Dundalk v Shelbourne | League Round 12 | Fri 22 April 2022 ko 19.45

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Shelbourne | League Round 12 | Fri 22 April 2022 ko 19.45

Post by White Horse » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:58 pm

I thought Doyle was dropping into lovely pockets of space, getting control of the ball but no one was showing for him to pass to. Hoban was tightly marked, so the onus was on Kelly and Adams to show for the ball, and they rarely did.
Kelly and Adams need to do a lot more, they need to be braver. People were getting frustrated with Doyle going backwards, but what were his options if players don’t show for the ball?

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:35 pm

Anybody know the story on suspensions? I presume Bradley will be out for 3 games. Martin can play right wing. Apparently Connolly is now on 5 yellows. Will he be suspended for the drogs game? How many games does Gartland get for being sent off for 2 yellows?

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:59 pm

https://twitter.com/dundalkfc/status/15 ... 64AF9zQN7g

Highlights

First was a penalty. Kelly pushes him in the back. 2nd wasn’t next or near one.
How the ref doesn’t blow for the 3 or 4 fouls on Bradley is shocking. He’s standing watching it .
Shels are some crowd of divers and hackers

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:10 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:35 pm Anybody know the story on suspensions? I presume Bradley will be out for 3 games. Martin can play right wing. Apparently Connolly is now on 5 yellows. Will he be suspended for the drogs game? How many games does Gartland get for being sent off for 2 yellows?
Bradley - Straight red for foul play is a minimum 3 games, depending on the referee's report. There weren't really any mitigating circumstances so I expect he will miss Drogheda(H), UCD(A) and Bohemians(H). Hopefully not more.

Connolly - Referee's match report will be reviewed at Disciplinary meeting next week, suspensions should be confirmed as effective week beginning Monday 2nd May. I make it UCD(A).

Gartland - Red via 2 yellows is automatically next game, so that suspension was served last night.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:10 pm

oldfogey wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:10 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:35 pm Anybody know the story on suspensions? I presume Bradley will be out for 3 games. Martin can play right wing. Apparently Connolly is now on 5 yellows. Will he be suspended for the drogs game? How many games does Gartland get for being sent off for 2 yellows?
Bradley - Straight red for foul play is a minimum 3 games, depending on the referee's report. There weren't really any mitigating circumstances so I expect he will miss Drogheda(H), UCD(A) and Bohemians(H). Hopefully not more.

Connolly - Referee's match report will be reviewed at Disciplinary meeting next week, suspensions should be confirmed as effective week beginning Monday 2nd May. I make it UCD(A).

Gartland - Red via 2 yellows is automatically next game, so that suspension was served last night.
Thanks OF. Great if Garts is available to take Connolly’s spot

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:28 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:46 am The passing is either sideways or backwards. Yes I get it, it is better to be in possession than to not be in possession, but surely it is better to drive forward than get into the shels half, only to go back into our own half with the next pass. What we are really lacking is a Michael Duffy type. Someone who will drive down the wing and create.. when we did it with wardy we scored the winner. What a cross , what a header.
I don't think there is any problems with passing sideways or backwards but it needs to be combined with some more aggressive play. It was all too slow last night. If we are to break teams down that are sitting deep like Shels were, we need to move the ball quickly and our movement off the ball needs to be much better.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

0rl
Reserves
Reserves

Post by 0rl » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:23 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:59 pm https://twitter.com/dundalkfc/status/15 ... 64AF9zQN7g

Highlights

How the ref doesn’t blow for the 3 or 4 fouls on Bradley is shocking. He’s standing watching it .
Just had a look there and my observations (hard to make a judgement last night but was keen to see them back again)

Shels can have no argument about the 2 yellows for the red. Duff is totally wrong in his views of both cards. (1st not shown in the clip but it was a chop down as Dundalk raced clear.. 2nd card at 1.21 in clip)

First Shels penalty incident.... It is a foul but actually occurs outside the box (3:23 into the clip). Hard to freezeframe but coming together outside the box and Kelly takes his legs just before the box and then comes through his back

Dundalk Red. Yep Bradley was been constantly fouled as he went across the pitch (ref wasnt even playing advantage). Dont think he'll be able to use it as a "mitigation" though :-) Tug on jersey 3:28 and ref is staring straight at it with noone in between them so he cant say he didnt see it. The ref follows the players across the pitch and Farrell even has a kick at Bradley at one stage but i dont think he connected. 3:35 Bradley catches Shels player with studs as he rolls back around from been taken down and gives a kick so he cant argue with the decision but it shouldnt have gotten to that stage.

Shels Penalty 5:07 cant see it. Shels guys come in from the back across Kelly but the ref is looking at Kelly from the rear and it looks like Kellys hands go up onto the player and then he's rolling around the ground so that the only way I can see why the ref gave it. But from the camera angle it doesnt look like Kelly tripped him. It looks like Wilson kicks Kellys foot and goes over.

