Drogheda Utd v Dundalk | League Round 23 | Fri 08 July 2022 ko 19.45

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Drogheda Utd v Dundalk | League Round 23 | Fri 08 July 2022 ko 19.45

Post by Midfield11 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:13 am

People give out about oriel (and rightly so) but that’s the last time I will go to utd park (first time with the kids 9, 11). I’m 6ft and as usual could only see 2/3 of the pitch from the away section, kids could see nothing, it’s as family friendly as a prison. Is this ground not owned by the fai? I’ve been to a good few grounds in the league and this is without a doubt the worst I have been to. I’m not making a dig at drogheda I understand they have limited finances but the fai (yes I think they are the most corrupt scum in Ireland) need to start re focusing their finances evenly between the clubs and promote the league rather than focusing the majority of their time efforts and money on the national team(and rovers).

Daviddrog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Daviddrog » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:23 pm

Midfield11 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:13 am People give out about oriel (and rightly so) but that’s the last time I will go to utd park (first time with the kids 9, 11). I’m 6ft and as usual could only see 2/3 of the pitch from the away section, kids could see nothing, it’s as family friendly as a prison. Is this ground not owned by the fai? I’ve been to a good few grounds in the league and this is without a doubt the worst I have been to. I’m not making a dig at drogheda I understand they have limited finances but the fai (yes I think they are the most corrupt scum in Ireland) need to start re focusing their finances evenly between the clubs and promote the league rather than focusing the majority of their time efforts and money on the national team(and rovers).
If you hadve mentioned your displeasure at the state of the toilets, I’d have agreed.

But you’re giving out about the view for your kids in an old school terrace, where as you said, an adult would struggle to see the match. It’s one of the best away areas for creating an atmosphere when full, I think most old school football supporters appreciate that. Not family friendly obviously. You should’ve paid the extra few quid for a seat for your kids like others.

I agree with your general point re loi facilities though. I bring my 3 kids to matches (10, 8 and 5), the 2 youngest are girls. The male jacks in a disgrace in United park (though no big deal as young lad happy enough to p!ss anywhere), female jacks just pass. I’d prefer if club invested in proper jacks though, as I think the least you can expect in going to a loi match is basic toilet facilities.

Bar rovers it’s a problem across the league. I refused to bring kids to oriel a couple of months soley because of the jacks (very hot and miss and wasn’t rolling the dice with 2 young girls). Need new runners after walking into jacks in Tolka, portaloo in dalyer,etc.

Stuff that didn’t bother me going as a single lad, but now with kids, I realise the importance of clubs investing in proper jacks. I also realise the importance of paying an extra few quid at an away match so they can sit down and watch it

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:36 pm

Daviddrog wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:23 pm
Midfield11 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:13 am People give out about oriel (and rightly so) but that’s the last time I will go to utd park (first time with the kids 9, 11). I’m 6ft and as usual could only see 2/3 of the pitch from the away section, kids could see nothing, it’s as family friendly as a prison. Is this ground not owned by the fai? I’ve been to a good few grounds in the league and this is without a doubt the worst I have been to. I’m not making a dig at drogheda I understand they have limited finances but the fai (yes I think they are the most corrupt scum in Ireland) need to start re focusing their finances evenly between the clubs and promote the league rather than focusing the majority of their time efforts and money on the national team(and rovers).
If you hadve mentioned your displeasure at the state of the toilets, I’d have agreed.

But you’re giving out about the view for your kids in an old school terrace, where as you said, an adult would struggle to see the match. It’s one of the best away areas for creating an atmosphere when full, I think most old school football supporters appreciate that. Not family friendly obviously. You should’ve paid the extra few quid for a seat for your kids like others.

I agree with your general point re loi facilities though. I bring my 3 kids to matches (10, 8 and 5), the 2 youngest are girls. The male jacks in a disgrace in United park (though no big deal as young lad happy enough to p!ss anywhere), female jacks just pass. I’d prefer if club invested in proper jacks though, as I think the least you can expect in going to a loi match is basic toilet facilities.

Bar rovers it’s a problem across the league. I refused to bring kids to oriel a couple of months soley because of the jacks (very hot and miss and wasn’t rolling the dice with 2 young girls). Need new runners after walking into jacks in Tolka, portaloo in dalyer,etc.

Stuff that didn’t bother me going as a single lad, but now with kids, I realise the importance of clubs investing in proper jacks. I also realise the importance of paying an extra few quid at an away match so they can sit down and watch it
The option for stand tickets wasn't available. I got sorted in the end as my son had major surgery recently and Drogheda were very favourable in accommodating my request (fair play to them).

