Grounds Development.

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Grounds Development.

Post by Richie87 » Tue May 10, 2022 8:57 pm

They were discussing the Grounds in Dublin being redeveloped on the Rte pod, 13.40 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV-7mMocna0&t=2918s

One of them was making the point that its better to have groundshare, then hoping DCC will fund 3 grounds. In Italy Inter and AC Milan share, Lazio and Roma.

Obviously Dundalk and Drogheda want their own ground, but maybe should look into something. They could develop a good Category 3 stadium, then developing 2 average stadiums.

0rl
Reserves
Reserves

Post by 0rl » Thu May 19, 2022 7:03 pm

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2022/05/18 ... nt=rundown

Harps hoping to be in their ground for 2024 season.
6130 capacity (all covered)
3300 seated (1930 + 1400)
2800 covered standing (1400 behind each goal)

8 million cost. (down from earlier estimate of 11.5)

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Thu May 19, 2022 8:28 pm

0rl wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:03 pm https://www.donegaldaily.com/2022/05/18 ... nt=rundown

There are the 8 (+) million problems DFC have..... 100/150K prize money and average gates of 2,5-3k aint gonna build you a ground at that price. Unless one of the owners dig deep and do it privately, we will be waiting for a while, the GAA ground will be built first. Additionally, we dont need anywhere near 6k, 3-3,5 would be enough, how often do we get bigger attendances at Oriel?

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Thu May 19, 2022 9:53 pm

FH have done well to get it down from the original estimate, since the price of material is going up so much

Aberdeen's new ground is costing over £30m then the original estimate. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61169743

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Thu May 19, 2022 10:00 pm

Pepsi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:28 pm
0rl wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:03 pm https://www.donegaldaily.com/2022/05/18 ... nt=rundown

There are the 8 (+) million problems DFC have..... 100/150K prize money and average gates of 2,5-3k aint gonna build you a ground at that price. Unless one of the owners dig deep and do it privately, we will be waiting for a while, the GAA ground will be built first. Additionally, we dont need anywhere near 6k, 3-3,5 would be enough, how often do we get bigger attendances at Oriel?
One of the original reasons for upgrading Oriel Park was to avoid having to play UEFA 3rd round games in Tallaght. If 6,000 satisfied group licensing requirements, all the better, although I believe that limit is 8,000.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Fri May 20, 2022 10:18 am

Will repeat my point as it looks unlikely anything major will ever happen in Oriel, why not just patch it up, so its at least up to PD standard.

1/ Cover open seating town side of stand, L shape roof.

2/ Install Pats style semi-perm open seating behind town goal.

3/ Build Markets Field away type stand behind carrick road goal

4/ Demolish current away end, use space for extension to LW lounge / office etc.

Not sure how much all of this will cost, but the plan is better than nothing, and nothing seems to be happening.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Fri May 20, 2022 12:46 pm

If Finn Harps, a relatively unsuccessful club (sorry, but it's a fact) can come up with an excellent plan like this then why cannot Dundalk?
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Fri May 20, 2022 3:34 pm

Wexford White wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:46 pm If Finn Harps, a relatively unsuccessful club (sorry, but it's a fact) can come up with an excellent plan like this then why cannot Dundalk?
That is the difference when the local council and the majority of the community are on your side!! Why are Louth GAA getting a (oversized) ground for themselves? Amazing what can happen if councilors and a TD who sat on a sports committee get behind something ;)
As I have said before, if Dundalk fans and the owners want funds for a new / upgraded Oriel Park, each and every fan will have to hassel local councilors, TDs and Senators to ensure they get the message and start actively lobbying for it at Government level. A family member did some canvassing for a party before the last election .... was told many households (mostly outside town) asked 2 questions ...
What will X do for the local community? followed by ..... What about the Louth GAA ground?

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Fri May 20, 2022 3:38 pm

oldfogey wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:00 pm
Pepsi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:28 pm

One of the original reasons for upgrading Oriel Park was to avoid having to play UEFA 3rd round games in Tallaght. If 6,000 satisfied group licensing requirements, all the better, although I believe that limit is 8,000.
I agree, it should be what we are targeting, just not realisitic with the income available. Why Louth GAA are getting a ground of such a demension I will never know, will they ever sell it out? Thats how Ireland works....Doesnt have to make sense to you or I, but people in important places will have good reason I am sure, you scratch my back and I will scratch yours!!

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Fri May 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Why are they not entitled to a new ground? Croke Park is partly funding it also. Most County teams have good grounds or have plans in place to redevolop like Navan and Newbridge. And better facilities will attact more people.

Louth are also doing a fundraiser for it. https://louthgaa.ie/louth-gaa-granted-p ... w-stadium/

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Fri May 20, 2022 4:52 pm

I am not saying they are not entitled to it, however what I am saying is that it doesnt have to be as big as they are planning, they will never sell it out. Nor do I think, it should be solely for GAA, surely a community ground would make more sense in a county like Louth.
Public money for a GAA gound does not sit well with me, as the GAA have more money than most sporting organisations. The auld amateur sport muck doesnt stick with me, too many lads getting paid for playing or managing, too much coming in from TV deals etc. Would make you wonder, what could have been had the FAI been run right down the years.

Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:36 pm

We had millions and now we don’t, nothing to do with the GAA or council, just a badly run club for years. I’m not a GAA fan at all but they run lottos, raffles set out achievable goals and build towards them slowly. Ok yes they have some government backing why wouldn’t they it’s the national sport, but over the years loi clubs have set up comities and drawn a few plans in the hope that someone will hand them the money to develop a stadium, if Dundalk is going to move forward there needs to be a better fundraiser than the goal times because the council and the government will do piss all for the league of Ireland unfortunately.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Mon May 23, 2022 12:14 pm

80% new upgrades in LOI have been council driven, now the clubs don't get it for free, I think Rovers pay 7k a month to SDCC, but still look what they get.

In Louth there is abs no will from LCC to move forward on anything related to DFC / ground improvement, sure they almost had to be begged to do something during the peak of the Kenny era for end of season celebrations.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:02 pm

mike wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:14 pm 80% new upgrades in LOI have been council driven, now the clubs don't get it for free, I think Rovers pay 7k a month to SDCC, but still look what they get.

In Louth there is abs no will from LCC to move forward on anything related to DFC / ground improvement, sure they almost had to be begged to do something during the peak of the Kenny era for end of season celebrations.
Was that not the town council as opposed to the county council Mike? However neither seem interested in doing anything DFC related.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Mon May 23, 2022 5:18 pm

I said it before, and its worth saying again.

The football club is by far the greatest advertisement for the town that they will ever have. Any ambitions that the county or town has of developing the area is helped by the success of the football team and the name recognition it brings. It is genuinely a unique opportunity for an Irish town to have a successful sports team share its name and travel regularly in Europe, never mind promoting the town in the national media. I have had lads all over Europe, be it in Budapest, Prague or Warsaw know Dundalk because the football team. Think of the millions of euro worth of advertisement the club has done for the town. No PR campaign could come close in Irealnd.

So for the town/ county council not to recognise that opportunity is frustrating. They should be baiting down the door to provide the facilities to host teams from all over the country. The town is losing European fans/ tourists to Dublin because of the facilities. Tallaght Stadium has been a total success in this regard. Instead, we built a stadium for a sport that at most we would be in the second division in, and might not host a championship game all year.

Its silly conservative Irish thinking for me, stuck in the 90s instead of seeing the opportunity in front of them.
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903