UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

User avatar
Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 am
Location: Dundalk

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by Towelie » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:14 pm

Hoban is on a long-term contract until 2024 I believe so we don't have to plan for life without him unless he loses a leg.

User avatar
magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Dublin

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by magarnagle » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:17 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:09 pm
magarnagle wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:04 pm Some hysterics on here.

Even if we lose all our remaining games, O'Donnell should be the manager next year. Anybody who thinks otherwise needs their head checked.

Pats fans wanted O'Donnell out during his first season as well
I’m more annoyed at the owners for not paying Connolly when it was obvious that we’d make the money back from Europe.
Hindsight is a great thing. Most people agreed that it was too much and many commended the owners for being prudent, following years of kamakaze spending. To be fair with the gap we had I think most would have thought it was enough. Unfortunately we've hit a big dip in form and Pats are on a great run.

If we take a deep breath and think about it, getting 4th and hopefully Europe would be a really good season, so not doomsday yet.

I trust O'Donnell to find another Connolly and more

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:17 pm

Carlingford Lad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:14 pm
southerncomfort wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:08 pm temporary lift on the vow of silence from me

FFS relax , all fair points but
we're 3rd .
we faced relegation last year .

to be 3rd at this point In the season , after a complete rebuild is excellent.
we cant just turn on managers after some poor results , or at least - not when we're still In the top 3 .

sod was too much of a risk for me , owners went for the shinny tinsel and pissed off pat's unnecessarily , but he's shown he can get good results

the last thing we need is the manager to be getting slaughtered here or , pods or media . even if we're beaten next week , relax .

Frustrating this eve , but
supporters = support
We’re third because we got the 3 points from a match we lost. And because we’ve played a game more than Pats.

As for SOD’s ability to get good results, he has a win and a draw from our last five.

I don’t think it’s hysterics to compare his performance with Clancy and to ask whether the board backed the right horse.
100% disagree

User avatar
magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Dublin

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by magarnagle » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:19 pm

Carlingford Lad wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:14 pm
southerncomfort wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:08 pm temporary lift on the vow of silence from me

FFS relax , all fair points but
we're 3rd .
we faced relegation last year .

to be 3rd at this point In the season , after a complete rebuild is excellent.
we cant just turn on managers after some poor results , or at least - not when we're still In the top 3 .

sod was too much of a risk for me , owners went for the shinny tinsel and pissed off pat's unnecessarily , but he's shown he can get good results

the last thing we need is the manager to be getting slaughtered here or , pods or media . even if we're beaten next week , relax .

Frustrating this eve , but
supporters = support
We’re third because we got the 3 points from a match we lost. And because we’ve played a game more than Pats.

As for SOD’s ability to get good results, he has a win and a draw from our last five.

I don’t think it’s hysterics to compare his performance with Clancy and to ask whether the board backed the right horse.
That is the very definition of hysterics. Log off and get some sleep FFS

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:23 pm

magarnagle wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:17 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:09 pm
magarnagle wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:04 pm Some hysterics on here.

Even if we lose all our remaining games, O'Donnell should be the manager next year. Anybody who thinks otherwise needs their head checked.

Pats fans wanted O'Donnell out during his first season as well
I’m more annoyed at the owners for not paying Connolly when it was obvious that we’d make the money back from Europe.
Hindsight is a great thing. Most people agreed that it was too much and many commended the owners for being prudent, following years of kamakaze spending. To be fair with the gap we had I think most would have thought it was enough. Unfortunately we've hit a big dip in form and Pats are on a great run.

If we take a deep breath and think about it, getting 4th and hopefully Europe would be a really good season, so not doomsday yet.

I trust O'Donnell to find another Connolly and more
But it wasn’t hindsight MG.
I called it in July and I’m not an expert or trying to blow my own trumpet!! It was bleeding obvious how good Connolly was and I think SOD knew it but the 3 owners wouldn’t pay him.
As Mike pointed out in other posts, we are seeded in Europe so there’s a good chance that we could get €750k . Even if we were to crash out, we’d have a guaranteed €250k, surely enough to cover Connolly’s wages
The reason we are losing so many points is that we can’t defend any more. It’s that simple.
Last edited by Martin Lawlor80 on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3154
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by seand » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:24 pm

Absolutely dismal against an utterly awful opponent. The last few weeks raise a lot of questions about O'Donnell and the players. Hard to put into words just how bad it was today.

User avatar
magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Dublin

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by magarnagle » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:43 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:23 pm
magarnagle wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:17 pm
Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:09 pm

I’m more annoyed at the owners for not paying Connolly when it was obvious that we’d make the money back from Europe.
Hindsight is a great thing. Most people agreed that it was too much and many commended the owners for being prudent, following years of kamakaze spending. To be fair with the gap we had I think most would have thought it was enough. Unfortunately we've hit a big dip in form and Pats are on a great run.

If we take a deep breath and think about it, getting 4th and hopefully Europe would be a really good season, so not doomsday yet.

