Ground improvements

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Ground improvements

Post by Towelie » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:06 pm

Semi-Perm with covering would be ideal behind the goals, I'd say that a lot of the people who are in that small terrace next to the main stand would move to it. Would get a lot of kids as well. Something like that would increase average attendances by at least 500 per match I'd say. I seen someone had up the average attendances for this season and the past 5 seasons and we averaged around 2,900 which was better than the four previous years but less of a gain compared to other clubs in the league that are averaging 3,200+.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:42 pm

mike wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:33 am The open seating stand Sligo have behind the Railway end of their goal was mostly funded from Euro monies earned in 2013 season after they won the league in 2012.

We paid off LCC planning, installed 2 pitches, kitted out YDC, of course its a wonderful facility with Gym and dressing rooms, canteen for players and an asset to the club, but none of this is what fans see. On a wet night both sides of the stand are standing in the rain, and virtually nothing else done for spectator comfort. Most of the Euro money now gone, so what did it fund, probably league titles in 18 and 19.

Just a shame even a small build never happened, could easily have roofed both sides of the stand in L shape, or built that semi-perm seating Pats have behind the Inchicore goals end at our town end, none of this would have taken massive amounts of money either.

The excuse was always a mix of don't have full ownernship, but is that only the actual pitch (which they did spend 000's on), and planning for Cat 3, 4 etc, look get it up to PD LOI standard first, which its not !
Without going down the rabbit hole of the south western corner of the YDC (which is not), everything in Oriel Park - not just the pitch - is built on land owned by the Casey family trust. I would imagine that Des' recent passing may have given rise to a re-evaluation on their part. Leaving that to one side, the general concensus seems to be that the existing footprint is too small and that a new site (green or brown) is required. That's a huge investment, one that will not be recouped in the event that the owners decided to move on. The Sligo move to a Category 3 Stadium is puzzling, unless they feel that they can get to QR3 - and beyond - on a regular basis. The only other benefit is picking up under-21 internationals and perhaps, Derry City needing a "home from home". They were 12 points shy of Pats and 17 away from a guaranteed European spot.

While I agree that OP needs work done to it, it would be a shame to spend money which will be of no benefit when only under-age football is being played there.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:48 pm

Towelie wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:06 pm Semi-Perm with covering would be ideal behind the goals, I'd say that a lot of the people who are in that small terrace next to the main stand would move to it. Would get a lot of kids as well. Something like that would increase average attendances by at least 500 per match I'd say. I seen someone had up the average attendances for this season and the past 5 seasons and we averaged around 2,900 which was better than the four previous years but less of a gain compared to other clubs in the league that are averaging 3,200+.
100% then you have 'soccer mom' going as is the case in the states, they go when there is a family area, proper toilets, cover, food options, make it a regular event, could easily increase crowds by 300-500.

Look at Pats, came from an avg of under 2k to just over or almost 4k now, but to be fair are helped by short trips and full allocation 6 visits by Rovers / Bohs / Shels combined.

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:57 pm

oldfogey wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:42 pm
mike wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:33 am The open seating stand Sligo have behind the Railway end of their goal was mostly funded from Euro monies earned in 2013 season after they won the league in 2012.

We paid off LCC planning, installed 2 pitches, kitted out YDC, of course its a wonderful facility with Gym and dressing rooms, canteen for players and an asset to the club, but none of this is what fans see. On a wet night both sides of the stand are standing in the rain, and virtually nothing else done for spectator comfort. Most of the Euro money now gone, so what did it fund, probably league titles in 18 and 19.

Just a shame even a small build never happened, could easily have roofed both sides of the stand in L shape, or built that semi-perm seating Pats have behind the Inchicore goals end at our town end, none of this would have taken massive amounts of money either.

The excuse was always a mix of don't have full ownernship, but is that only the actual pitch (which they did spend 000's on), and planning for Cat 3, 4 etc, look get it up to PD LOI standard first, which its not !
Without going down the rabbit hole of the south western corner of the YDC (which is not), everything in Oriel Park - not just the pitch - is built on land owned by the Casey family trust. I would imagine that Des' recent passing may have given rise to a re-evaluation on their part. Leaving that to one side, the general concensus seems to be that the existing footprint is too small and that a new site (green or brown) is required. That's a huge investment, one that will not be recouped in the event that the owners decided to move on. The Sligo move to a Category 3 Stadium is puzzling, unless they feel that they can get to QR3 - and beyond - on a regular basis. The only other benefit is picking up under-21 internationals and perhaps, Derry City needing a "home from home". They were 12 points shy of Pats and 17 away from a guaranteed European spot.

