there only 100 to 150 at the protest if the majority are in favour? There is absolutely no plan in place apart from get Bill out.. That's it.. Nothing else. Apart from talks about a new supporters club crest!! . Most fans won't take it seriously until a plan has been formulated and put in the public domain.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
Scubs
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:34 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Scubs » Sun May 23, 2021 6:10 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:03 pm
Then ask yourself this, why were there only 100 to 150 at the protest if the majority are in favour? There is absolutely no plan in place apart from get Bill out.. That's it.. Nothing else. Apart from talks about a new supporters club crest!! . Most fans won't take it seriously until a plan has been formulated and put in the public domain.
As said before Niall the protest had nothing to do with the supporters club yet you are tying the two together with a condescending tone towards the supporters club before its even got off the ground.
Lillywhite on the brain

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Pepsi » Sun May 23, 2021 6:42 pm

Scubs wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:10 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:03 pm
Then ask yourself this, why were there only 100 to 150 at the protest if the majority are in favour? There is absolutely no plan in place apart from get Bill out.. That's it.. Nothing else. Apart from talks about a new supporters club crest!! . Most fans won't take it seriously until a plan has been formulated and put in the public domain.
As said before Niall the protest had nothing to do with the supporters club yet you are tying the two together with a condescending tone towards the supporters club before its even got off the ground.
I feel that is the critical point here. Many people falsely see the protests and the fan clubs as being one and the same. You have the lads protesting, who want Bill out and you have others who would like a fan rep on the board.

You have 150 (young) lads protesting who claim to want Bill the owners father sacked, have they ever considered who he will be replaced by?? Sure Peak6 could appoint anyone, that person could be 10 times worse than Bill, could know nothing about football and only run the club with a budget and calculator. Do they expect to have a say in the appointment of the next chairman or what is their plan?? The same lads have banners claiming to want their club back ..... that reads they want Peak6 out. That is where the questions are coming from .... how do they want to run the club if Peak6 take their message as it reads and say ... hear lads, have the keys.

User avatar
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4095
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:33 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Louth4sam » Mon May 24, 2021 11:49 am

Pepsi wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:37 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:55 pm
dundalkfc1903 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:49 pm Which supporters club. Brendan ogles, Ciarán callans, or the one with the guy who cost the club 18,000 in fines as their spokesperson.
Exactly. As I said on here last week, I’d have no problem supporting a proper Supporters club.
However a quick scan of what some of the young fellas who were on the Carrick Rd have been tweeting tells me all I need to know about them. It’s all Fcuk Bill, Fcuk Peak6, Get them out of my club stuff. No plans for what’ll happen to the club if they get their wish. I saw a couple of Fcuk OrielWebs as well which is a laugh!
Clear as day and sticking out a mile that there are two options here:

1. Patreon
Fans engage with the club and get assurances that if a certain membership figure (current 217 members is a disgrace and two fingers to the club) is reached a board which has been voted has access to the owners at regular fixed periods over a season. During these meetings, the fan reps would have the chance to put their ideas, arguements etc. forward.
On another note .... for all those fans shouting about wanting Bundesliga style people on boards ..... fan reps are members of the board of the football club. In over 90% of the clubs, there is a seperate GmbH or GmbH Co. KG (German Ltd.) who own and run the professional team. Membership schemes at Bundesliga clubs are nothing more than our Patreon, only difference being fans get early access to home tickets. BVB offer approx. 6-8k tickets for public sale, 160k members have a chance to buy them, do the maths. As a member you are also invited to an AGM (approx. 5% of the 160k fans are allowed to attend), where very shady accounts are presented and honoury club ambassadors are voted onto charity boards etc.

2. Individual Fan Clubs
Individual groups form their own fan clubs, these pay the club affilate fees and as a result are given the status of official fan clubs. Each affiliated fan club can put forward a member to be elected onto a Dundalk FC Fans Forum (or whatever other name you want to give it). This forum, comes together and organises charity events, banners, choreos within Oriel, away day bus, maybe even do up toilets, paint a wall, financed by fan club subs ...... they organise an end of season awards evening and other fundraisers. The club in return, get a veto right on certain items to ensure the brand is not damaged, they agree to make players available for events within the fan clubs / community, they promise to meet the Fans Forum X times per year to engage about fan concerns or ideas.

The only way anything like this will happen, is if both sides sit down and agree a framework, a road map and fans accept that the owners have their reasons for doing some of the things they do.
This is not something which can be started on the back of a beer mat by 10 lads who think they know better, it has to be done right with both sides as equals.
If there are serious people out their who want to know more about the German fan club model, I am more than willing to share my knowledge on the matter.
Pepsi, hopefully you come along to the next supporters club meeting as your knowledge of the German fan club model could be very valuable. We rarely agree with each other on here but for this supporters club to be a success it's vital that all voices are heard especially when contentious issues are being discussed.

