2021 season General thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: 2021 season General thread

Post by Pepsi » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:57 am

superman wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:44 am Lyttle was very unconvincing at Sligo. They were much closer to relegation than Europe when was the manager. Look at the difference Liam Buckley has done there since he left. Someone who gets lost very easy in the noise.

Lyttle is another Keegan. The club is going nowhere with people like them.
Read an interview with Lyttle (think it was the Belfast Telegraph) yesterday where he blaimed all that on the lack of structures, having to use young players and lack of budget when he was there.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:00 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:40 am
Pepsi wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:08 am Could we see Lyttle come in as main man, the Italians as his assistants and Shane back to what he was hired to do??? Would fans accept it???
In a word no... We could realistically say we fudged the appointments twice now. I thínk saying it is twice, is slightly disingenuous towards Perth. People say the players drove 2019, but we were a penalty away from the clean sweep of all 5 trophies on offer and that can't be solely player driven. Perth may well have not been the right man, but he served his apprenticeship and deserved a crack at it. But again he hadn't his badges and was shadowed by John Gill. Now we have fg who definitely hasn't his badges and is unlikely to get on a course this season either, being shadowed by Keegan, our opposition analyst who has a failed managerial career, whereby he was manager of Wexford and Galway, both of whom were relegated under his leadership. We look unfit, disorganised clueless and toothless under their leadership. Is lyttle a step up? Personally No I don't think so. We took a punt on Kenny, when he was at his lowest ebb, then again so were we at that point, but equally Kenny was a proven winner. We are throwing money about the squad like confetti, but no point in doing that if we don't have skilled coaches and management team surrounding them. It's akin to having a ferrari and buying your spare parts for it in Aldi. Likes of Jurkovskis who had been one of our better players this season, can speak to other clubs in June. The way things are going currently, do you honestly see him hanging around next season? Not a chance. Would you blame him? This next managerial choice will define the route the club are going for. If we want to be a European club in Ireland, then we need to hire the best possible manager with a proven track record of success and most importantly the most upto date coaching credentials. Aim high or go home. We can offer him an extra €50k on wages. Saves us paying UEFA dead money in fines.
Kenny was a proven winner as you say and was unemployed so he was the obvious choice. Of course, he still had to be convinced of the project. In the end his appointment worked out for both parties.
There’s no such obvious candidate saying ‘come and get me’ now

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Pepsi wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:54 am OK Niall, I am with you on everything you say ......... but who do you feel is the solution??? Do you think we have someone in Ireland who we could get??? Do you think we have to go looking in the lower leagues in the UK, maybe Scotland??? What about a German, Dutch or Scandanavian coach???

Personally, I dont see a trainer out there screaming Dundalk come and get me. On the other side I would not be against a trainer coming in from the lower leagues in Germany, Holland or Scandanavia if they have experience and qualifications. At this point I would also be saying OK to the likes of a Paul Lambert coming in....players would respect him because of his playing career.
I would have absolutely no problem with a foreign manager coming in, provided they have the prerequisite badges. It hasn't worked this time, because fg doesn't have the badges and without insulting the man, which I never will, but he managed juveniles not a team of senior elite champions. You can have kids listen to you as you are their coach, they know nothing about UEFA licencing etc, but professional players do. And for a certain extent the coach can learn on the job whilst coaching juveniles. You try some things and they work and others fail miserably but with juveniles you are under no pressure to get ir right immediately, as for the most part you are a volunteer. Whilst I am in favour of a young unknown foreign manager it is just the club taking another punt. Then again its probably a better punt to bringing someone in from cross channel who is washed up no interest in the league or has preconceived ideas that the league is sub standard. A long time ago but John Hewitt prime example, led to believe the league was a pub league standard. OK the loi isn't the greatest league in the world, but surely we have the pulling power to say we got to the champions league play off round in 2016, and have since qualified twice in 4 years for the group stages of the Europa league. That has to count for something in the greater scheme of things. Clubs all around the world hire in independent people to hold interviews etc. We can't have certain people with only one agenda pushing substandard clients our way to fit their own agendas. The keeper pats have on loan from Liverpool appears to be very good indeed. While we signed Abibi and cherrie, who whilst a good keeper, Kenny deemed surplus to requirements in 2015. The entire recruitment of players and staff is totally out of kilter.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by punkha » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:17 pm

Pepsi wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:54 am OK Niall, I am with you on everything you say ......... but who do you feel is the solution??? Do you think we have someone in Ireland who we could get??? Do you think we have to go looking in the lower leagues in the UK, maybe Scotland??? What about a German, Dutch or Scandanavian coach???

Personally, I dont see a trainer out there screaming Dundalk come and get me. On the other side I would not be against a trainer coming in from the lower leagues in Germany, Holland or Scandanavia if they have experience and qualifications. At this point I would also be saying OK to the likes of a Paul Lambert coming in....players would respect him because of his playing career.
You'd be ok with Paul Lambert coming in? Some serious notions here. As if the likes of him would be interested hes levels above anything we could hope to attract.
Let's face it any half decent tactically aware manager will be a massive step up from what we have.

Towelie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Towelie » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:29 pm

According to James Rogers on twitter "More to it than a tweet could justify but long story short it was just a training session and the management team are still in place despite rumours to the contrary"

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:51 pm

The League Cup didn't have to be put aside again thid year. The season was later starting but it could have been complete in a few mid week games.
It might have been useful to build confidence with a win or 2.

The Pl fitted it into their condensed calendar,though it's probably more for financial aspect that it was given the go ahead.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:10 pm

Said it before, what we need is a manager with League 1 experience (or higher if we could tempt them), who is available. There has to be a few candidates who fill that criteria out there?

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:47 pm

Said the exact same myself today. Looks like he could play there not a bother

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 pm

Anyway...........................if Derry beat Rovers tomorrow night we will be bottom of the league.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:44 pm

Wexford White wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 pm Anyway...........................if Derry beat Rovers tomorrow night we will be bottom of the league.
And ironically it's the result we want. If we were only four points behind them after the disaster of a start we had it would be astonishing
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 pm

Great to see another local business on board with CTI business solutions signing up for two years. The commercial side of the club seems to be ticking away quite well.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:52 am

Louth4sam wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:44 pm
Wexford White wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 pm Anyway...........................if Derry beat Rovers tomorrow night we will be bottom of the league.
And ironically it's the result we want. If we were only four points behind them after the disaster of a start we had it would be astonishing
Well that's true - never thought of it like that.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Alrightourfella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alrightourfella » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:32 am

Obsessed with Rovers some are if Derry beat rovers we'll be bottom of the league and 9 pts behind St Pats that's the reality

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:21 am

Alrightourfella wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:32 am Obsessed with Rovers some are if Derry beat rovers we'll be bottom of the league and 9 pts behind St Pats that's the reality
Rovers are still the most likely winners of the league at the minute. IF we can turn this season around and Rovers are still in touching distant, any dropped points by them is to.our advantage. IF we turn this season around, we will catch St Pat's.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:31 am

We look hopeless at the moment. Right now, really only Derry and Longford are possible to finish below us.

We are way more likely to be in a relegation battle than be title contenders.
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903