Derry v Dundalk | League Series 6 | Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium | 7.45pm

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Derry v Dundalk | League Series 6 | Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium | 7.45pm

Post by GC. » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:22 am

FFS. Wasn’t it great when we won the league after the club was sold. Now it’s Paul and Andy’s fault for this sh1t??? The guys saved the club, made it clear their time was up, and sold it to who they believed to be the best people to take the club further. They left it in a healthy state. They are not responsible for what happened since we last won the league. Also, claiming that they made a fortune out of it...that seems strange when it was claimed that they left the money in the club for future investment. So which is it?
Last edited by GC. on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Breffni white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Derry v Dundalk | League Series 6 | Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium | 7.45pm

Post by Breffni white » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:23 am

Apart from the goal keeping errors which are mounting up it's not clicking at the other end either , that's 6 games where we haven't scored more than one goal which leaves you with no room for errors at the other end .

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:32 am

Unpopular question to last night ......
Is Abibi the real problem, is it the back four infront of him or is it a combination of both?? The 4 lads infront of Abibi have a mistake in them ...... add to them, Shields is not doing what he does best infront of the back 4.

Am not saying Abibi is the answer, far from it, however I have a feeling the lad is getting a raw deal. Cleary has a brain fart or two every game ....... Shields not so often however also not doing the simple things right.

Breffni white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Breffni white » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:49 am

[/quote]

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:19 am

Just watched the goals again, I'm absolutely fuming! We have gone from the most experienced goalkeeper the league has ever seen to a Sunday pub league keeper.
Maybe Magilton was willing to give him another chance last night but surely now he has to see Abibi is simply not good enough.
You can spend any amount of money on outfield players, they could be the best players the club has ever had but if you have an amateur league standard goalkeeper then you are in big trouble.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:24 am

Any chance of Rogers doing what Scholes did years ago and coming out of retirement for this season?

Gives us more time to source a new keeper and we know Rogers is alot better than what we have at the moment. Anyone up in Oriel able to pull that one off

Alrightourfella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alrightourfella » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:27 am

Regarding the previous owners the success of Dundalk FC has come at a price the 3 lads that went to Donegal to persuade SK to take the job dont even talk to each other anymore life long friendships gone that has turned very sour.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:31 am

Pepsi wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:32 am Unpopular question to last night ......
Is Abibi the real problem, is it the back four infront of him or is it a combination of both??
There are many problems. I wouldn't call any on of them the "real" problem. The difference between Abibi and the others is that it is easily solved. There is an experienced LOI keep on the bench and the club should be targeting a new recruit as soon as possible so that they can say goodbye to Mr Abibi.

The back 4 is not operating as a four. Since the Italian bluffer came in, tactical shape and the basics of the game went out the window. It will take a competent coach time to get the defensive unit right. Remember the first half season under Kenny, it was a defensive rollercoaster. The back four had a mistake in them ever game. It took about 15-20 games to get tight.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:53 am

Is Abibi the real problem, is it the back four infront of him or is it a combination of both?? The 4 lads infront of Abibi have a mistake in them ...... add to them, Shields is not doing what he does best infront of the back 4.

Am not saying Abibi is the answer, far from it, however I have a feeling the lad is getting a raw deal. Cleary has a brain fart or two every game ....... Shields not so often however also not doing the simple things right.
Abibi getting a raw deal? Sorry to be profane, but, are you fucking blind man? Last night he came and flapped miserably at the ball, his positioning for rovers goal i think it was was way off and the clearance into the harps player for their goal. Come on you simply can't defend him anymore. He isn't good enough simple as. Magilton owns that decision to play him last night. He doesn't play we win 1-0. He doesn't play this season we are 7 points better off and only 4 points off the pace instead of being 11 off the pace and in the bottom 3.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:53 am

Abibi getting a raw deal? Sorry to be profane, but, are you fucking blind man? Last night he came and flapped miserably at the ball, his positioning for rovers goal i think it was was way off and the clearance into the harps player for their goal. Come on you simply can't defend him anymore. He isn't good enough simple as. Magilton owns that decision to play him last night. He doesn't play we win 1-0. He doesn't play this season we are 7 points better off and only 4 points off the pace instead of being 11 off the pace and in the bottom 3.
Would the problem be as big if the defenders were playing their part infront of him??? I am not saying he is good enough, far from it, however I do have a feeling the problem is not solely Abibi. There is a big problem infront of him, very few calling it out.

