Time to unite, not divide!

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Scubs
Youth Team
Youth Team

Time to unite, not divide!

Post by Scubs »

Over the last couple of weeks I can see a toxicity creeping into Dundalk fans along with a serious anti club agenda, fuelled by decisions made by the club, whether you agree with the decisions or not I don’t think it justifies the strong anti club agenda that you can see on social media. This is football, not every decision a clubs makes is going to be right and not every decision is going to be one you agree with.

I personally think it’s time to move on from the whole Pat saga and put it behind it us, whether you agree with it or not but that’s football for you. Now more than ever we need to get behind the club & team, not calling for the managers head or writing off the season before a ball is kicked.

We are going through a transition period and we really need to move on from our past successes and start lowering our expectations of what we can actually achieve on and off the pitch. As supporters we need to be prepared for results not to go our way from the start of the season as the team starts to work together, last thing the team or manager needs is supporters on their back after the first game or two.

I’ve seen some dark times in this club and the some great times, how we always got out of the bad times was fans uniting, not dividing!

Sorry for the rant but I feel like something needs to be said to our supporters as now more than ever our club needs us to support them, not have a go at them at every opportunity.

Time to get your season tickets and jerseys bought and look forward to getting back to Oriel!

Mon the town! 🏁🏁
Lillywhite on the brain
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Time to unite, not divide!

Post by Philistine »

Very well said Scubs .. Lets hope supporters and local media follow suit and just get behind the team again
Gearóid Bellew
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Gearóid Bellew »

Well said.

I'm firmly in the wait and see camp, I presume there are things that we do not know that caused decisions we may not understand to be made.

Really looking forward to the start of the season now & seeing what it brings.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Scubs wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:28 pm Over the last couple of weeks I can see a toxicity creeping into Dundalk fans along with a serious anti club agenda, fuelled by decisions made by the club, whether you agree with the decisions or not I don’t think it justifies the strong anti club agenda that you can see on social media. This is football, not every decision a clubs makes is going to be right and not every decision is going to be one you agree with.

I personally think it’s time to move on from the whole Pat saga and put it behind it us, whether you agree with it or not but that’s football for you. Now more than ever we need to get behind the club & team, not calling for the managers head or writing off the season before a ball is kicked.

We are going through a transition period and we really need to move on from our past successes and start lowering our expectations of what we can actually achieve on and off the pitch. As supporters we need to be prepared for results not to go our way from the start of the season as the team starts to work together, last thing the team or manager needs is supporters on their back after the first game or two.

I’ve seen some dark times in this club and the some great times, how we always got out of the bad times was fans uniting, not dividing!

Sorry for the rant but I feel like something needs to be said to our supporters as now more than ever our club needs us to support them, not have a go at them at every opportunity.

Time to get your season tickets and jerseys bought and look forward to getting back to Oriel!

Mon the town! 🏁🏁
Plenty of dark times too, my first game was 77 Cup Final, I am told I was at PSV 76 but don't remember it, anyway we had a lot of dark times between then and now.

84/85 wasn't great the last season before T O'Connor arrived, McLaughlin had left end of 83 so we were in limbo, then Turlough sorted that with 1 double and another league within 6 years of arriving. Also I think we needed to win our second last game to avoid going down in 84, it was 4 down that season to create the new FD with 6 new clubs, we were not far off !

93 + 94 was another bleak period, think we ended up in the bottom half of the split in the PD, abs nothing to play for but we did scrape to the cup final, lost to Shels, but crowds had reduced to 500 in some games. We did win the league in 95 but that was only putting a plaster on what was to come, we were nearly liquidated a year or so later and finally went down in 99.

03 -+ 04 -These were bleak years also, year after we won the cup, but just when seasons changed to summer, we came 2nd and 3rd last in FD in those seasons, the stand was falling apart (quite literally), then Gerry Matthews came in and sorted out a lot of re-build to be fair, but we were going nowhere in the FD and only starting competing around 05, I can remember thinking in 04, there was almost no hope.

It ended up being a long 7 years down, and only 1 up those days, we needed Gary Scanlon 90+3 equaliser for Limerick away to Shels for us to go up, imagine if that didn't happen, no SK, no 5 PD titles 14-19, no 2016 !

So brilliant post Scubs, that is the spirit, younger readers should always remember we had a long long spell of bleak seasons, we are a long long way away from this and we should be well set up to consolidate in PD this season, I think that would keep everyone happy.

Keep the fait all - the good times will come back...................one day!
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

mike wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:01 pm
Scubs wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:28 pm Over the last couple of weeks I can see a toxicity creeping into Dundalk fans along with a serious anti club agenda, fuelled by decisions made by the club, whether you agree with the decisions or not I don’t think it justifies the strong anti club agenda that you can see on social media. This is football, not every decision a clubs makes is going to be right and not every decision is going to be one you agree with.