For what it's worth (and this isn't aimed at you), a number of people spoke at at the supporters club meeting and everyone that wanted to speak was given an opportunity to do so. There was pretty much universal consensus that setting up of a supporters club was critical and the supporters club would need to work with the club in the future rather than against them.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Pepsi » Mon May 24, 2021 2:37 pm

Louth4sam, finally we agree on something and the following is not personal!!!!

But on a serious note, having spent 2-3 minutes looking at the webpage below, who is behind text content on the website?? Who is proofreading it???
https://dfcsupportersclub.com/
The 1903 Dundalk FC Supporters Club exists for those who with to grow the game of Football within Dundalk, The League of Ireland and across the World.
It will be an Organization that allows the members to gather and implement ideas to enhance the supporter experience at Dundalk Football Club.
Surely, with should be want and its ... ;)

Furthermore, have the club yet officially announced this .... or are the new fan club jumping in first??
New Supporter Liaison Officers Announced.
Date: 24th May 2021.

Dundalk Football Club are due to announced that Jane Mc Dermott and Stephen Todd will be joining the club as Supporter Liaison Officers.

Congratulations to both on their appointments and the supporters wish them every success in their new roles.
Again surely it should be announce, if you are going to announce something prior to the club, make sure you do it professionally.

I am not having a go at anyone here, however if you are going to set up a fan club, it must be a professional and serious setup. The website should be proofread, should be double checked, and should not be announcing news prior to the club. It should be striving to work together with the club instead of against it.
Would have been a much better idea to contact the club, tell them you know the following is about to be announced and that you would like to do a joint announcement ..... fan liaison officers and an independent fan club.

User avatar
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3595
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:32 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by GC. » Mon May 24, 2021 2:44 pm

I am not a grammar expert but picked up some experience from reading documents that a company I worked for wished to print. The punctuation, and other grammatical errors make me shudder. Don’t worry, I’m the same with all websites and documents, and I’m very forgiving when it comes to forums etc., because everyone is furiously typing on phones. I’d suggest using Grammarly for anything that is to be published or shared. It’s not perfect, especially when quoting other people, but it makes text very readable. It’s free for smaller blocks of text.

Btw, this is not an attack, just an observation.

User avatar
Scubs
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:34 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Scubs » Mon May 24, 2021 3:03 pm

Pepsi wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:37 pm Louth4sam, finally we agree on something and the following is not personal!!!!

But on a serious note, having spent 2-3 minutes looking at the webpage below, who is behind text content on the website?? Who is proofreading it???
https://dfcsupportersclub.com/
The 1903 Dundalk FC Supporters Club exists for those who with to grow the game of Football within Dundalk, The League of Ireland and across the World.
It will be an Organization that allows the members to gather and implement ideas to enhance the supporter experience at Dundalk Football Club.
Surely, with should be want and its ... ;)

Furthermore, have the club yet officially announced this .... or are the new fan club jumping in first??
New Supporter Liaison Officers Announced.
Date: 24th May 2021.

Dundalk Football Club are due to announced that Jane Mc Dermott and Stephen Todd will be joining the club as Supporter Liaison Officers.

Congratulations to both on their appointments and the supporters wish them every success in their new roles.
Again surely it should be announce, if you are going to announce something prior to the club, make sure you do it professionally.

I am not having a go at anyone here, however if you are going to set up a fan club, it must be a professional and serious setup. The website should be proofread, should be double checked, and should not be announcing news prior to the club. It should be striving to work together with the club instead of against it.
Would have been a much better idea to contact the club, tell them you know the following is about to be announced and that you would like to do a joint announcement ..... fan liaison officers and an independent fan club.
I agree with Louth4sam regarding you joining the next meeting, a proper run supporters club needs fans with all sorts of experience and knowledge to have it properly & professionally run.

And I agree with you regarding how a proper supporters club should be run but to give a small bit of context behind grammatical errors re the website and minor details, this supporters club is a fan run club by fans on a purely voluntarily basis and has no sort of finances at all to pay for such website building. This one done by one of the fans in a short space of time and he acknowledged the errors and will be sorted in due course. Personally I think it’s fantastic that it was made in less than a week and other bits that have been down by other fans is brilliant so far. The work so far has only been done by a fraction of the fans, it would be fantastic if more fans would get involved and try make this supporters club professional as possible.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in joining and/or coming onto the next meeting.

https://bit.ly/dfcsupporters

Just on the SLO’s, their appointment has been in the pipeline for the last few weeks by the club and was just announced a few days ago, their appointments are separate from the supporters club but the SLO’s a very much part of the supporters club and are actively going to be working with the club on behalf of fans and the supporters club.
Last edited by Scubs on Mon May 24, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lillywhite on the brain

User avatar
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3595
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:32 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by GC. » Mon May 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Unfortunately there is no way to thank a post here.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Pepsi » Mon May 24, 2021 3:33 pm

Scubs wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:03 pm I agree with Louth4sam regarding you joining the next meeting, a proper run supporters club needs fans with all sorts of experience and knowledge to have it properly & professionally run.

