2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Louth4sam » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:39 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:13 pm
Bob Prole wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:41 pm Niall, in Bill’s interview on the Press Box he said how great the agents he’s met are and how much they love their players. He was asked about the American players and started waffling about Jamie Vardy. We know Bill did the negotiations for the contract renewals because the players said he was doing it via Zoom. Hard to understand how it hasn’t dawned on people yet what’s been happening.
So is it bill's peak 6 fault the players are not up to it? Those touting the players are to blame.
Ah come on Niall. So Bill swaps the prize cow for a few magic beans and it's the shady guy in the markets fault?

Bill is incredibly naive and he was taken for an absolute ride by agents. If you are pointing fingers, point one at the idiot that put a 77 year old with no experience of football in charge of a football club.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:39 pm

100 fans allowed into grounds from today.
Any word on the club letting 100 fans into Oriel?

BigChief
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BigChief » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:25 pm

I see on the back of this weeks Argus James Rogers says 'Peak6 are looking to scale back on costs ahead of a potential sale that could have ramifications for the clubs budget and ambitions beyond this season.' So should we assume the 'FOR SALE' signs are up at Oriel. It would be interesting to know how much they plan to cut.

Also the Argus mentions we are trying to do a deal with Derry that will see Patching stay with them & in return we will get their Goalkeeper.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:42 pm

Presume that would be their no 1 keeper Nathan Gartside? He's a good keeper,been In a few Northern Ireland Squads

James Rogers saying Vinny Perth still looking to get the mangers job,

Quayman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Quayman » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:28 pm

Very strange to say the least, gét rid of all the free staff and volunteers on next to nothing, offer stupid full time roles behind the scenes and in the space of 6 months cut and scrap the lot. With a euro campaign still to come, seems those at the top dont believe anybody has the attributes to get anything right in Europe this year.
Neale Fenn....SCUM

Towelie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Towelie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:24 pm

We lost to Lyttles NI u-19 team in a friendly match in Oriel. No clue of who played.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Towelie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:24 pm We lost to Lyttles NI u-19 team in a friendly match in Oriel. No clue of who played.
Was it the reserve squad for dundalk? Shambles.
Last edited by Carrick_Road on Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 pm

'McCullough whipped in a dangerous free-kick which the Dundalk keeper could only parry, although Northern Ireland were unable to convert the rebound.'

Sounds like abibi was in nets anyways

https://www.irishfa.com/news/2021/june/ ... -on-a-high

Towelie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Towelie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:48 pm

Carrick_Road wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm
Towelie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:24 pm We lost to Lyttles NI u-19 team in a friendly match in Oriel. No clue of who played.
Was it the reserve squad for dundalk? Shambles.
Down as "Dundalk Select" so I'd imagine it was the fringe players Chino/Dogan etc. Definitely sounds like Abibi was in nets.

Budget cuts can't come quick enough because we need a serious clear out.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:39 pm 100 fans allowed into grounds from today.
Any word on the club letting 100 fans into Oriel?
Eh so yea the club are randomly drawing out 100 ST holders for the Waterford game.

So anybody any knowledge of how many ST holders we have? 1000+ maybe ?
When I picked mine up in the office earlier this year there seemed to be wads of them wrapped in elastic bands

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:33 pm

I haven’t been contacted by the club so can I assume I wasn’t one of the 100 ST holders who got pulled out of the raffle?

Anybody hear of others getting the magic ticket?

Bob Prole
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Bob Prole » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:05 pm

Shamrock Rovers dropped points again tonight.

The 2020 squad with a proper manager (as in if they had replaced Vinny properly if they did feel he had to go) would be 10 points clear tonight. 100% believe that.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:34 am

I wouldn't agree we would be 10 points clear if we had a proper manager, (and improved attitude from the players), but I think we would be either leading by a slim margin or in second place, the standard is not great this season.

On the ownership side, if P6 depart end of season, which is probably a high certainty, they just can't down tools and leave, they will have two options, put the club up for sale, then if no buyer will still need to stay short term, but they would almost certainly reduce the budget to a shoestring, and that would be relegation country.

I suppose there is a 3rd option and they could just walk off but that would leave them in a very poor PR state and if they are investing into other clubs, it wouldn't help their cause, but that could happen I suppose, if it did we could be faced with no even getting a licencse next year, all of these options are looking bleak, unless new owners can be found.

Then what about the shape we will be in when they leave, they should leave the club as they found it when they bought it, with a few M in the bank, but of course they won't, we will almost certainly be left with a fair chunk of debt, so that will obviously detract from any potential buyers, again another bleak option.

Hate to ruin any positive news for a Sunday, but I can't see how this will end well with the changeover in ownership, unless other disagree?

I suppose on one hand its good news that gangsters like P6 will probably move on, but who picks up the tab then, and what direction does the club take post their ownership?

Towelie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Towelie » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:34 pm

With Shields all but confirmed to be leaving it really is time for Greg Sloggett to live up to his potential. Has been deeply frustrating since coming in and has only showed glimpses of his talent but I do think there's a player in there if he can regain confidence with proper management.

Looking for little bits of hope in everything but it's been so difficult lately.

We know we'll have Boyle, O'Kane and Val for next season. I was really hoping Chris and Pat(still uncertain) could've been added to that list as we need a spine of a team to work with.

Bob Prole
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Bob Prole » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:58 pm

Good point about Sloggett. Him and Shields never belonged in the same side so hopefully this is the making of him.

I was hoping against hope that lessons would be learned and that even if most moved on, the team could be rebuilt around keeping a few of the tried and tested like Boyle, Cleary, Shields, Duffy, Fats, Hoban and exciting new players like Ryan and Val with signings that would complement them. Sadly if the manager farce didn't make that unlikely, the shitshow at ownership level probably kills it stone dead.

Right up until this morning I never believed Jim's clear out would start with the captain.