Dundalk v Finn Harps | League Series 2 | Friday 26 March 2021 ko 17.45

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk v Finn Harps | League Series 2 | Friday 26 March 2021 ko 17.45

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:20 pm

Peak11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 pm
Louth4sam wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:14 pm
magarnagle wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:05 pm I'm always at pains not to make rash judgements and believe managers need time but there are too many worrying signs, I just can't see it getting better.
I think his record is something ridiculous now like two wins in eleven league games. I think it's pretty safe for us to make judgements now that aren't rash.

Put Magilton in charge and find the right long term replacement, don't rush this.
Magilton wouldn't take the manager's job, and Bill wouldn't give it to him anyway.

Filippo has won one competitive game in Oriel Park. His first. Against a team that got relegated.
If memory serves me right we almost messed that one up as well. 2-0 pegged back to 2-2.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:23 pm

Too many players take too much out of the ball. At least Han and O Kane showed directness when they came on, both are lively players.

Not much punch in midfield. McEleney while a great player when fit, must be made of glass.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:24 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:14 pm
magarnagle wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:05 pm I'm always at pains not to make rash judgements and believe managers need time but there are too many worrying signs, I just can't see it getting better.
I think his record is something ridiculous now like two wins in eleven league games. I think it's pretty safe for us to make judgements now that aren't rash.

Put Magilton in charge and find the right long term replacement, don't rush this.
I was willing to cut some slack based on when he came in, the circumstances, Europe and the cup but there's been a long off season to work with the team and we look clueless at times and very sloppy which I presume is down to lack of game time.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:25 pm

Lads we should be putting at least 2-3 goals past teams....no excuses. System is not right and some of our so called established players are only going through the motions, fitness looks questionable again, Harps looked a meter faster than us all night. Someone needs to crack the whip.....Magilton claims to have put many trainers through the Pro-License up North...surely he has someones number who can come in and do a better job. I would certainly hope he is the one who will be picking the next trainer....
Last edited by Pepsi on Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:26 pm

I was willing to give FG a chance this season, but he has already blown that chance. We are a one trick pony, so easy for teams to set up against us.
Junior is terrible and a 17 year old kid is twice the player. Han looks like he could be a decent find. Dummigan and Cleary were decent in parts but Cleary was caught out for their winner. Hoban looks like he is coming back to his best and has hit the post 2 weeks in a row, fine margins that could've had us on 4 points rather than 1.
I really hope Magilton is already looking at replacement because if we stick with the current setup we are in serious trouble.

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by punkha » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:37 pm

While I was willing to give Filippo a chance let's be honest we've been pretty shocking since he came in absolutely no shape or gameplan.
Even the cup final we were terrible for 70 mins and Rovers should have been out of sight before Davie Mac and a decent extra time shift covered over our shortcomings.
While I know it's mostly about the badges but if Shane Keegan has any say in the team management we're ducked...I wouldn't let him sell programmes with his record in the league.
It's only a matter of when not if these boys get the boot but fear that it won't happen till 7 or 8 games in when we're 10 or 15 points behind and the league is over.

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hull White » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:34 am

Ah yes, now for a huge dose of realism. The management team are clueless. The keeper is clueless. Magilton was a failure in every management job he ever had. Peak 6 are clueless. The only bright spark is young O'Kane. The only reason we won the cup was down to the pride of the players and as for FG's success in Europe........ We never came close to getting a point in the group stages of the Europa League and he only beat teams we should have beaten anyway to get to the group stages. The league record since the arrival of the two tactical geniuses has been abysmal and warrants the boot even at this early stage and Shane should maybe stick to hurling. Clear them out and appoint a manager who knows the league and has experience of winning football matches. Much as I hate Fenlon, appoint him until the end of the season and take our time to find a long term solution. Preferably, someone who has a clue about football, shape and tactics. Will you all please stop backing this current set up, support the team by all means but please stop this sycophantic love in with the clowns in charge. God I am angry, we should romp this bloody league. C'mon the town.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:14 am

Quayman wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:17 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:15 pm Not excusing the performance but surely their 2nd was a mile offside? The boys on Dundalk FM thought so too
But the sligo disallowed winner last week was onside so these things even themselves out.....
Eh not sure about that. Poor camera angle but Sligo didn’t make a big deal about it considering it was a 92 min winner.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:42 am