And I agree with you regarding how a proper supporters club should be run but to give a small bit of context behind grammatical errors re the website and minor details, 1. this supporters club is a fan run club by fans on a purely voluntarily basis and has no sort of finances at all to pay for such website building. This one 1. done by one of the fans in a short space of time and he acknowledged the errors and 2. will be sorted in due course. Personally I think it’s fantastic that it was made in less than a week and other bits that have been down by other fans is brilliant so fan. The work so far has only been done by a fraction of the fans, it would be fantastic if more fans would get involved and try make this supporters club professional as possible.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in joining and/or coming onto the next meeting.

https://bit.ly/dfcsupporters

Just on the SLO’s, they have been 3. appointed in the pipeline for the last few weeks by the club and was just announced by the club a few days ago, their appointments are separate from the supporters club but the SLO’s a very much part of the supporters club and are actively going to be working with the club on behalf of fans and the supporters club.
1. It is great that fans are coming together and the person who put the website up should be commended for his / her hard work. Here is a first case that people could learn from .... no finances in place. Why not ask members to pay €10 membership per year, that means the finances are there for the website and other minor things which are needed, also means members will think twice about signing up, could filter trouble makers like myself. As for grammar mistakes ..... no excuses today. Spell check on Word would have sorted or highlighted the problems very easily.

2. Sorted in due course is all well and good if you are involved in the project. I assume you are, so maybe you should start thinking about how it looks to people who are not involved. Would you take the page serious if you were trying to decide to join or not?? How would it look if it was a Rovers fan reading it??? Again it is not a dig at anyone, it is the basics.

3. I will take your word for it that it has been announced, but as I said it is a chance missed to publically ger the club onboard, promote both their appointment and the setting up of a Supporters Club. Has it not been announced by the club already again it gives Peak6 reason to say.... No you guys are not serious, sure they didnt speak to us.

User avatar
Scubs
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:34 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Scubs » Mon May 24, 2021 3:52 pm

Pepsi wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:33 pm
Scubs wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:03 pm I agree with Louth4sam regarding you joining the next meeting, a proper run supporters club needs fans with all sorts of experience and knowledge to have it properly & professionally run.

And I agree with you regarding how a proper supporters club should be run but to give a small bit of context behind grammatical errors re the website and minor details, 1. this supporters club is a fan run club by fans on a purely voluntarily basis and has no sort of finances at all to pay for such website building. This one 1. done by one of the fans in a short space of time and he acknowledged the errors and 2. will be sorted in due course. Personally I think it’s fantastic that it was made in less than a week and other bits that have been down by other fans is brilliant so fan. The work so far has only been done by a fraction of the fans, it would be fantastic if more fans would get involved and try make this supporters club professional as possible.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in joining and/or coming onto the next meeting.

https://bit.ly/dfcsupporters

Just on the SLO’s, they have been 3. appointed in the pipeline for the last few weeks by the club and was just announced by the club a few days ago, their appointments are separate from the supporters club but the SLO’s a very much part of the supporters club and are actively going to be working with the club on behalf of fans and the supporters club.
1. It is great that fans are coming together and the person who put the website up should be commended for his / her hard work. Here is a first case that people could learn from .... no finances in place. Why not ask members to pay €10 membership per year, that means the finances are there for the website and other minor things which are needed, also means members will think twice about signing up, could filter trouble makers like myself. As for grammar mistakes ..... no excuses today. Spell check on Word would have sorted or highlighted the problems very easily.

2. Sorted in due course is all well and good if you are involved in the project. I assume you are, so maybe you should start thinking about how it looks to people who are not involved. Would you take the page serious if you were trying to decide to join or not?? How would it look if it was a Rovers fan reading it??? Again it is not a dig at anyone, it is the basics.

3. I will take your word for it that it has been announced, but as I said it is a chance missed to publically ger the club onboard, promote both their appointment and the setting up of a Supporters Club. Has it not been announced by the club already again it gives Peak6 reason to say.... No you guys are not serious, sure they didnt speak to us.
To be honest with you there is no arguing with any points you made there, fully agree on them all.

These are points that need to be made at the meetings, this supporters club is very much in it’s infancy and these are all the constructive points that a need to be highlighted to ensure it is run properly.

Regarding membership, several plans and ideas are in the process of been constructed and will be put to fans at the next meeting for opinions.

