Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk| League Series 19 | Friday 02 July 2021 ko 20.00

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk| League Series 19 | Friday 02 July 2021 ko 20.00

Post by oldfogey » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:40 pm

Let's get this out there early to stimulate some interesting conversation.

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk| League Series 19 | Friday 02 July 2021 ko 20.00

Post by Bob Prole » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:24 pm

Is Vinny generally going to stick with 4-5-1? If he is who are the first choice central two? Sloggett and Stanton I think, with Fats back in the 10 role and Duffy and Kelly wide and Murray the rotating option.

Zahibo doesn’t seem to have much future, but if there’s a Dundalk player there, then maybe doing a job on Towell is where he’ll show it. Could see Bradley starting Towell seeing as they’ve looked quite ordinary since we beat them.

We’re more than capable of beating them but hard to know what we will be like without Shields.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:14 am

First thing is to appoint a new club captain and I guess we are looking at the old guard for candidates.

Hoban - leads by example but can be a bit petulant at times. Strikers more likely to be substituted.
Boyle - A quiet leader and the only senior player under contract for next season
Outsiders - McEleney, McMillan, Cleary.

Vinny is building up Sloggett as Shields' natural successor so lets hope he responds. Have certainly seen improvements in him recently and confidence is an amazing thing.

Win lose or draw I hope we take the game to Rovers and try to dominate them. 2 wins in 8 for the former 'invincibles' - against Waterford and Longford. No team in the league is even averaging 2 points a game.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:04 am

Such a massive game for so many reasons, any lingering hope of a miracle will need us to win this. They are not a patch on how good they were this year, we beat them in last game but this is a massive challenge. Even if they are going through a poor run of form they still have the players that can punish us plus you have Towell as an unknown quantity.

Abibi
Dummigan Boyle Nattestad Jurkovskis
Sloggett Stanton
Fats Patching Duffy
Hoban

Shields is such a massive loss. Many of us have been critical of the lack of leaders in the side and we've just loss our biggest leader. Plus you have his on-pitch ability, he is one of the best, if not the best at his position in the league. I don't think Sloggett or any other player at the club can step in to that mantle. I fear it will be square pegs in round holes here and it may cost us. It really has to be a cost saving exercise letting him go as it is a monumental task trying to replace him in this window.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:12 am

Louth4sam wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:04 am It really has to be a cost saving exercise letting him go
Has Chris himself not cleared this up? He was unequivocal in his answers around the move.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:38 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:12 am
Louth4sam wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:04 am It really has to be a cost saving exercise letting him go
Has Chris himself not cleared this up? He was unequivocal in his answers around the move.
He cleared up his reasoning for leaving which I have no issues with, however he signed a contract until the end of the season. Do we just release all players who want out? He's a club legend and probably has a lot of credit built up but it leaves a massive hole in midfield and cover at centre half. Maybe the club have a replacement lined up or maybe Vinny has seen something in Sloggett that I haven't that makes him think he can drop deeper and play that role but we have just seen some improvement in the team and I fear we could lose that momentum with the loss of Shields.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:47 am

Louth4sam wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:38 am
He cleared up his reasoning for leaving which I have no issues with, however he signed a contract until the end of the season. Do we just release all players who want out?
No, but as he said, he went to Bill and Jim as a father who wants to see his children more. And they reluctantly agreed. I believe Chris.

Vinny has said he is happy with the cover in central midfield. Stanton, Sloggett, Zahibo, Patching, McEleney, Murray - thats 6 for 3 places - and its the centre of defence that needs strengthening.

We didn't always play with a ball winner like Shields. O'Donnell played that 6 role and is a totally different player to Shields.

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hull White » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:01 pm

Chris lives in the North so I get that pull for him but let's not totally pretend that Peak 6 were going to give him a new 3 year contract on the same terms as Linfield at his age. They are not giving anyone a 3 year contract at the moment let alone a 30 year old. That said, he has been outstanding for us apart from his 1st season and I wish that he had gotten the chance to finish in better times in front of a full house at Oriel were we could have shown our appreciation for a great club servant, outstanding Captain and decent fella. Good luck in the future Chris and thank you.

