Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk| League Series 19 | Friday 02 July 2021 ko 20.00

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk| League Series 19 | Friday 02 July 2021 ko 20.00

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:14 pm

Let’s not forget that 2 of our best players, Garts and Cleary, are out long term and Boyler is also clearly injured .

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:18 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:14 pm Let’s not forget that 2 of our best players, Garts and Cleary, are out long term and Boyler is also clearly injured .
Very true Hulk...
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

GSBellew
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by GSBellew » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:02 am

I thought most of the first half was entertaining to watch, I thought it could have been turned round & thought it'd end up being a high enough scoring but close game, later in the second half things seemed to fall apart, something just wasn't clicking, Gannon definitely a loss, knew that anyway.

Thought we were generally slower, Rovers were able to constantly close down, box us in and force the play to go backwards, catch the loose pass and then they could push forwards.

Too many over shot passes that just put the ball out of play, wasting what could have created chances.

More cohesive play seems to be required, could be a case of rebuilding the teamwork.

At this stage I'm just rambling.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:13 am

Perth made a number of errors last night which didn't help us. Starting with Leahy when Dummigan has shown he's more capable. Playing Patching on the wing instead of Fats. Fats has played there on a number of occasions under kenny with varied success. The substitutions were terrible and we got weaker after each change. Taking Stanton off was madness as his workrate is phenomenal. We had no hope once he went off.

The only positive is as poor as we were in second half we still look better under Perth than we have since he left. I'm no longer worried about the outside chance of relegation but making Europe will be a massive challenge and it may take a cup win
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:57 am

We lost 3-1 to Waterford after taking the lead and people were right to be angry. Not seeing anger now but disappointment because I think people see that this might be the limits of this squad. Whatever about the penalty, the lack of anything in the second half wasn’t not trying or not caring it was just we’re not good enough. It’s hard to see us catching any of the top 4 now unless one of them collapses.

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:10 am

The teams in top 4 or 5 have settled squads. Derry signed Jamie McGonigle during the week on a 3 year deal. A lot of this Dundalk team will be moving on at end of season, they might play out the rest of the season as they won't be getting relegated maybe go on a Cup run with a decent draw.
Some players look like they their minds are elsewhere.

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk | League Series 19 | Friday 02 July 2021 ko 20.00

Post by Dundalk Wolf » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:40 pm

As much as it hurts to lose to Rovers, I'm not too disheartened by last night. First half we were pretty decent and slight margins turn big games. On another day, we could easily have been 2-0 up through the stonewall pen or Mannus' great save from Hoban.

Rovers grew in confidence as the game went on but, with the run they're on, who knows how they'd have reacted if we'd gone two up, or how different the shape of the game might have been. We'd have been able to sit right in and frustrate them, playing on the counter with Duffy and later Kelly offering a threat there.

The FK that led to Gannon's goal was taken 4-5 yards closer to the box than where McEleney committed the foul. Clutching at straws a bit, but if it's taken from the right place, who knows what happens there too. Slight margins.

Once Rovers were in front they managed the game well and had good depth on the bench again after their recent run of injuries. Their two wings backs produced two big moments that turned the game. It can happen - doesn't mean we were terrible.

Sloggett's forced departure made a difference to our bite in midfield, as did Stanton's withdrawal. Moving forward, I'd like to see what Patching can do in the 10 role with Sloggett & Stanton behind him and then McEleney on the right (drifting in to get involved as he has before) or Kelly (if we need to stretch the game / play on the counter).

Despite the result, we look much better in the last 4 games than we did for the first 15 of the season. We were playing the best squad in the league last night, who were more back to the form you'd expect and we still could have won (or at least made life very hard for them) if we'd got that second.

So not overly disappointed. Only six points off fourth place, which is easily obtainable and may well be enough for Europe, if we don't retain the cup (which we may well). Top 3 not out of the question.

So on the pitch, still heading in the right direction at the moment. Off the pitch however...

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk | League Series 19 | Friday 02 July 2021 ko 20.00

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:15 pm

Dundalk Wolf wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:40 pm.

Sloggett's forced departure made a difference to our bite in midfield, as did Stanton's withdrawal. Moving forward, I'd like to see what Patching can do in the 10 role with Sloggett & Stanton behind him and then McEleney on the right (drifting in to get involved as he has before) or Kelly (if we need to stretch the game / play on the counter).

That's our best and most balanced midfield in my opinion and if we could get a run of games I think we could be solid. I still think we need work in defense and up top. Hoban looks lost at times and doesn't get the support he wants so something has to give.

I'm more positive than I was a few weeks ago but I'd be happier if we could offload four or five of the squad players and bring in some fresh blood
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:05 pm

I thought we were played off the park last night, especially in the second half.
Talk of qualifying for Europe is optimistic. For myself, I have reached the point where Premier Division survival will do me.
I am now thinking of next season and an almost entirely new squad.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:27 pm

We’re on a consistent run of 7 points out of 12 more or less since FG left. If we kept that up we’d finish on 52-56 points. That is unlikely to be good enough for top 4. We need to find another level of performance that even Vinny’s matches don’t really suggest is in us. People still talking about time. It’s the one thing we don’t have, and haven’t had.

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:48 am

Been eating away at me since Friday evening..... question has to be asked .......
If the foul for the penalty decision had have been in out box and Sonni the culprit, would Rovers have been given it??? Something inside me says yes ......
The standard of reffing in the LOI is a disgrace, slowly but surely it is time for this to be highlighted to UEFA. The FAI and its refs are also bound to common standards .... surely there has to be someone at UEFA that audits the reffing standards.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:53 pm

the away side also had claims for a spot-kick before Rovers levelled things up.
That's how much attention Dan MCD gave it in the indo.

Probably the biggest bell end in LOI journalism at the moment