Waterford v Dundalk

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Waterford v Dundalk

Post by Wexford White » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:04 pm

With all the intrigue about the new manager, ground standards, etc. have we forgotten that we play Waterford tomorrow?
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Waterford v Dundalk

Post by Carrick_Road » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:55 pm

Fully expect us to win comfortably to be honest. Zahibo looks like a great addition and the players are getting more and more time playing together after such a short pre season.

Mc Millan still needs to be our starting striker, hes on fire since end of last season.

Han looks exciting. Think we are turning a corner at long last....

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:40 am

Tomney is the ref, anything could happen. Wasn't he the ref down there a couple of years ago and had a mare, denied Duffy a stonewall peno?

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:48 pm

I can't believe there is so little interest being shown in this!
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:13 pm

magarnagle wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:40 am Tomney is the ref, anything could happen. Wasn't he the ref down there a couple of years ago and had a mare, denied Duffy a stonewall peno?
Is that not the case with most LOI refs??? Standard is terrible.

As for interest, a lot of people very quiet since Bill spoke on the podcast. Needless to say if we dont get a result they will be out in force tomorrow.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:45 pm

Pepsi wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:13 pm
As for interest, a lot of people very quiet since Bill spoke on the podcast. Needless to say if we dont get a result they will be out in force tomorrow.
The thread before the Drogheda game was only started 45 minutes before kick off.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:06 pm

I'd go with
Cherrie
Cleary Boyle jurkovskis dummigan
Shields Zahibo McEleney
Duffy, Is Dan Kelly fit to start? If not Han
McMillan don't think hoban is fit yet?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Alrightourfella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alrightourfella » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:09 pm

Am not a fan of bills and his interview should be taken with a pinch of salt he's just saying what fans want to hear positive
action is needed positive decisions are desperately needed and from his previous choices and actions i don't see anything changing anyway on the game i expect dlk to win by a comfortable margin...

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 pm

Alrightourfella wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:09 pm Am not a fan of bills and his interview should be taken with a pinch of salt he's just saying what fans want to hear positive
action is needed positive decisions are desperately needed and from his previous choices and actions i don't see anything changing anyway on the game i expect dlk to win by a comfortable margin...
Or alternatively he is speaking honestly and it doesn't need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Bash bash bash....it is the default reaction of so many. I don't know if he is being 100% honest or saying what people want to hear, but I do know that he didn't have to do an interview if he didn't want to.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Pepsi wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:13 pm
magarnagle wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:40 am Tomney is the ref, anything could happen. Wasn't he the ref down there a couple of years ago and had a mare, denied Duffy a stonewall peno?
Is that not the case with most LOI refs??? Standard is terrible.

Very true, the scale goes from bad to Buttimer with Tomney being close to the latter.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:27 pm

Alrightourfella wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:09 pm Am not a fan of bills and his interview should be taken with a pinch of salt he's just saying what fans want to hear positive
What did he say that fans wanted to hear?

I didn't hear him say he was stepping aside, building a 10,000 seater stadium or appointing Pep as manager. As far as I can tell that's what the fans want

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:46 pm

GC. wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 pm
Or alternatively he is speaking honestly and it doesn't need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Bash bash bash....it is the default reaction of so many. I don't know if he is being 100% honest or saying what people want to hear, but I do know that he didn't have to do an interview if he didn't want to.
I think he is genuinely trying his best like he says why the hell would he bothering otherwise. I've said it before bringing Magilton in seems to be a good move and hopefully it was because Bill had the self awareness that he needed help as he was lacking the skills and ability necessary to run this club on his own.

I'm assuming you also recognise that there is a default reaction of defending Bill here by many also? There was about five posts in a row praising the interview and more or less absolving him of the mistakes made. I want the best people at the club, from players on the pitch, manager, coaches and CEO. Those that are so quick to absolve Bill, how many of you wanted Filippo sacked for his mistakes. How many of you would start Abibi tonight? Surely they're only human also and entitled to make mistakes?

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:48 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:06 pm I'd go with
Cherrie
Cleary Boyle jurkovskis dummigan
Shields Zahibo McEleney
Duffy, Is Dan Kelly fit to start? If not Han
McMillan don't think hoban is fit yet?
Team pretty much picks itself for me. Same team as last time and high intensity from the start. Waterford are very poor and I think they'll finish last so 3 points is a must tonight.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:24 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:46 pm
GC. wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 pm
I think he is genuinely trying his best like he says why the hell would he bothering otherwise. I've said it before bringing Magilton in seems to be a good move and hopefully it was because Bill had the self awareness that he needed help as he was lacking the skills and ability necessary to run this club on his own.

I'm assuming you also recognise that there is a default reaction of defending Bill here by many also? There was about five posts in a row praising the interview and more or less absolving him of the mistakes made. I want the best people at the club, from players on the pitch, manager, coaches and CEO. Those that are so quick to absolve Bill, how many of you wanted Filippo sacked for his mistakes. How many of you would start Abibi tonight? Surely they're only human also and entitled to make mistakes?
There is more of a default of bashing him at every opportunity. I would assume that you are right about him recognising his failings and hiring Magilton. In the world of football, Magilton could end up a disaster too. I think the main issue that Bill has is distance. Understandably, the virus has made it more difficult, but I think he needs to be based in Dundalk to run the club effectively, and communicate face to face with staff within the club. Video calls are all well and good, but they don't help create a feeling that everyone is in it together.

Mistakes will always be made due to people being human. I guarantee that everyone here has made mistakes in work and got away with it. It is much more difficult to get away when the public eye is on you as is the case with football clubs. I do think that most people realise that Bill knows his mistakes, and he will hopefully have learned from them. He is not going anywhere as far as we can see and so there is no point for attacking him at every opportunity, especially right after he has admitted to making mistakes.

The only way Bill will go is if he walks, or if he is sacked. However, the head of a company is often the last one sacked, unless the board want him gone, and in this case the board may all back him.

I feel sorry for Fillipo. There is no way he could have turned down the job. He was amazed he got it, and it has created what will probably be some of the best memories of his life. However, he was on borrowed time from day one due to his lack of qualifications, and the fact that he took over when his 2 predecessors were both league winners. That is a lot of pressure. I was all for giving him a chance as can be seen by my posts here. It a became apparent over time that the team seemed to struggle organisationally on the field. I have no idea of the cause....Fillipos instructions, or the players not understanding or liking the instructions. Either way, Fillipo was the man in charge, and he was ultimately responsible.

As for Abbibi. He looks great at times, and dire at other times. Does he need more time? I'll say that a reserve league is needed so that players like him (who obviously lacks confidence), other fringe players, and those returning from injury. One thing I have said before is that the defence in front of him didn't help as there is no leader. No one seems willing to step up and take charge, like Garts does. That may have affected Abbibi too, and may account for his positional issues if he is trying to cover defence and goals. If you asked, was he the next Gary Rogers, I would say yes, but only when Gary went through some ropey periods!

I think we all agree that we want the best people at the club. The situation we are in is not ideal, and can be improved. The next managerial appointment is crucial. Although, even if we appointed Alex Ferguson there would be people giving out. I'm just not one of those people who gives out for no apparent reason, or because their sources within the club are no longer present. I try to understand situations and the reasons for them. I try to give the benefit of the doubt when a change with the aim to improve things is made.

I think and really hope we are turning a corner, as the management of the club, and the players (who do have some responsibility as they are the guys on the pitch) are copping on. A convincing win against Waterford would be welcome.

ETA: Sorry about the rambling.
Last edited by GC. on Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:27 pm

double post