Longford Town v Dundalk | League Series 9 | Monday 03 May 2021 ko 17.45

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Longford Town v Dundalk | League Series 9 | Monday 03 May 2021 ko 17.45

Post by Pepsi » Mon May 03, 2021 8:00 pm

Towelie wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:58 pm Point of interest: Both Vinny Perth and Gary Rogers were at the the match today.
Could we get Garry to come out of retirement??

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Mon May 03, 2021 8:04 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:51 pm
dundalkfc1903 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:39 pm Poor second half but with a normal goalkeeper we walk away with a comfortable 3 points
That's the thing. Even if we have an off day a solid keeper would have got us over the line there. Had we signed Brian Murphy at the start of the season as bad as we've been I think we would have had a great chance of winning the league. The league is Rubbish this year and Rovers are a shadow of the team of last year and we have gift wrapped another title for them
Most of our days have been off days. We are going to need one hell of a keeper to have a half decent season.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Mon May 03, 2021 8:05 pm

Pepsi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:00 pm
Towelie wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:58 pm Point of interest: Both Vinny Perth and Gary Rogers were at the the match today.
Could we get Garry to come out of retirement??
He has said a couple of times that he doesn't miss the football and he retired at the right time. It would be worth our while answering the question anyway as we can't afford to drop many more points if we want to qualify for Europe
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Mon May 03, 2021 8:09 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:58 pm
magarnagle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:48 pm
dundalkfc1903 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:39 pm Poor second half but with a normal goalkeeper we walk away with a comfortable 3 points
So our only issue is that we have no goalkeeper?

The mistakes by Cherrie were awful and he should be rightly criticised but our problems run a lot deeper than that.

That was an awful performance and some of those players are very lucky there are no fans at games. Boyle, Jurkovskis, McEleney, Murray to name a few were dreadful, made schoolboy mistakes and looked disinterested.

Bill and FG cannot be blamed for that performance. I'm very worried about where this team is going, I don't see much improvement at all.

We'll be well beaten on Friday playing like that and I don't think many of the players will care
As awful as we were, as poor as the players you've mentioned played we STILL would have won tonight with a proper keeper. Had we a proper manager in place we would have had a proper keeper. QED

That's not absolving some of the players performances. Sloggett, Murray and Junior aren't good enough and I don't remember any having an 8/10 game for us. Shields, Jurkovskis and Boyle had off days tonight but are usually solid.
I don't disagree, the keeper situation is dreadful. Surely we have a 19s keeper, he can't be any worse...

My point is it is easy to focus on the two mistakes and and say we would have won without them, which we can never know. But looking past those mistakes the performance was dreadful and very worrying

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 pm

magarnagle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:57 pm
dundalkfc1903 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:50 pm
magarnagle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:48 pm

So our only issue is that we have no goalkeeper?

Did I say that?
Pretty much. You said with a decent keeper we would have a comfortable win. He cost us two goals for sure but saved us one as well. If you are taking aim for the mistakes you have to acknowledge that he saved us from conceding a third.

None of what I just watched looked comfortable. Mistakes and disinterest all throughout.
If thats what you took from what I said , then so be it. We all make up wee stories in our heads i guess.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Mon May 03, 2021 8:34 pm

Pepsi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:54 pm
Richie87 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:47 pm
Longford had a few chances , not just the 2 soft goals. Cherrie made a great at the start of the second half. They deserved something from the game.

Dundalk with all the resources are really under performing. They need a good appointment as the manager.
We need a manager with a size 12+ steel capped boot to give a few players a good kick up the hole, someone who will be given time to rebuild in key positions. The question is how long will Peak6 look on ........ players need to realise if they dont start performing, they will be getting no new big contracts next season, Rovers cant sign everyone and they will not be going to England to earn money, most have and failed.
Yes Longford are limited but plenty of passion in their players. It's ok having ability,but you have to battle also.

Dundalk are trying to gel a team with players from many countries, and looking to bring in a new manager.
Shamrock Rovers Squad is all Irish I think? They all know the League. That's not to say there is anything wrong with signing outside players, but Towell arriving in July might hit the ground the running, as he has played in the League before.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Mon May 03, 2021 8:47 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 pm
magarnagle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:57 pm
dundalkfc1903 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:50 pm

Did I say that?
Pretty much. You said with a decent keeper we would have a comfortable win. He cost us two goals for sure but saved us one as well. If you are taking aim for the mistakes you have to acknowledge that he saved us from conceding a third.

None of what I just watched looked comfortable. Mistakes and disinterest all throughout.
If thats what you took from what I said , then so be it. We all make up wee stories in our heads i guess.
Good man, don't try and discuss it, just throw an insult in there.

Maybe you don't think that our only problem is with our keepers but that's what you said. We would win comfortably if we had a decent keeper. Maybe you have a different meaning for comfortable?

Martin Lawlor80
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Mon May 03, 2021 8:58 pm

Lads that was shocking.
Shields, Slogget and Boyle giving the ball
Away when they’re not even under pressure ffs. That was as bad as the games after lock down last summer .
Oh and one more thing , Zahibo is a baring down on the box and is taken out from behind and the ref waves play on?? What was that about?