While I agree that OP needs work done to it, it would be a shame to spend money which will be of no benefit when only under-age football is being played there.
Well said Oldfogey. Before anything major could happen to Oriel the club would have to buy ground around the site to allow for safe entry and expansion and maybe a little more for parking within walking distance. A greenfield project would have to happen if the owners were to dream of meeting any UEFA standard. If they were to go down the path of trying for a Cat.4, then they would be well advised to have a site which would also allow for expansion to Cat.3 at a later date. We should however remain realistic, a new ground is not going to win DFC 2-3K new fans overnight and after the initial hype of visiting the new ground, the attendance will drop off once again meaning the new ground would maybe mean an increase of approx. 500-1,000 new paying spectators.
Last edited by Pepsi on Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:00 pm

Lads, I think a lot are missing the point here, forget about the fancy Cat 3 etc stadium.

We don't even have a PD LOI standard stadium! Oriel will be ranked 9th from 10 next season, plus a lot of away fans actually prefer Drogs and see us bottom as they offer cover!

If the plan is to move, well and good, but surely we could improve things in the medium term.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:43 pm

mike wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:00 pm Lads, I think a lot are missing the point here, forget about the fancy Cat 3 etc stadium.

We don't even have a PD LOI standard stadium! Oriel will be ranked 9th from 10 next season, plus a lot of away fans actually prefer Drogs and see us bottom as they offer cover!

If the plan is to move, well and good, but surely we could improve things in the medium term.
If there is genuine hope in moving in next five years (highly doubt it) then I wouldn't be wasting money improving oriel within that timeframe. Once it gets the licence that's all we need, if there is a genuine plan in place to move from oriel that is. However Mike you know, and I know that we will be having this conversation again next season, and the season after times 10.

I see Fitzgerald stadium in Killarney is due a major upgrade for which they are seeking major government investment. Why can't we get the same assistance? There seems to be no real interest from the club, town or county councils, FAI or Government to help us achieve a new stadium.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:00 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:43 pm
mike wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:00 pm Lads, I think a lot are missing the point here, forget about the fancy Cat 3 etc stadium.

If there is genuine hope in moving in next five years (highly doubt it) then I wouldn't be wasting money improving oriel within that timeframe. Once it gets the licence that's all we need, if there is a genuine plan in place to move from oriel that is. However Mike you know, and I know that we will be having this conversation again next season, and the season after times 10.

I see Fitzgerald stadium in Killarney is due a major upgrade for which they are seeking major government investment. Why can't we get the same assistance? There seems to be no real interest from the club, town or county councils, FAI or Government to help us achieve a new stadium.
Niall all the local (political) interest and effort is going into the new Louth GAA ground. We will not see public money paying for a new greenfield DFC ground over the next 15 years. The club will have to do it alone or have a lot of luck politically if they are to get it built.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:08 pm

Drogheda had government funding rejected last year for a new stadium

stadium.https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... w-23685049

Their former chairman was speaking recently on LMFM about a potential new owner supporting a new stadium. Probaly fanciful ,but at least they are trying to do something

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:24 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:43 pm

We sure will Niall, I speaking of Kerry, I was looking into the new club Kerry FC, one of their sides even looks better than our shed already, plus they have new seating ordered ! This is the newest club in the country.

Look end of the day guys we all know the challenges with Oriel, and lack of public funding, so why is there not a push to just gradually improve the old girl, cover both sides of the stand, build what Pats have behind our town goal, job done !

carrickfan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by carrickfan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:38 pm

Tried to upload the satellite view of Oriel from Google maps as a photo but the file is too big. There Is a reasonable amount of ground to the left of the main stand which incorporates the away terrace which if utilised would allow the expansion of the main stand to double its existing size. There’s also land to the right which could allow expansion of the main stand but it narrows a bit.

The view from the away terrace is curtailed significantly since the pitch was moved however if a new stand was built and incorporated into the existing stand the restrictions wouldn’t be a factor I believe. This potentially could increase capacity by 1500 without going outside the footprint.

House all fans on this side of the ground using stand and reserved terrace underneath and allow away fans the shed or part of it giving them cover…