2022 Season General Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Towelie
Reserves
Reserves

Re: 2022 Season General Thread

Post by Towelie » Wed May 04, 2022 5:40 pm

I think with that squad they've assembled they should be steamrolling every team and winning the league comfortably. Don't like writing off young Irish managers but I think Bradley will be found out at Lincoln, he's also an unlikable git so maybe that's why I'm inclined to think that.

The games against Rovers never had the same bite as the Cork games.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Wed May 04, 2022 7:21 pm

Lincoln were in the play off final last season.https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57216464

They finished 17th this season and the manager paid the price. Bradley will have to be getting them in the top half at least in his first season. Though easier said then done. Some big teams in League 1, and the likes of Derby County will be involved next season.

Hopefully Cork get promoted. They have started the season well

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Thu May 05, 2022 7:22 pm

oldfogey wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:33 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:20 pm Looks like Bradley is off to Lincoln from rovers. Wonder if he’ll bring Stephen McPhail with him. It will definitely upset rovers form but it’s not like he’s been dominating like Kenny was. Yes he’s won 2 in a row but 1 was an 18 game league and they’ve had no opposition of note. Wonder who they’ll go for if he does leave?
Duff.
Stephen Rice in the frame for it. https://t.co/ILyO2jq9lw

Another departure from Stephen Kennys backroom team. Rice replaced Higgins

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Fri May 06, 2022 10:33 am

Bradley staying put. Wise decision, I think.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Fri May 06, 2022 10:38 am

Good news for Derry I would say. With a little extra investment in the summer and beyond they should be able to overtake Rovers.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Wed May 11, 2022 4:15 pm

Con Murphy reflects on 2016 European run with Vinny Perth, Ciaran Kilduff, and Dane Massey.

https://twitter.com/jamesrogersie/statu ... _gSQw&s=19

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Wed May 11, 2022 5:12 pm

Not Dundalk related, but the new proposals for the Champions League are a bit of a joke. https://t.co/rqPS8JGELv

They should be doing more for the smaller Nations. Jose Mourinho might win another win another European trophy with the Conference League, but Roma shouldn't involved in that competition. The top 5 or 7 Leagues in Europe shouldn't have teams involved.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:13 am

Richie87 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:12 pm Not Dundalk related, but the new proposals for the Champions League are a bit of a joke. https://t.co/rqPS8JGELv

They should be doing more for the smaller Nations. Jose Mourinho might win another win another European trophy with the Conference League, but Roma shouldn't involved in that competition. The top 5 or 7 Leagues in Europe shouldn't have teams involved.
It's all about greed. Bigger clubs and uefa making more money. While the weaker clubs get squeezed out even further. Look at the champions league final, which will be contested by 2 clubs who didn't win their league titles, so realistically shouldn't be there. It's all about profit. I was in Rome at their conference qtr final v bodo Glimt, in a sold out Olympic Stadium. And that would generate millions more than Shamrock RVs in a 8l sell out of Tallaght. The small clubs never have a voice, but it should revert back to the champions of every nation not the top 4.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Thu May 12, 2022 9:16 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:13 am
Richie87 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:12 pm Not Dundalk related, but the new proposals for the Champions League are a bit of a joke. https://t.co/rqPS8JGELv

It's all about greed. Bigger clubs and uefa making more money. While the weaker clubs get squeezed out even further. Look at the champions league final, which will be contested by 2 clubs who didn't win their league titles, so realistically shouldn't be there. It's all about profit. I was in Rome at their conference qtr final v bodo Glimt, in a sold out Olympic Stadium. And that would generate millions more than Shamrock RVs in a 8l sell out of Tallaght. The small clubs never have a voice, but it should revert back to the champions of every nation not the top 4.
Unfortunately those were the days when the only way a club from "lesser" footballing nations made money was if the home gate exceeded the travelling costs for the away leg. The competitions now generate vast amounts of money from sponsorship and broadcast rights paid by companies who want the big clubs. This then trickles down to the smaller clubs. Winning our own league guarantees €800k. Conference qualifiers get €250k. I think I prefer the current system.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Thu May 12, 2022 1:20 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:13 am

True, and under the new proposals England could potentially have 5 teams in the Champions League.
What is the point calling it the champions league

The likes of Red Star Belgrade winning a European Cupl will never happen again. Or Steaua Bucharest beating Barcelona