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hull White » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:12 am

It is a fair question to ask Pepsi. In truth it is probably a combination of both, together with a totally confused midfield and an attack with no supply and feeding off scraps. Harry Kane would struggle to score with the service provided at the moment. Look, in my opinion, Abibi is a terrible goalkeeper. The only reason he has got where he is can only be his size. He has no technical ability and his positional play is dreadful. That sort of goalkeeper does not give a defence any confidence. They don't know wether to go or stay, wether to attack the ball or not and this is key, they don't know if he will deal with what's behind them, hence the defence screaming at him to "catch the f*cking thing " the other night. Now, the defence are nothing to write home about either, they are certainly not Gannon, Boyle, Gartland and Massey in their prime. Their only excuse is that they have no clear picture of how they are wanted to play. I feel really sorry for Shields. He has been the best holding midfielder in the LOI since 2014 bar none, so why is he being asked to play as a third centre back most of the time? This leaves Stanton or whoever else plays there to have to do the workload of two players and we cannot get the ball forward. We are basically playing six defenders to cover the fact that the keeper is Rubbish. When we get a manager who knows what he is doing and passes it on effectively these problems should clear themselves to an extent but I do not think they have recruited well in any shape or form. We have let go better players than we have signed. This cock up is totally the fault of the owners and the inferior management team. Magilton is the Technical Director. I have never understood the role but I do know they are responsible for signings etc, on that basis alone he should be shown the door but he has a 4 year contract and they will have to compensate him. He is a joker, but is a good talker but has no substance. I would have no confidence in anyone he signs or appoints. I really hope I am wrong, but we are in deep doo doo. The yanks keep spouting on about the importance to them of European football but you have to qualify for that, you certainly won't get it in the first division. If they walk we will be finished with inferior players and big wages. We have missed out on a lot of good Irish players and signed a lot of very average journeymen from abroad. Ok, there are a couple of "Internationals" but who for? They wouldn't be Internationals anywhere else but who they play for, i.e. The cannon fodder of Europe. It is a very sad state of affairs but on a positive note, if they accidentally get a qualified football man who knows what they are doing with regards to team shape, who can identify imposters and who can let players do what they are good for we could finish half way up the league this year and maybe push on next year. We should have a smaller better quality playing squad and give them the security of longer contracts and promote good young players like O'Kane to blend in for the future. The priority is to get an experienced and commanding keeper who looks like he may have played there before and the confidence will start from there. You can go and play when you have confidence in your keeper.

But we all know the above don't we lads? For what it's worth, I don't think it is helpful to slag off the two lads who saved this club and allowed SK to perform his magic. They put their money where the mouth is when no one else would or could. They deserve praise even if they made a bit of money out of it. They are local lads who didn't want to see the club die but knew their limits. Big respect to them. Dundalk Football Club has always been about the people on and off the pitch, the stadium has always been crap, we have played in Drogheda and Monaghan but guess what, we are still here and will be long after the Yankey clowns pull out and take their shit with them. C'mon da town.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:27 am

Pepsi wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 am

Would the problem be as big if the defenders were playing their part infront of him??? I am not saying he is good enough, far from it, however I do have a feeling the problem is not solely Abibi. There is a big problem infront of him, very few calling it out.
I said it in other threads. There seems to be no leadership in defence without Garts. No one has stepped up to fill his boots organising the line.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:45 am

Pepsi wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 am

Yes there is absolutely a big problem in front of him. We are being destroyed in centre mf and the heart of the defence, but you can't blame this for a keeper who simply isn't up to the standard required. Is it the other 10 players faults when he kicks a ball directly at the opponent or is dispossessed by the striker to score or comes for a ball and flaps at it? Bottom line is Abibi with his own mistakes has cost us 7 points this season.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:42 pm

I think Abibi is getting a raw deal. He's by no means great but his mistakes are being used as an excuse. Last night he conceded one goal which he should have saved but playing in front of him is a team which should be scoring goals galore.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:44 pm

Wexford White wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:42 pm I think Abibi is getting a raw deal. He's by no means great but his mistakes are being used as an excuse. Last night he conceded one goal which he should have saved but playing in front of him is a team which should be scoring goals galore.
We aren't scoring that is clear, but getting no luck in front of goals. Crossbar post double clearances off line Stanton 1 on 1 should have made it 2-0 but the bottom line is if Abibi doesn't mess up last night we win the game. End of discussion.