2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:03 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:18 am Is Sonni playing on international
Duty and if so WHY? He’s been injured all season
Baffling. He seems to be in the squad all right. Weren't the club furious about how he returned injured from international duty last time?
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:58 am

He could be one the players Magilton wants out as part of the clearout. He'd be on good wages but always injured, yet can go on international duty.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:35 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:03 am
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:18 am Is Sonni playing on international
Baffling. He seems to be in the squad all right. Weren't the club furious about how he returned injured from international duty last time?
Although he was named in the original squad - and is obviously there - he appears in very few of the photos on their FB page and certainly doesn't seem to be playing an active role. He may well be doing a "Seamus Coleman" and showing his face/keeping in touch. Any national side is also entitled to have their own medical team assess a player who the club claim are injured. Although he was injured during the last international window, nothing was done about it by the Faroes FA and it only became apparent when he returned. If we have been paying his wages (I would have thought international duty insurance would have covered that), why compound matters by paying up the rest of his contract and off loading him when we NO fit centre halves. Boyler can't train at present and spending July on planes and hanging round airports while plying twice a week could lead to long term issues. Even if Nattestad regains his fitness, we still need another centrehalf, preferably 2.

We don't actually know what is going on so I would be inclined to give the player and the club the benefit of the doubt.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:48 pm

oldfogey wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:35 pm
Although he was named in the original squad - and is obviously there - he appears in very few of the photos on their FB page and certainly doesn't seem to be playing an active role. He may well be doing a "Seamus Coleman" and showing his face/keeping in touch. Any national side is also entitled to have their own medical team assess a player who the club claim are injured. Although he was injured during the last international window, nothing was done about it by the Faroes FA and it only became apparent when he returned. If we have been paying his wages (I would have thought international duty insurance would have covered that), why compound matters by paying up the rest of his contract and off loading him when we NO fit centre halves. Boyler can't train at present and spending July on planes and hanging round airports while plying twice a week could lead to long term issues. Even if Nattestad regains his fitness, we still need another centrehalf, preferably 2.

We don't actually know what is going on so I would be inclined to give the player and the club the benefit of the doubt.
Agree he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I heard a few weeks back that the club and some teammates were not happy with him and his commitment. Didn't say anything because I wanted to see if he would play since then particularly with Cleary out. But he hasn't played and Shields has had to go to CB, now he is away with the Faroes so I'm starting to believe what I was told. Don't think we will see much of him in a Dundalk shirt.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:37 pm

Magilton mentioned Andew Quinn could be recalled from Bray in July. They'll likely be bringing in a another centre half in July also.

Better off with players hungry to play then some going through the motions.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:12 pm

magarnagle wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:48 pm

I heard a few weeks back that the club and some teammates were not happy with him and his commitment. Didn't say anything because I wanted to see if he would play since then particularly with Cleary out. But he hasn't played and Shields has had to go to CB, now he is away with the Faroes so I'm starting to believe what I was told. Don't think we will see much of him in a Dundalk shirt.
Definitely not in the match day squad for tonights match.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:54 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:12 pm
magarnagle wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:48 pm

Definitely not in the match day squad for tonights match.
Yeah seen that. Not sure why he travelled. Still think what I heard is correct, time will tell.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:04 am

Could be a case of they must go to be assessed by the international sides medical staff
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Bob Prole
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Bob Prole » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:19 pm

The Star is saying that the budget is set to be slashed after growing to 4 million euro following a root and branch review. This unfortunately is good news and better than doing any more damage lining the pockets of journeymen and their agents and saddling the club with the debt.

Bob Prole
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Bob Prole » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:37 pm

Club should have remained top two at least on cash in the bank and European income alone without the budget being let spiral out of control. If it was being run properly.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:19 pm

It says Magilton not keen on Vinny Perth returning ,but the chairman wants him back and to be confirmed.
That they will be offloading a lot of big earners between July and end of season

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:21 pm

Bob Prole wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:19 pm The Star is saying that the budget is set to be slashed after growing to 4 million euro following a root and branch review. This unfortunately is good news and better than doing any more damage lining the pockets of journeymen and their agents and saddling the club with the debt.
Totally agree, what have we got from the vastly overpaid wages (LOI terms), we are currently in 7th place ! Its actually quite incredible when you think we have by far the biggest budget and lying that low, so all of the mid term reports you would have read in papers etc, a F, 3/10 etc, they are spot on.

Looking into this further its actually more alarming, as the standard has dropped so much this year, there is very little cutting edge at the top, nothing compared to ourselves and Cork say 2014-18, and still the highest we got was 5th, for one week I think. Even with the obvious behind the scenes, change of managers, injuries, we should be easily sitting in 3rd spot with the talent we have. Some of the players might be thinking they can't be bothered given current set up, they are still very well paid and need to be doing better. Plus regardless of 2 wins in the last 3, a lot of them need to move on.

Give me a team of hungry, younger, and lower paid players complimented with senior pros any day v a squad of over 20 all on far too much money.

Simple fact is, we have not got value for money, not even close to it.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:49 pm

Cutting budgets etc. could be a sign of Peak6 getting ready to hand it over to new owners, hope the protestors are ready to take it on.

Matt putting his money in Monaco´s ladies team instead!!!

Bob Prole
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Bob Prole » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:48 pm

It’s very strange to see a ‘Dundalk fan’ who cares more about cheerleading the owners than the future of the club.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:23 pm

Pepsi wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:49 pm Cutting budgets etc. could be a sign of Peak6 getting ready to hand it over to new owners, hope the protestors are ready to take it on.

Matt putting his money in Monaco´s ladies team instead!!!
Or it could be a clear sign of Matt realising his father is an idiot that just burned through millions with nothing to show for it
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020