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Mon May 03, 2021 9:02 pm

Richie87 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:34 pm
Pepsi wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:54 pm
Richie87 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Longford had a few chances , not just the 2 soft goals. Cherrie made a great at the start of the second half. They deserved something from the game.

Dundalk with all the resources are really under performing. They need a good appointment as the manager.
We need a manager with a size 12+ steel capped boot to give a few players a good kick up the hole, someone who will be given time to rebuild in key positions. The question is how long will Peak6 look on ........ players need to realise if they dont start performing, they will be getting no new big contracts next season, Rovers cant sign everyone and they will not be going to England to earn money, most have and failed.
Yes Longford are limited but plenty of passion in their players. It's ok having ability,but you have to battle also.

Dundalk are trying to gel a team with players from many countries, and looking to bring in a new manager.
Shamrock Rovers Squad is all Irish I think? They all know the League. That's not to say there is anything wrong with signing outside players, but Towell arriving in July might hit the ground the running, as he has played in the League before.
Those so called professional players should be able to perform at LOI level, there is enough quality in that squad to be in a position better than what we are. Our set pieces need serious improvement, players need to start performing consistantly and some players need a reality check. Players looking for excuses, first it was FG, then Abibi ....what next??? Time to end the excuses and to start looking in the mirror.
The scum from Tallaght dont come into this, nor does the spice boy, simple fact is our players have to man up and perform, if you sign for a club in a strange country the first thing you do is start looking at matches on youtube, researching about the league etc. Would you start a new job without knowing about the company products, its customers or where it is located??

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Mon May 03, 2021 9:07 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:58 pm Lads that was shocking.
Shields, Slogget and Boyle giving the ball
Away when they’re not even under pressure ffs. That was as bad as the games after lock down last summer .
Oh and one more thing , Zahibo is a baring down on the box and is taken out from behind and the ref waves play on?? What was that about?
That is LOI level refereeing. The whole situation is a reflection of what the FAI have implimented. Shit standards from top to bottom ......
Imagine a club having more money in the bank than the FAI .... the organisation who is supposed to manage and run the LOI. Its like going to a bankrupt money lender to get money to buy a car when you have the money in the credit union.

Richie87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Richie87 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:13 pm

Might be no harm to get Perth back as manager. He's a firey character, but maybe what's needed.

Either way, they need to get the managerial appointment sorted soon If they are waiting for Healy to finish the lrish League season season then that's risky. There has been very little improvement under Magilton, for him to manage until the end of the season.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Mon May 03, 2021 9:25 pm

Richie87 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:13 pm Might be no harm to get Perth back as manager. He's a firey character, but maybe what's needed.

Either way, they need to get the managerial appointment sorted soon If they are waiting for Healy to finish the lrish League season season then that's risky. There has been very little improvement under Magilton, for him to manage until the end of the season.
Agree it needs to be sorted ASAP. Leaving Magilton there is not the way to go. He has a different job to do and being hands on with the players may affect relationships and hamper contract negotiations etc.

For example he likely got stuck into them after the game, that can have a knock on affect. Alternatively if he isn't giving them a bollicking because he wants to maintain good relationships then they won't improve. They need a strong character that they know is there for the long term

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Mon May 03, 2021 9:55 pm

Senior players have been awful this year. Cleary and Boyle have been the worst center half partnership in a decade. To me, it seems Boyle has no drive since he came back, and Cleary gives up a ridiculous amount of chances a game. He has seriously went backways. A Boyle/ Sonni partnership is really our only hope there.

Slogget has never been a good player. Mid-table talent. Works awful with Shields. Shields has been a fantastic servent, but has always worked best in a role with other good center mids around him. He is being asked to do too much. The amount of ball giving away was criminal today

In hindsight, Abibi shouldnt have been dropped so quickly. They should have tried to stick it out with him , and only then should Cherrie been brought in. Not saying Abibi is good, but everyone knows Cherrie is a limited Keeper on the decline. The choice should have been to see it through with Abibi. But now we have two keepers who must be low on confidence, and we have a competition between two to see who is not the worst.

The season really has been a disaster from the get go. Mangement committee , ownership etc..... But my God, injuries have crippled us. The amount of Players that have been injured, or half fit or totally non-fit is cruel. Han looked promising = injured... Sonni comes in = injured... Murray not fit, Fats not fit,... No strikers, no Garts or Sonni. Either its totally bad luck or something is going wrong in the background. With the running of the club I would believe its the latter. Plus, Our players havent looked dynamic in a long time, always looking top heavy (thats been the case since the end of Kenny I think).
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 am

It's no coincidence that players are getting injured. The running of the club has been a shambles. We are am amateur outfit but with a professional price tag.

Magilton is now not able to do the job he was hired to do, as he is filling in as manager. We are just going to stumble through the season.

Alrightourfella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alrightourfella » Tue May 04, 2021 11:27 am

Its going to be a long long road the players that bill signed are just not good enough it is what it is, Magilton needs to get a manager in place asap no need for this to be dragging on and on but whoever takes over has ther work cut out difficult job...