As away fans Dundalk and Drogheda can't really slate other grounds. Tolka is horrendous wading through rivers of piss in the toilets, soaked to the skin if it rains, but at least the smell of the piss on your shoes then gets washed away. Dalymount same only with portaloos. Inchicore the seats were totally covered in bird shit. Have the decency to power wash them clean before you expect paying customers to sit on them. Away end in Drogheda creates atmosphere and at least you are dry, but the view is horrendous. And we all know the issues with the away end in Oriel. In 2022 all of this is unacceptable for the paying customer.

There should be the option of stand tickets to all fans not just the select few. Bottom Line is the lads with flares or fans who might be looking for a bit of an atmosphere good or bad, won't be looking for stand tickets. It is mostly elderly fans or families. So give fans the option to purchase stand tickets.

Most of these issues probably meant little to us as lads going with our mates. But with the increasing number of young girls and women attending matches and families, it is time to call it out. Treat your lifeblood with a bit of respect. It costs very little but goes a long way. This is where the GAA are light years ahead of the LoI, but also they get serious amount of government funding and they pump a lot of it back into the grassroots. FAI and government and local authorities do little to absolutely nothing for the LOI teams. Politicians don't care as Dundalk get roughly 3k fans into oriel how many of those are of voting age? How many will be in Croke Park today? Hence why politicians will always back the gaa cause.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:48 pm

GAA does a lot of fundraising themselves in most Counties. Most GAA clubs have excellent faciltities, nevermind at County level.. They get good grants but its going back into the grass roots. The big games in Croke Park is where the money is made

Daviddrog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Daviddrog » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:18 pm

I can’t speak for lastnight as I’m away and had to watch it on tv, but in the match earlier in season, Dundalk had a lot of stand tickets (I’m sometimes in that stand myself). The stand was split with the first section specifically cordoned off for Dundalk supporters. Pleanty of older supporters and those with kids in it.

But I agree with everything you say re toilets. Personally I’m not too bothered in general about facilities, once you can get a covered seat for kids - but I do draw a line on the state of toilets in the league. Clubs should be made sign a player or 2 less and put that money into proper toilet facilities whether they own the ground or not

Daviddrog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Daviddrog » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:20 pm

Richie87 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:48 pm GAA does a lot of fundraising themselves in most Counties. Most GAA clubs have excellent faciltities, nevermind at County level.. They get good grants but its going back into the grass roots. The big games in Croke Park is where the money is made
The grants gaa clubs get is criminal compared to what loi clubs. But at the same time, loi clubs fail nearly at the first hurdle as they’re unable to show proof of funds towards their part of the funding of the project, instead spunking all their money on wages

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:33 pm

LOI Clubs spent more on wages then thinking long term. The amount of clubs that were going busts in the early 2000s, throwing out big wages in the Celtic tiger days. Sporting Fingal, Dublin City, Monaghan Utd,

Shamrock Rovers have a good training facility at roadstone but most Inter County teams would have as good or better. Kerry's is top quality

https://www.kerrygaa.ie/centre-of-excellence/

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:59 am

Richie87 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:33 pm Kerry's is top quality

Having a look at that it genuinely doesn't look a whole lot better than the YDC. If we had of held on to Hiney park we would have excellent training facilities. As good as any club in the league and the vast majority of GAA county teams. It's a tremendous shame that we didn't try to buy it back when being sold by NAMA.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Daviddrog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Daviddrog » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:17 pm

Richie87 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:33 pm LOI Clubs spent more on wages then thinking long term. The amount of clubs that were going busts in the early 2000s, throwing out big wages in the Celtic tiger days. Sporting Fingal, Dublin City, Monaghan Utd,

Shamrock Rovers have a good training facility at roadstone but most Inter County teams would have as good or better. Kerry's is top quality

Can’t really accuse Monaghan of throwing big wages in relative terms in the league. They didn’t even have 1 full time player from what I remember? Monaghan have all weather pitches which used make a nice few quid (I’m sure they still do). They’d a good set up until they over stretched themselves slightly with roddy. But wouldn’t put them in same bracket as fingal, Dublin, cork, us, bohs, shels, yourselves, etc for spunking away dead money on wages

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:29 pm

True,and they had small attendances so very little of a gate. Limerick of the more recent teams went out of business. They had big name players a few years ago, Ogbene, Basten Hery, and the well travelled Brazilian RodrigoTosi