Ground Standards

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ground Standards

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:19 pm

I'd think it would be appropriate for the home end stand to be named after a fan with no better option than Marty Shields. Missed one game home or away in 45 years.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Peak11 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:10 pm McLaughlin Stand
O'Connor Stand
Kenny Stand
Railway Stand

Corporate Lounges: Bob Prole Suite, Enda McGuill Suite, Jim Malone Suite, Peadar Halpin Suite

Bars: McConville's and Lawlor's

If it was me that won the money, I'd also buy the Queens Hotel, get it fixed properly and turn it into a club shop and museum dedicated to Jim Murphy.
Derryhale
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:49 pm

Peak11 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:38 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:34 pm
O'Connor Stand
Kenny Stand
Railway Stand

Corporate Lounges: Bob Prole Suite, Enda McGuill Suite, Jim Malone Suite, Peadar Halpin Suite

If it was me that won the money, I'd also buy the Queens Hotel, get it fixed properly and turn it into a club shop and museum dedicated to Jim Murphy.
Derryhale
That too - offices, gyms, catering, medical centre, press centre
Even a club bar or catering. Could even be used for corporate events.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:29 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:49 pm
Peak11 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:38 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Derryhale
That too - offices, gyms, catering, medical centre, press centre
Even a club bar or catering.
Would be very lucrative on European nights when Oriel needs to close

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:20 pm

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... ssion=true

€4M allocated to Finn Harps for stadium development. €4 would go a long long way into closing off Oriel with a stand each end or a good foundation to the start of a Greenfield site 😏

Very interesting quote by Jack chambers “I’m very aware of the need to see real investment in the League of Ireland and the Government will play its part in this regard"

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:52 pm

Enough of the April Fools stuff.

Seems to be a lot of rumours doing the rounds, and this is not 01/04.

Ground maintenance at a skeleton, pitch not being watered, hiney park not being maintained, even though not owed by club, they were cutting the grass, seems access or even having a damn tractor is now gone, hence I can only work out why they are using Quay Celtic. So what happens if Quay need the pitch back, where do we train for away games apart from Derry (or Athlone) ? Would appear Hiney Park will not be available again.

Not having access to a tractor means only minor maintenance on the pitch, yet they can sign players from all over the world? This is absolute madness if true.

Of lesser concern, I heard the LED scoreboard was taken back by First Produce as they sponsored it, they are linked with Fyffes, so they are gone.

Still question marks on the mgt team ability and set up, this doesn't sound good, even if we get a result tomorrow, where does this leave us in terms of even the immediate set up and having a ground fit for 'Elite' sport?

One thing for sure, we can finally stop talking about any spectator improvements.

What I don;t get is this, P6 must know, poor facilities for training, and games risks poor results, players leaving, no europe = no money.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:55 pm

O'Connor Stand
Kenny Stand
Railway Stand

Happy April Fools etc, but if this was serious, one big name missing, Barry Kehoe.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:58 pm

mike wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:52 pm Enough of the April Fools stuff.

Seems to be a lot of rumours doing the rounds, and this is not 01/04.

Ground maintenance at a skeleton, pitch not being watered, hiney park not being maintained, even though not owed by club, they were cutting the grass, seems access or even having a damn tractor is now gone, hence I can only work out why they are using Quay Celtic. So what happens if Quay need the pitch back, where do we train for away games apart from Derry (or Athlone) ? Would appear Hiney Park will not be available again.

Not having access to a tractor means only minor maintenance on the pitch, yet they can sign players from all over the world? This is absolute madness if true.

Of lesser concern, I heard the LED scoreboard was taken back by First Produce as they sponsored it, they are linked with Fyffes, so they are gone.

Still question marks on the mgt team ability and set up, this doesn't sound good, even if we get a result tomorrow, where does this leave us in terms of even the immediate set up and having a ground fit for 'Elite' sport?

One thing for sure, we can finally stop talking about any spectator improvements.

What I don;t get is this, P6 must know, poor facilities for training, and games risks poor results, players leaving, no europe = no money.
It's not an April fools

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/667 ... s-stadium/#

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:22 pm

I was on about the April fools on the DFC fan winning the lotto.

Of more concern, has anyone else hear of the poor maintenance of main pitch and the what looks like week to week arrangement with Quay (hopefully I'm wrong on that part), for away games training?

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:01 pm

mike wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:22 pm I was on about the April fools on the DFC fan winning the lotto.

Of more concern, has anyone else hear of the poor maintenance of main pitch and the what looks like week to week arrangement with Quay (hopefully I'm wrong on that part), for away games training?
Could it be a case that the Grammar School have terminated the agreement for use of the pitches behind Oriel.....getting ready to build on them maybe?? Will certainly be interesting to see what the club do, because Oriel is not big enough for first team and academy training facilities.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:01 pm

Heard that the grammar might be building something there alright.

I'd have no problems with the arrangement with Quay Celtic, it looks a carpet and good to have a relationship with a local club, I just hope there is at least a season agreement.

Will be very interested to see the condition of oriel pitch for the Pats game on the 17th.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:10 am

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:13 pm

I agree with you about the Aviva, it's an awful stadium. It pains me to say it, but Tallaght is the perfect stadium for LOI standards. Big enough for the average LOI crowd and a decent view from anywhere in the ground. (I haven't been in the stand behind the goals so I cant comment on that view)

If I was to win the Euro millions, i would bulldoze Oriel and build an equivalent of Tallaght. Stick the Sing Li van in somewhere, have Mickey Duffy on the PA, and with the smell of Colombian Gold in the air, it would still feel like the old Oriel!!!

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:36 pm

colymull wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:13 pm If I was to win the Euro millions, i would bulldoze Oriel and build an equivalent of Tallaght. Stick the Sing Li van in somewhere, have Mickey Duffy on the PA, and with the smell of Colombian Gold in the air, it would still feel like the old Oriel!!!
Air fresheners in the new shiny jacks that spray out a smell of piss to give that authentic Oriel toilets aroma

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:40 pm

Peak11 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:28 pm
It's a good point about sterile modern stadiums. I haven't been to that many but for example the Aviva is a pretty horrible stadium to actually watch a game. But Dalymount aside, it's not really a binary choice between millions or tens of millions on steel, glass, offices, meeting rooms, corporate boxes and whatever, and doing nothing at all.

There's no good reason why smart design, grants, fund raising and a little bit of effort on the part of certain people couldn't keep Oriel 'Oriel', and still turn it into a tidy little ground that's a perfectly decent, attractive place to visit and watch a game of ball in comfort with your family and friends. Not perfect, but it doesn't have to be.

There are lots of stupid reasons for pretending nothing can be done, most of which have been bashed out here at length by certain people whose motivations are a mystery. The sort of people who would have insisted everyone had to keep shitting in buckets in the back yard 80 years ago when people dared aspire to indoor plumbing.
It would be a monumental challenge to get Oriel up to a level we could play group European matches at. The best I think we could hope for would be a Turners cross standard stadium unless there is some serious outside the box thinking and spending a lot more than we would in a Greenfield site.

It depends what we aspire to but either would have us in a far better position than we are now