Waterford v Dundalk

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Waterford v Dundalk

Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:29 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:46 pm
GC. wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 pm
Alrightourfella wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:09 pm Am not a fan of bills and his interview should be taken with a pinch of salt he's just saying what fans want to hear positive
action is needed positive decisions are desperately needed and from his previous choices and actions i don't see anything changing anyway on the game i expect dlk to win by a comfortable margin...
Or alternatively he is speaking honestly and it doesn't need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Bash bash bash....it is the default reaction of so many. I don't know if he is being 100% honest or saying what people want to hear, but I do know that he didn't have to do an interview if he didn't want to.
I think he is genuinely trying his best like he says why the hell would he bothering otherwise. I've said it before bringing Magilton in seems to be a good move and hopefully it was because Bill had the self awareness that he needed help as he was lacking the skills and ability necessary to run this club on his own.

I'm assuming you also recognise that there is a default reaction of defending Bill here by many also? There was about five posts in a row praising the interview and more or less absolving him of the mistakes made. I want the best people at the club, from players on the pitch, manager, coaches and CEO. Those that are so quick to absolve Bill, how many of you wanted Filippo sacked for his mistakes. How many of you would start Abibi tonight? Surely they're only human also and entitled to make mistakes?
The man has come out and said he / Peak6 made mistakes ...... he had the balls to hold his hands up. Nobody is absolving him from anything, but there is also no point in dwelling on something which happened in the past. The important thing is that action is taken to ensure those mistakes do not happen again.

Interesting in the interview were his comments that JM is running the show on the ground, Bill isnt getting involved in picking teams and that FG wasnt happy having returned and the issue with the license. JM is charged with presenting a shortlist of candidates and the board will look at them (normal procedure at most clubs), the leak within Oriel seems to have been plugged and the mistake of appointing someone without a license will not be repeated. All things which show improvment or at least the attempt to improve things.

Abibi, would I start him??? Most likely no, the lad needs time out of the spotlight, however you have to remember someone presented Abibi to the board and they gave their OK to the deal (fans complain if the board sign players!!). Now we dont have to be rocket scientists to figure out who presented him and by in large what the consequence has been for that person. Next window you will see this problem also being addressed I would imagine. Not every signing is perfect, good goalkeepers are hard to find. Ask Fergie how many he went through after Peter Schmeichel retired before they got it right. We can only hope the next in the door works out.

So back to tonight ..... lets hope we get a win and a clean sheet.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:32 pm

Kelly will probably only play a small part after returning from injury. Is Murray back or not? I'd love to see him be fully fit and get a run. I think he has a lot to offer.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:25 pm

GC. wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:24 pm

Or alternatively he is speaking honestly and it doesn't need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Bash bash bash....it is the default reaction of so many. I don't know if he is being 100% honest or saying what people want to hear, but I do know that he didn't have to do an interview if he didn't want to.
I think he is genuinely trying his best like he says why the hell would he bothering otherwise. I've said it before bringing Magilton in seems to be a good move and hopefully it was because Bill had the self awareness that he needed help as he was lacking the skills and ability necessary to run this club on his own.

I'm assuming you also recognise that there is a default reaction of defending Bill here by many also? There was about five posts in a row praising the interview and more or less absolving him of the mistakes made. I want the best people at the club, from players on the pitch, manager, coaches and CEO. Those that are so quick to absolve Bill, how many of you wanted Filippo sacked for his mistakes. How many of you would start Abibi tonight? Surely they're only human also and entitled to make mistakes?
There is more of a default of bashing him at every opportunity. I would assume that you are right about him recognising his failings and hiring Magilton. In the world of football, Magilton could end up a disaster too. I think the main issue that Bill has is distance. Understandably, the virus has made it more difficult, but I think he needs to be based in Dundalk to run the club effectively, and communicate face to face with staff within the club. Video calls are all well and good, but they don't help create a feeling that everyone is in it together.

Mistakes will always be made due to people being human. I guarantee that everyone here has made mistakes in work and got away with it. It is much more difficult to get away when the public eye is on you as is the case with football clubs. I do think that most people realise that Bill knows his mistakes, and he will hopefully have learned from them. He is not going anywhere as far as we can see and so there is no point for attacking him at every opportunity, especially right after he has admitted to making mistakes.

The only way Bill will go is if he walks, or if he is sacked. However, the head of a company is often the last one sacked, unless the board want him gone, and in this case the board may all back him.

I feel sorry for Fillipo. There is no way he could have turned down the job. He was amazed he got it, and it has created what will probably be some of the best memories of his life. However, he was on borrowed time from day one due to his lack of qualifications, and the fact that he took over when his 2 predecessors were both league winners. That is a lot of pressure. I was all for giving him a chance as can be seen by my posts here. It a became apparent over time that the team seemed to struggle organisationally on the field. I have no idea of the cause....Fillipos instructions, or the players not understanding or liking the instructions. Either way, Fillipo was the man in charge, and he was ultimately responsible.

As for Abbibi. He looks great at times, and dire at other times. Does he need more time? I'll say that a reserve league is needed so that players like him (who obviously lacks confidence), other fringe players, and those returning from injury. One thing I have said before is that the defence in front of him didn't help as there is no leader. No one seems willing to step up and take charge, like Garts does. That may have affected Abbibi too, and may account for his positional issues if he is trying to cover defence and goals. If you asked, was he the next Gary Rogers, I would say yes, but only when Gary went through some ropey periods!

I think we all agree that we want the best people at the club. The situation we are in is not ideal, and can be improved. The next managerial appointment is crucial. Although, even if we appointed Alex Ferguson there would be people giving out. I'm just not one of those people who gives out for no apparent reason, or because their sources within the club are no longer present. I try to understand situations and the reasons for them. I try to give the benefit of the doubt when a change with the aim to improve things is made.

