Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Pepsi » Tue May 18, 2021 10:14 am

Alrightourfella wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:52 am Silgo Rvs have plans for a new 17million stadium and the best of luck to them, the last Dundalk owners may have been a success but blew millions and sold ther beloved Dundalk FC for profit and the current owners have millions but won't redevelop everyone will have a different opinion but imo we should of moved to a new ground but that will never happen its a crying shame and sad sad times ahead.
You should not forget, Sligo Council are involved in this also, so it is not just the club doing it alone. Sligo CC have over the years supported their local club, be that directly or indirectly. LCC on the other hand nearly bankrupted the club with their levies and fees on the YDC and over the years have next to ignored DFCs success ...... amazing however what can be done if a local council gets behind their club.
Again I will say it ...... Peak6 are not the first wealthy people to be involved with Dundalk FC, just because they are a hedge fund managing billions of other peoples money does not mean they are here to throw money at something which will never be realisitically paid for based on the business side of the club. Why didnt previous owners over the years put their private money in, match it with grants and do up the ground??? Gerry Matthews did it, however 90% of the fans like to forget that he left hundreds of thousands in debt behind (paid for by our first Euro adventure) and had the benifit that he could write off materials, employment costs etc. as owned a construction company. Basically if you did the calculation he would probably have come out pretty good from what he did, grants alone would have covered the majority of his costs, he would have had to pay the lads working regardless of if they were in Oriel or sitting at home waiting for the next project.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:25 am

Surely it’s time for Dundalk to do something similar . Logistically Dundalk is a prime area , sitting halfway between Dublin & Belfast .

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue May 18, 2021 12:03 pm

Firstly sligo i believe are going in with a joint venture with the rugby? Secondly the county council will help them with this venture, Dundalk town, and Louth CoCo won't help us organise a civic reception let alone invest in a redevelopment of oriel park.

But the most important aspect is that Sligo are a well run and well supported club a community club run and managed the correct way.

Sligo is a better football town than us imho. Dundalk is a great football town for the epl and spl and if dundalk are going well we might get a few hangers on but for the most part the town is full of begrudgers and barstoolers. sligo people constantly raise money for the club.

We had the best run of our history the past 8 seasons and we were lucky to break 3k fans most games. The team we had, the run we went on, the success we had, the european nights should have seen 4-5k in oriel every week but we struggled to attract fans. Off the field didn't work on this and never progressed or drove the club forward in that respect. If you, I or anyone is asked for €20 a week or whatever to help the club we would say yeah right!! . This is why I believe this fan driven protest supporters club call it what you like, is doomed to failure before it begins. We will get maybe 100 fans who will buy into it, especially in the beginning, but ultimately the will to keep driving it forward will dwindle. Btw the current budget is rumoured to be €70k per week. So unless we plan to play a local junior based aide in the first division, then this idea is dead in the water. People are complaining about price of season tickets.. I never complain about that as i do think it is very good value for money to be fair but still people complain. The people of sligo. Not 1 asked for a season ticket refund but then again that was handled correctly by the people running the club.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:02 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:03 pm Firstly sligo i believe are going in with a joint venture with the rugby? Secondly the county council will help them with this venture, Dundalk town, and Louth CoCo won't help us organise a civic reception let alone invest in a redevelopment of oriel park.

But the most important aspect is that Sligo are a well run and well supported club a community club run and managed the correct way.

Sligo is a better football town than us imho. Dundalk is a great football town for the epl and spl and if dundalk are going well we might get a few hangers on but for the most part the town is full of begrudgers and barstoolers. sligo people constantly raise money for the club.

We had the best run of our history the past 8 seasons and we were lucky to break 3k fans most games. The team we had, the run we went on, the success we had, the european nights should have seen 4-5k in oriel every week but we struggled to attract fans. Off the field didn't work on this and never progressed or drove the club forward in that respect. If you, I or anyone is asked for €20 a week or whatever to help the club we would say yeah right!! . This is why I believe this fan driven protest supporters club call it what you like, is doomed to failure before it begins. We will get maybe 100 fans who will buy into it, especially in the beginning, but ultimately the will to keep driving it forward will dwindle. Btw the current budget is rumoured to be €70k per week. So unless we plan to play a local junior based aide in the first division, then this idea is dead in the water. People are complaining about price of season tickets.. I never complain about that as i do think it is very good value for money to be fair but still people complain. The people of sligo. Not 1 asked for a season ticket refund but then again that was handled correctly by the people running the club.
Spot on Niall.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:50 pm

Sligo also bring through a lot of local players which has more of a connection to the people of Sligo. John Mahon, Niall Morohan, Johnny Kenny of the current first team came through the ranks.
Previous players like Raf Cretaro would be legends at Sligo.

They also have the connection with Everton through Seamus Coleman https://www.evertonfc.com/news/1971159/ ... artnership

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:28 pm

Oriel Park has always been home for Dundalk & the whole world knows it has to upgraded to a new ground & Euro standards . The Owners , The County Council , The FAI. or Local Buisness have not got any interest in doing anything ,
Drogheada are in the same boat , so maybe a new stadium for both clubs , say in Dunleer could be a runner. We could get the Blueprint of Sligo Rovers , the aforementioned can come together & make a plan for the future . Now there is a project for Jim Magilton , it has to be done , now.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:54 pm

Johnny oriel hasn't always been the home of dundalk. And no way should wr or drogheda move to Dunleer. I'd rather play in the dump that is oriel than play in a brand new shared stadium in Dunleer.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:56 pm

Was it the “ Athletic Grounds” , before Oriel , Niall.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Wed May 19, 2021 8:58 am

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:56 pm Was it the “ Athletic Grounds” , before Oriel , Niall.
I actually never knew that. Learn something new every day. Where was the Athletic grounds? The marshes?

Quick google says they also play in Carroll's Recreation Ground if the Athletic grounds were unavailable. Where in town was that?

Alrightourfella
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Alrightourfella » Wed May 19, 2021 10:44 am

Athletic grounds were on the Ramparts and Carrolls pitch was at the back of PJ Carrolls behind were Carroll Village Apartments /Cinema are now on the land were the closed shopping centre is ...

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Wed May 19, 2021 11:37 am

Alrightourfella wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:44 am Athletic grounds were on the Ramparts and Carrolls pitch was at the back of PJ Carrolls behind were Carroll Village Apartments /Cinema are now on the land were the closed shopping centre is ...
And I think at least one game was played in the Marist grounds.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Alrightourfella
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Alrightourfella » Wed May 19, 2021 12:28 pm

Could well have been WW, its a pity we can't move within the boundaries of Dundalk out by the racecourse would of been the ideal location for a new fresh start but am afraid that will never happen in my life time.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Wed May 19, 2021 7:29 pm

A new Dalymount on Nationwide - Bohs & Shels . Looks fantastic .

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Wed May 19, 2021 8:30 pm

Would it not be an idea to protest infront of the council offices to put pressure on local councilors, TDs and Senators also have offices, pressure them to get behind the club and support Oriel upgrades?? Would make alot more sense than protesting on the Carrick Road about a man sitting in the sun in Florida.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Wed May 19, 2021 9:42 pm

Have the club ever gone to the council with plans to upgrade the ground and asked for the councils help?