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:21 pm

Hopefully we're well stocked in midfield to see out the season starting with Friday. There are a few concerns. Sloggett has never found a comfortable role in the same midfield as Shields so maybe now is his time. Fats hasn't stepped up all season and Sean Murray has never cemented a place in the side which is disappointing as well. I hope Patching doesn't resent a recall either. Stanton has really started to come good and has passed Jurkovskis as best of the new signings for me. But you'd like to think you could fashion a top class midfield from those five, with Kelly and Duffy nailing down the wide positions.

I don't rate that Rovers side much. McCann has been a poor signing - another oul lad who took the standard for granted. Mandroiu is hot and cold. Towell hard to know how quickly he'll fit in. They can be hurt behind the wing backs, neither look comfortable. Gannon still hasn't got the hang of it. If they click on the evening they'll probably beat us but they haven't been impressive in any game I've seen them and stole a fair few of their points.

I believe Chris that he had decided to move on and that's grand, owes us nothing and all that. I know you can't read his mind but I don't believe that when the season started he was already looking to leave in July rather than just wait until the season was over a couple of months later. Dundalk from Bangor is about 1 hour 20 minutes and Windsor Park from Bangor is about 30 minutes so it's not so different to suddenly be something you couldn't tolerate for a few more months. And is he going to see more of his kids playing Saturday afternoons than Friday evenings?! He had most Saturdays off with us. Linfield were happy to wait until other northern teams started sniffing so it's not like they said "now or never". So either something happened that he wanted out now, or we were happy to sell. Neither is good in my opinion.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:18 pm

When I said interesting discussion I meant about the game on Friday night.

They are all valid comments, but 50% of the posts here are completely off topic. Can we please stick to the subject?

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:27 pm

I understand why VP played Shields in defence v Derry, so the MF could get a game to get used to life AC (after Chris !) but I wonder why he started Murray in place of Sloggett?

Maybe it was to see what Murray could do (I didn't think he had a good game), before putting Sloggett on, so this would be my team for Friday, also prob same as LFS but just not sure on if he will stick with Leahy or not, he can be very quiet, really hasn't pushed on for us, and the games started is ridiculously low.

................Abibi
Dummigan Boyle Nattestad Jurkovskis
............Sloggett Stanton
.........Fats Patching Duffy..........
.................Hoban

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:35 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:47 am
Louth4sam wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:38 am

He cleared up his reasoning for leaving which I have no issues with, however he signed a contract until the end of the season. Do we just release all players who want out?
No, but as he said, he went to Bill and Jim as a father who wants to see his children more. And they reluctantly agreed. I believe Chris.

Vinny has said he is happy with the cover in central midfield. Stanton, Sloggett, Zahibo, Patching, McEleney, Murray - thats 6 for 3 places - and its the centre of defence that needs strengthening.

We didn't always play with a ball winner like Shields. O'Donnell played that 6 role and is a totally different player to Shields.
I'm not doubting Shields here whatsoever. What I'm saying is Peak6 seems keen to reduce costs, a player comes to them with a request based on compassionate grounds, it's a nice out for them and save face with the fans.

Maybe you're right and we can produce a midfield from the players still at the club. It's a fantastic opportunity for Sloggett now, hopefully he can step up.

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:20 pm

Derry could make a bid for McEleney in July with Patching returning.

Shamrock Rovers didn't replace McEniff. Chris McCann is more a sitting player and doesn't have the legs. Finn not as dynamic as he once was.
They don't have a winger like Duffy ,quite a workmanlike team . And still persisting with Aaron Green up top when he doesn't score many goals.

Dundalk can get a result at the weekend, maybe Towell will give Rovers a lift but that's up to Dundalk to not let that happen

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:12 am

Burke out for rovers due to suspension.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:16 am

Richie87 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:20 pm Derry could make a bid for McEleney in July with Patching returning.
I can't see that, why would they do this v waiting to end of the season when he's free? Unlike Linfield they have no euro money to pay for transfers like this.

As for tomorrow nights game (what a shame it clashes with the Italy v Belgium match, exact same time too), I wonder is there anything in the battle in MF with Patching in fine form all season, and up for POTM again I see, v Towell who will be having his first competitive game? I'd be hoping our man will be the fresher.