I think and really hope we are turning a corner, as the management of the club, and the players (who do have some responsibility as they are the guys on the pitch) are copping on. A convincing win against Waterford would be welcome.

ETA: Sorry about the rambling.
Pepsi wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:29 pm

The man has come out and said he / Peak6 made mistakes ...... he had the balls to hold his hands up. Nobody is absolving him from anything, but there is also no point in dwelling on something which happened in the past. The important thing is that action is taken to ensure those mistakes do not happen again.

Interesting in the interview were his comments that JM is running the show on the ground, Bill isnt getting involved in picking teams and that FG wasnt happy having returned and the issue with the license. JM is charged with presenting a shortlist of candidates and the board will look at them (normal procedure at most clubs), the leak within Oriel seems to have been plugged and the mistake of appointing someone without a license will not be repeated. All things which show improvment or at least the attempt to improve things.

Abibi, would I start him??? Most likely no, the lad needs time out of the spotlight, however you have to remember someone presented Abibi to the board and they gave their OK to the deal (fans complain if the board sign players!!). Now we dont have to be rocket scientists to figure out who presented him and by in large what the consequence has been for that person. Next window you will see this problem also being addressed I would imagine. Not every signing is perfect, good goalkeepers are hard to find. Ask Fergie how many he went through after Peter Schmeichel retired before they got it right. We can only hope the next in the door works out.

So back to tonight ..... lets hope we get a win and a clean sheet.
I apologise for the double quote lads, but you have both said mostly the same so saves me replying to both.

My issue is not that he made mistakes but that mistakes that he made are completely basic and realistically they wouldn't be made by 99% of people that have a semi interest in football. Yes he put his hands up and admitted to them but I feel that if he's making mistakes like that which shouldn't happen, what will he do next? Bill was/is incredibly naive on what it takes to run a football club and alienated a number of excellent volunteers that were the heartbeat of the club for years. If you want to run the club professionally and want to put your own full time staff in place, go for it but you need to transition properly. Oddly one of the mistakes he admitted to was letting a player go. I'm not so sure this was a mistake as I would find it very difficult to justify trying to compete with the contracts offered by Rovers or renew some of the others. Massey would be the only one I would have kept I think as we are a bit short in defence and he would be another leader in the dressing room and on the pitch.

I think there was a lot of raised eyebrows when Abibi was signed as he hasn't done enough in his career to match the profile of the player the club/Bill has said he wants to sign. It was also pretty obvious who signed him from where he came from. However Bill appointed Fillipo so he has to be partially to blame for the signing. I'd agree goalkeeper is a challenging position to fill but there was a number of excellent candidates available throughout the league and we went for someone that is not anywhere close to the standard needed.

The board have been signing players since Kenny was here and most haven't worked out. It is certainly looking a bit more promising this season but there is still a lot of poor players at the squad. I have no issue with players being signed by the board as long as the person signing them faces the same consequences as the manager will face if they don't work out.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:32 pm

GC. wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:32 pm Kelly will probably only play a small part after returning from injury. Is Murray back or not? I'd love to see him be fully fit and get a run. I think he has a lot to offer.
I wouldn't be rushing Kelly back and Han has done enough to retain his spot. I feel that Kelly is best off the bench anyway when defences are tiring. Imagine Han running at you for 60/70 minutes and the Kelly coming on when your legs are getting heavy. Murray is a tricky one as hard to see where he fits into the formation that we played last week. First half against Drogheda was the first time all season that we seem to have a bit of balance in the team. Playing Zahibo and Shields together at the back of a midfield triangle was a bold move which I'm not sure I would have made myself but it seemed to work. We lost our way in the second half and the triple substitution made us worse I think so this is also something we need to address tonight.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:02 pm

Lets not derail another thread. Team is in no Han or Kelly. 4 U19s on the bench, our big squad looking light

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:07 pm

------------------------------------------- 14 Peter Cherrie -----------------------------------------
-- 23 Cameron Dummigan - 21 Daniel Cleary - 4 Andy Boyle - 13 Raivis Jurkovskis------
------------------------------- 5 Chris Shields --- 19 Wilfried Zahibo------------------------------
17 Ole Erik Midtskogem------------------11 Patrick McEleney --------------- 7 Michael Duffy
---------------------------------------------- 29 David McMillan

Subs
Alessio Abibi
Enda Douglas
Greg Sloggett
Sean Murray
Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe
Val Adedokun
Ryan O’Kane
Mark Hanratty
Jesus Perez

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:12 pm

Looks like the injury list is
Gartland
Sonni
Leahy
Stanton
Han
Kelly
Hoban

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:16 pm

And I thought our bench looked light. Only 3 subs on the Waterford bench, one a keeper 😱

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:23 pm

Pity about Han

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:28 pm

magarnagle wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:16 pm And I thought our bench looked light. Only 3 subs on the Waterford bench, one a keeper 😱
They are terrible this season we couldn't have wished for an easier game to get a bit of confidence back

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:38 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:28 pm
magarnagle wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:16 pm And I thought our bench looked light. Only 3 subs on the Waterford bench, one a keeper 😱
They are terrible this season we couldn't have wished for an easier game to get a bit of confidence back
Dont jinx it ....

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:41 pm

Daryl Murphy must be injured , hasn't been involved in the last few Waterford Squads. They don't have much threat in the starting 11, but then they could spring a surprise..

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:04 pm

That’s 2 clear handballs in the box by Waterford. More poor officiating

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:42 pm

2 - 0 at half time , playing very well. Cmon the Town.👍
Make that 3-0.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:27 pm

No fcuking luck with injuries...... would have to ask what is going on in the sports science and medical department.