2022 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals v2

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Towelie
Reserves
Reserves

Re: 2022 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals v2

Post by Towelie » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:01 pm

Contract at Stoke is up in the summer, so hence the 6-month deal. Hopefully he does well, not going to begin judging these players until I see them in the flesh, hopefully Friday. We all learned that lesson the hard way last year. He's signed as a right back, so I think that's us done and dusted until the summer.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:24 pm

Is the league of Ireland turning into a de facto youth league? It was already one the youngest in Europe, now an influx of young players from the UK on loan. Wont help the product..I want to pay to watch a mens league.

Shamrock Rovers are going to absolutely steam-roll a lot of teams this year.

southerncomfort
Reserves
Reserves

Post by southerncomfort » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:58 am

nice to see martin back officially

still need to understand who the buck stops with recruitment wise , who gets the credit and criticism ...can't just be sod on the line

Alrightourfella
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Alrightourfella » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:55 pm

Buck stops with SOD on signings end of story he is a no nonsense man and ther is no chance he will undermined by anyone up stairs because that's not how the lads work they will give SOD all the tools he needs to become successful, Rovers will win the league imo, we have a young squad and loan players simply because we don't have the budget to compete with the big boys at the top for this season at least.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:40 pm

LOI Clubs to examine the list of free agents in Russia and Ukraine https://t.co/6ESvBYAVq0

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Mon May 09, 2022 3:17 pm

Now it's very possible that I've missed this but I can find no reference from the club to Lewis Macari returning to Stoke. The only thing I've seen is where someone on here posted a link to a Stoke comment, and I'm not even sure it was official. He certainly didn't look like he was playing his last game for the club when leaving the pitch on Friday night.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:14 pm

James Rogers saying that Connolly is being offered around the Irish League when his loan deal finishes in the Summer. For me, he’s been our best signing so o hope we can offer him a good deal

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Wed May 11, 2022 8:38 pm

That's possibly the most bizarre call by the club since that pretend keeper Abbi was signed if we don't offer him a new deal, Connolly has been rock solid.

Massive step backwards if this is true.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:47 pm

mike wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:38 pm That's possibly the most bizarre call by the club since that pretend keeper Abbi was signed if we don't offer him a new deal, Connolly has been rock solid.

Think JR was more saying that Connolly’s agent is probably behind trying to get the best deal. Will be a real test for the new owners though. Have they the money to match the likes of a 3 yr deal from Linfield or Glentoran? If we’re looking to challenge for 3rd , we can’t be letting the likes of Connolly leave

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Wed May 11, 2022 9:33 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:47 pm
mike wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:38 pm That's possibly the most bizarre call by the club since that pretend keeper Abbi was signed if we don't offer him a new deal, Connolly has been rock solid.

Think JR was more saying that Connolly’s agent is probably behind trying to get the best deal. Will be a real test for the new owners though. Have they the money to match the likes of a 3 yr deal from Linfield or Glentoran? If we’re looking to challenge for 3rd , we can’t be letting the likes of Connolly leave
Therein lies the problem "the best deal for Connolly's agent". Probably even has a clause that if Connolly declines a higher offer, the agent still gets paid his percentage based on the higher offer. I have yet to see a situation where an agent has done right by either a club or a player.

Absolute scum of the earth.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Wed May 11, 2022 9:40 pm

Yes I have since heard from elsewhere its probably over a long term deal and €€€ that we can't offer.

Where is all this money coming from in the IL all of a sudden?? Then again as I much as I would hate him to leave, nothing is more important than the stabilising of the club, and we were all told straight when SS / AC took over, it would be modest to mid wages until we do get things sorted and that could take us into next season.

Football wise though its a step back for him, its really not a good standard up north then again if you are looking after yourself, short term deal at DFC v long term at one of the Belfast clubs, young family etc. Pity still if he leaves.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:08 pm

A few of the Northern clubs are well backed. Glentoran have the Ali Pour fella who is bumping in a lot of money. They have plans for the new stadium, and offering big wages to players like Sean Murray, paying big transfer fees, £100,000 for Shay McCartan.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Mon May 16, 2022 9:13 pm

Keeping Macari and Connolly is paramount for us. Im sure Skip is doing his work behind the scenes, but I am a wee bit nervous of losing both of them. If we are to build on his first season, we have to keep the players that shined.

Anybody hear any rumours going? On my personal wishlist, think Dawson Devoy and Liam Burt would do a job for us, and shine a lot better than with Bohs. Ben McCormack too is a hell of a talent, and doesn't seem to get on with Clancy at St. Pats. Obviously, these won't go mid-season... but if they could...
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

Towelie
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Towelie » Mon May 16, 2022 9:51 pm

I'd take Burt in a heartbeat, Devoy was very close to a move to MK Dons in the off season so his next move will definitely be england or scotland. Daryl Horgan would be top of my wishlist, out of contract and didn't have a great year at Wycombe but was beginning to find form again recently.

Money would be the only obstacle and not sure if we could afford his wage.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:31 pm

A couple of Irish players at Celtic are free agents in the summer. Luca Connell and Jonathan Afolabi. They have been playing down in the lower league in Scotland, were good underage prospects with Ireland.