Hull White wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:34 am Ah yes, now for a huge dose of realism. The management team are clueless. The keeper is clueless. Magilton was a failure in every management job he ever had. Peak 6 are clueless. The only bright spark is young O'Kane. The only reason we won the cup was down to the pride of the players and as for FG's success in Europe........ We never came close to getting a point in the group stages of the Europa League and he only beat teams we should have beaten anyway to get to the group stages. The league record since the arrival of the two tactical geniuses has been abysmal and warrants the boot even at this early stage and Shane should maybe stick to hurling. Clear them out and appoint a manager who knows the league and has experience of winning football matches. Much as I hate Fenlon, appoint him until the end of the season and take our time to find a long term solution. Preferably, someone who has a clue about football, shape and tactics. Will you all please stop backing this current set up, support the team by all means but please stop this sycophantic love in with the clowns in charge. God I am angry, we should romp this bloody league. C'mon the town.
The bit in bold is key. A blind man should be able to see that Giovagnoli is hopelessly unqualified for the role. Fans need to unite and demand change, otherwise it is over.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:49 am

Lads it is all well and good asking fans to unite and demand change....as Dan McDonnel had on his twitter a few weeks ago, a segment of Dundalks fans were asking him to ask questions. Now my very simple question....what happens if Peak6 say tomorrow...we will give fans what they want, we are off. Anyone around willing to step in and take over?? Anyone got the finances needed to pay players and bills??? People should be careful of what they wish for, Peak6 are welcome to stay however they have to run the club differently.......(and by the way, I feel Peak6 have to act, however in that I mean, Jim has to be looking for a new manager)

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:58 am

Fenlon is the General manager of Linfield. I doubt he would risk leaving that to be a stop gap for Dundalk.

Peak 6 have brought in Magilton as a Director of Football and have signed a couple of International players on decent wages. If they do bite the bullet with the current management in the future, they will probaly be in a better place with Magilton to give advice on candidates.

No need for the childish jbes, 'clowns in charge. Plenty of clubs in Ireland would have been happy with a Cup final win and Europa group stages. And the performances in group stages weren't that bad. Playing higher quality teams , and scored more then in the 2016 group stages.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:05 am

Richie87 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:58 am No need for the childish jbes, 'clowns in charge. Plenty of clubs in Ireland would have been happy with a Cup final win and Europa group stages. And the performances in group stages weren't that bad. Playing higher quality teams , and scored more then in the 2016 group stages.
Players looking for contracts (here and elsewhere) raised their game and put in a few good performances. Look at Giovagnoli's stats in league games, and the general disorganisation in those games. There is no sign of that improving. Make the change before it is too late.

shep
Reserves
Reserves

Post by shep » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:13 am

I was one of the people who said we needed to give Filippo a chance last season when he was derided by many. However I can see no improvement whatsoever in league performances. I feel although it would be harsh we now must act and replace him with a proper manager who knows what they are at if we are to have any chance of winning the league. They should have went all out to get Paul Cook when he was available. Last night’s performance was really really poor in every sense. A hard watch and just brought me back to the frustration of watching our games on Watch LOI last season.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:17 am

I think white horse means by fans uniting to call for change, that it is for peak 6 to take the steps of looking for a proper MANAGER of the team, not a Shane Keegan, FG and committee selection process. Keegan may have the badges but is not up to the challenge, if he is manager then he shouldn't be working part time as a hurling club coach on the side. We are a professional club act professionally. No point having the highest playing budget in the league when we haven't the best coaches and fitness s&c coaches. Because clearly we don't. I'd rather have John Gill than Shane Keegan. At least John Gill has some passion and affinity for our club.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:30 am

When the pressure in on, we play like a bunch of lads having a kickabout. Absolutely no shape or organisation. We were well on top when Hoban scored, it was clear that taking off the two passengers at half time was paying off, plus Harps were now playing against a strong wind.
All we needed was to keep our shape & be patient, and we would have carve out the chances to win the game. Did we do that? No. Players threw themselves forward (Leahy in particular who was just yards away from Giovagnoli) and left gaps that a bus in first gear could exploit. Professional teams that are properly coached don't do that. If you don't do the basics right in professional sport, you are screwed.