Overall, vv poor first half. 2nd half was entertaining at least. Dundalk goals taken very well (eventually) Kelly really should be taken on more creative work/runs. He does have it in him but rarely comes out anymore.

Ref had a bad game for both sides it must be said.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:31 pm

0rl wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:23 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:59 pm https://twitter.com/dundalkfc/status/15 ... 64AF9zQN7g

Highlights

Just had a look there and my observations (hard to make a judgement last night but was keen to see them back again)

Shels can have no argument about the 2 yellows for the red. Duff is totally wrong in his views of both cards. (1st not shown in the clip but it was a chop down as Dundalk raced clear.. 2nd card at 1.21 in clip)

First Shels penalty incident.... It is a foul but actually occurs outside the box (3:23 into the clip). Hard to freezeframe but coming together outside the box and Kelly takes his legs just before the box and then comes through his back

Dundalk Red. Yep Bradley was been constantly fouled as he went across the pitch (ref wasnt even playing advantage). Dont think he'll be able to use it as a "mitigation" though :-) Tug on jersey 3:28 and ref is staring straight at it with noone in between them so he cant say he didnt see it. The ref follows the players across the pitch and Farrell even has a kick at Bradley at one stage but i dont think he connected. 3:35 Bradley catches Shels player with studs as he rolls back around from been taken down and gives a kick so he cant argue with the decision but it shouldnt have gotten to that stage.

Shels Penalty 5:07 cant see it. Shels guys come in from the back across Kelly but the ref is looking at Kelly from the rear and it looks like Kellys hands go up onto the player and then he's rolling around the ground so that the only way I can see why the ref gave it. But from the camera angle it doesnt look like Kelly tripped him. It looks like Wilson kicks Kellys foot and goes over.

Overall, vv poor first half. 2nd half was entertaining at least. Dundalk goals taken very well (eventually) Kelly really should be taken on more creative work/runs. He does have it in him but rarely comes out anymore.

Ref had a bad game for both sides it must be said.
Hard to argue with any of that , a good summary.

Duff coming in for a lot of criticism in the media and he has a big mouth, but maybe the league needs a ‘big name’ to call out the atrocious refereeing standards in this league

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:01 pm

What's the alternative to improve the referring standard? Bring in Var? That's not going to happen with no funds.

It's alright for Duff to be the big time Charlie, but they aren't professional referees like in England

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:47 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:31 pm
Hard to argue with any of that , a good summary.

Duff coming in for a lot of criticism in the media and he has a big mouth, but maybe the league needs a ‘big name’ to call out the atrocious refereeing standards in this league
He really seems to have a temper that is difficult to control. Long after the game was over he walked down the tunnel banging on the sides. I looked up as he walked past and he had a face like a Tasmanian Devil. After his interview with Shels TV was over, what I assume was his Chairman came down from the stand and did a bit of "arm around the shoulder/head rub"and was obviously trying to calm him down. Seems awful early in the season to be trying to manage his commitment issues.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:59 am

It's good that Duff is getting involved in the LOI. He could have taken the easy option of punditry.
He has an annoying D4 accent, best in the werld

He'll lively be involved in a few more flares up as he's hot headed. Though Stevie O Donnell no saint either

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:48 pm

I was lucky enough to miss the first half so probably got a slightly different impression from most. Second half was entertaining and we got the result we deserved. I know Shels were set up at half time to play 10 v 11 but most of the half was 10 a side and they just sat back. Our movement needs to be better, some of the passing could be better but we retained possession and got the reward for that patience. Its not easy to play through a blanket defence. Doyle in particular got lots of abuse for passing back or sideways- or retaining possession as it's also known. He was instrumental in getting us the win, including a great cross for the first

I don't often comment on refs cos they are genuinely doing their best in an impossible job, but this was a shocker. And both sides suffered. Duff is a moany fukker , surprised he's not been red carded before. I understand his frustration with the standard of the league, his players and the refs but he's got to suck it up and get on with it . He's instilled some professionalism at Shels anyway.... the time wasting, simulation and targeting of Bradley all very impressive dark arts. Try teaching them a bit of football too maybe

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:34 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:10 pm

Is it not 2 auto games for a straight red, then only 3 if committee deems it violent?

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:21 am

mike wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:34 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:10 pm

Is it not 2 auto games for a straight red, then only 3 if committee deems it violent?
RULE 3. MISCONDUCT BY PLAYERS

1. Including the automatic suspension incurred, the overall suspension imposed on any Player receiving a red card shall be for:

a) at least one (1) match for denying the opposing team a clear goal-scoring opportunity
(particularly by deliberately handling the ball);
b) at least one (1) match for unsporting conduct;
c) at least two (2) matches for serious foul play (particularly in the case of the use of excessive or brute force);
d) at least three (3) matches for assaulting (deliberately pushing, pulling, striking, butting, elbowing, punching, kicking etc. Touching is not an assault) an opponent or a person other than a Match Official;
e) at least six (6) matches for assaulting by spitting at an opponent or a person other than a Match Official;