I trust O'Donnell to find another Connolly and more
But it wasn’t hindsight MG.
I called it in July and I’m not an expert or trying to blow my own trumpet!! It was bleeding obvious how good Connolly was and I think SOD knew it but the 3 owners wouldn’t pay him.
As Mike pointed out in other posts, we are seeded in Europe so there’s a good chance that we could get €750k . Even if we were to crash out, we’d have a guaranteed €250k, surely enough to cover Connolly’s wages
The reason we are losing so many points is that we can’t defend any more. It’s that simple.
Everyone knows Connolly was our best defender and I'm sure O'Donnell would have loved to keep him but that's football, he was looking for a ridiculous amount and a hefty transfer fee. As much as I'd love to have him, I'm not annoyed we didn't pay it.

This is the same team that defended well against Derry and away to Bohs with 10 men. Confidence is a bit shot but I'm sure SOD will rectify that.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Online !

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by mike » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:18 am

The euro qualification is a huge concern now and that should have been nearly 'odds on' to have almost secured 3rd spot weeks ago, now its right back in the balance, and Pats are the form team in the league right behind us.

I know i've been banging on about this, the coefficient, but it really is an important point. It will be around 8.5 if we make it, but if we miss europe and qualify for 2024 it will drop to below 6 maybe lower. In simple terms, the current rating will get you likes of Bala Town or Andora in first round, and then maybe Malta / Faroes / Estonia in round 2, both would be highly 'winnable' and once you get to round 3 its around 750-800k already banked. It will get serious then as it flips to 'proper' teams / leagues, but still a good chance to make a million if we could cause an upset and make it past 3 rounds.

This is exactly what is currently at risk, and I`m sorry to say SOD and his mgt team need to be doing a lot lot better. Where is the drive from the guy we saw months ago, and that is filtering down to the team, the other worry I have, I just hope he is not too 'matey' with a lot of them, they are employees and need to deliver a lot more, as he does. I am sure he can become a good (maybe even a great) DFC manager, but the last 4-5 weeks have been pretty shocking to say the least, add that to scrapping by FD Wexford in the cup.

Blunt post, but we are running out of chances to retain our spot in the euro places.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by Richie87 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:23 am

magarnagle wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:04 pm Some hysterics on here.

Even if we lose all our remaining games, O'Donnell should be the manager next year. Anybody who thinks otherwise needs their head checked.

Pats fans wanted O'Donnell out during his first season as well
Dundalk won't lose all the remaining games , but why would anyone have a safety net if that happened?. Being a legendary player shouldn't be a automatic pass. Besides the players would likely lose confidence in any manager if they lost 10 games in a row.

User avatar
magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 818
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Dublin

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by magarnagle » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:54 pm

Richie87 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:23 am
magarnagle wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:04 pm Some hysterics on here.

Even if we lose all our remaining games, O'Donnell should be the manager next year. Anybody who thinks otherwise needs their head checked.

Pats fans wanted O'Donnell out during his first season as well
Dundalk won't lose all the remaining games , but why would anyone have a safety net if that happened?. Being a legendary player shouldn't be a automatic pass. Besides the players would likely lose confidence in any manager if they lost 10 games in a row.
Nothing about being a legend, don't think I mentioned that. I'm basing it on what I've seen so far this season and not just focusing on the last few results (as disappointing at they've been). SOD had a disrupted preseason as Pats made it as difficult as possible for him to plan. He's had to rely on a lot of loan signings, more than he'd like I'd say. But he managed to build a squad that is challenging for Europe. He's brought some good players in and I'd be confident he'll do it again with a longer preseason to plan.

There were plenty of Pats fans calling for him to go in his first season. These same fans were giving out about Clancy prior to the European run. It's almost like new managers need time

User avatar
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4470
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:33 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:30 pm

I think preseason went against us and there was some panic signings with time running out. We've been unlucky with injuries too, had Hoban and Benson been fully fit I think we would have the European spot wrapped up and we'd be chasing Rovers.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by Richie87 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:32 pm

Dundalk will probably be bringing in loan players again,if they don't make Europe. Maybe a slightly bigger budget if they miss out, but Shamrock Rovers and Derry well ahead in the finances.
St Pat's have made decent money from the sales of Darragh Burns and James Abankwah.

Maybe Ryan O Kane could bring in a decent fee, contracted until 2024.

StephenKennyHero
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:17 pm

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by StephenKennyHero » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:59 am

Where’s Statsports in all this? Surely they have the funds necessary to help Skip keep the likes of Connolly. Who’s decision was it not to pay him?

Just so disappointing, a great chance missed 🤦‍♂️

Some players need to take a long hard luck at themselves too

TrevDaRev2
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon May 10, 2021 10:12 am

Re: UCD v Dundalk | League Round 30 | Friday 09 September 2022 ko 19.45

Post by TrevDaRev2 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:00 am

StephenKennyHero wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:59 am Where’s Statsports in all this? Surely they have the funds necessary to help Skip keep the likes of Connolly. Who’s decision was it not to pay him?

Just so disappointing, a great chance missed 🤦‍♂️

Some players need to take a long hard luck at themselves too
Looks like you joined Tuesday with the specific intention of stirring the pot. You may get a hobby because it’s clear you haven’t a clue and no one on here is gonna take you seriously

Post Reply