I am not going to be involved with it as I said in the initial meeting that I have another project that I am heavily involved with, I’m involved with Head In The Game and a few of us that are involved with it have said we are willing to help give a hand getting the supporters club off the ground and try ensure it is run properly. Iv been involved with several committees regarding Dundalk and want to lend my experience as best I can, I want to promote this as best I can as I feel as fans we have been lacking a serious supporters club for a long time now.

And I owe you an apology the club have not officially announced the SLO’s yet, sorry about that my mistake. Although SLO’s are actively working away and will be announced by the club soon, so I think your idea is a very much a no brainier.
Lillywhite on the brain

User avatar
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4095
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:33 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Louth4sam » Mon May 24, 2021 4:43 pm

Pepsi wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:33 pm
Scubs wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:03 pm I agree with Louth4sam regarding you joining the next meeting, a proper run supporters club needs fans with all sorts of experience and knowledge to have it properly & professionally run.

And I agree with you regarding how a proper supporters club should be run but to give a small bit of context behind grammatical errors re the website and minor details, 1. this supporters club is a fan run club by fans on a purely voluntarily basis and has no sort of finances at all to pay for such website building. This one 1. done by one of the fans in a short space of time and he acknowledged the errors and 2. will be sorted in due course. Personally I think it’s fantastic that it was made in less than a week and other bits that have been down by other fans is brilliant so fan. The work so far has only been done by a fraction of the fans, it would be fantastic if more fans would get involved and try make this supporters club professional as possible.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in joining and/or coming onto the next meeting.

https://bit.ly/dfcsupporters

Just on the SLO’s, they have been 3. appointed in the pipeline for the last few weeks by the club and was just announced by the club a few days ago, their appointments are separate from the supporters club but the SLO’s a very much part of the supporters club and are actively going to be working with the club on behalf of fans and the supporters club.
1. It is great that fans are coming together and the person who put the website up should be commended for his / her hard work. Here is a first case that people could learn from .... no finances in place. Why not ask members to pay €10 membership per year, that means the finances are there for the website and other minor things which are needed, also means members will think twice about signing up, could filter trouble makers like myself. As for grammar mistakes ..... no excuses today. Spell check on Word would have sorted or highlighted the problems very easily.

2. Sorted in due course is all well and good if you are involved in the project. I assume you are, so maybe you should start thinking about how it looks to people who are not involved. Would you take the page serious if you were trying to decide to join or not?? How would it look if it was a Rovers fan reading it??? Again it is not a dig at anyone, it is the basics.

3. I will take your word for it that it has been announced, but as I said it is a chance missed to publically ger the club onboard, promote both their appointment and the setting up of a Supporters Club. Has it not been announced by the club already again it gives Peak6 reason to say.... No you guys are not serious, sure they didnt speak to us.
The website was thrown together in a short amount of time by one fan just to show a flavour of what a website would look like. I don't think he meant to be a live version of the website and it's not like he can go through a load of wireframes with potential members of the club. If some spelling & grammar mistakes are our biggest obstacle I think we'll be doing well.

There has been only one kickoff meeting so far and it was mostly fans giving their views on what the supporters club should be, that's it. Nothing was agreed, no management committee or steering groups have been set up or elected. I'd expect a bit more movement at the next meeting.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Pepsi » Mon May 24, 2021 5:02 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:43 pm The website was thrown together in a short amount of time by one fan just to show a flavour of what a website would look like. I don't think he meant to be a live version of the website and it's not like he can go through a load of wireframes with potential members of the club. If some spelling & grammar mistakes are our biggest obstacle I think we'll be doing well.

There has been only one kickoff meeting so far and it was mostly fans giving their views on what the supporters club should be, that's it. Nothing was agreed, no management committee or steering groups have been set up or elected. I'd expect a bit more movement at the next meeting.
Playing devils advocate here ….. why put something which is Beta live, walking before you crawl?? What is the rush?? Why not wait for the second or third meeting and then go live, when things are a little better organized??
I am sure whoever set up the webpage did it with best intensions at heart, and this is not dig at the people involved, however, if you want to be taken seriously it should be done properly from the start. I was not in the first meeting, seen the website and after 2-3 minutes reading, I picked out the mistakes. The web page is the first impression you are getting as a potential member, it is then fan clubs visitors card, its communication channel ….. first impressions and all that.

User avatar
Towelie
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Dundalk

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Towelie » Mon May 24, 2021 9:39 pm

Really hope Sligo win it this year. Knocked shams off the top of the table and just goes to show what can happen when a club is run well by people who genuinely care about it.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Richie87 » Mon May 24, 2021 11:36 pm

Sligo had a solid base of a team, but added a bit more to the team with Romeo Parkes returning, Jordan Gibson joining from Pats and Walter Figueiro from Derry. Greg Bolger into the midfield.

All players who played in the League previously. Add in the emergence of a few young players like Johnny Kenny and Mark Byrne and they had a good squad developing.and a good manager in Buckley

Post Reply