Mon the town! 🏁🏁
Plenty of dark times too, my first game was 77 Cup Final, I am told I was at PSV 76 but don't remember it, anyway we had a lot of dark times between then and now.

84/85 wasn't great the last season before T O'Connor arrived, McLaughlin had left end of 83 so we were in limbo, then Turlough sorted that with 1 double and another league within 6 years of arriving. Also I think we needed to win our second last game to avoid going down in 84, it was 4 down that season to create the new FD with 6 new clubs, we were not far off !

93 + 94 was another bleak period, think we ended up in the bottom half of the split in the PD, abs nothing to play for but we did scrape to the cup final, lost to Shels, but crowds had reduced to 500 in some games. We did win the league in 95 but that was only putting a plaster on what was to come, we were nearly liquidated a year or so later and finally went down in 99.

03 -+ 04 -These were bleak years also, year after we won the cup, but just when seasons changed to summer, we came 2nd and 3rd last in FD in those seasons, the stand was falling apart (quite literally), then Gerry Matthews came in and sorted out a lot of re-build to be fair, but we were going nowhere in the FD and only starting competing around 05, I can remember thinking in 04, there was almost no hope.

It ended up being a long 7 years down, and only 1 up those days, we needed Gary Scanlon 90+3 equaliser for Limerick away to Shels for us to go up, imagine if that didn't happen, no SK, no 5 PD titles 14-19, no 2016 !

So brilliant post Scubs, that is the spirit, younger readers should always remember we had a long long spell of bleak seasons, we are a long long way away from this and we should be well set up to consolidate in PD this season, I think that would keep everyone happy.

Keep the fait all - the good times will come back...................one day!
Very good post Mike .. 100 per cent right too, lots of people with short memories/agendas it seems .
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Came out of tonight feelin positive about the year ahead. New owner came across well. Talk of money from America sounded like it was close to being done. Ruled out grass pitch but said new astro and floodlights would need to be in place for 2025. Seem to have a solution for disabled fans too. Seat behind both goals and a proper facelift for oriel overall. Reading between the lines sounds like they’re lookin at options around a new academy setup in town. Exploring the possibility of bars being run by someone outside to professionalise it. Opening up YDC to general public also an aim. Kinda committed to producing a longer term plan and communicating with fans about it.

All in all I thought it was realistic and he didn’t promise the sun moon and stars. Clear he has stuff he wants to get done quickly and was even giving timelines said he’d be left lookin like an arsehole if he didn’t deliver which got a laugh but I thought that was basically saying ye I’m good to my word. Real business head on him and doesn’t mince his words I don’t think.

Think he needs a few small wins in the coming weeks to let fans know he’s serious about all the above and sounded happy enough to be judged on that basis. We live in hope
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:37 pm Came out of tonight feelin positive about the year ahead. New owner came across well. Talk of money from America sounded like it was close to being done. Ruled out grass pitch but said new astro and floodlights would need to be in place for 2025. Seem to have a solution for disabled fans too. Seat behind both goals and a proper facelift for oriel overall. Reading between the lines sounds like they’re lookin at options around a new academy setup in town. Exploring the possibility of bars being run by someone outside to professionalise it. Opening up YDC to general public also an aim. Kinda committed to producing a longer term plan and communicating with fans about it.

All in all I thought it was realistic and he didn’t promise the sun moon and stars. Clear he has stuff he wants to get done quickly and was even giving timelines said he’d be left lookin like an arsehole if he didn’t deliver which got a laugh but I thought that was basically saying ye I’m good to my word. Real business head on him and doesn’t mince his words I don’t think.

Think he needs a few small wins in the coming weeks to let fans know he’s serious about all the above and sounded happy enough to be judged on that basis. We live in hope
Great update. I like what I've heard so far. Very pragmatic and a bit of realism
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

You’d hope so. Only time will tell but it wasn’t off the wall stuff sounded like he done his homework and was well across the issues and owned them
dundog21
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by dundog21 »

What does professionalising the pub actually mean?
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

dundog21 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:38 am What does professionalising the pub actually mean?
Having it open would be a start!! :D
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

dundog21 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:38 am What does professionalising the pub actually mean?
I would assume it would mean using it to its maximal potential. Opening it on non match nights, maybe running small events in it etc. Outsourcing it either says it is not making as much money as people think or he hopes to earn a stable regular fixed income from it by receiving some sort of rent for it.

Time to give the man a chance to implement his plans. As he said, he will not get everything right, however in 12 months time we will know how serious he is. A start will be to see what shape Oriel is in for our next home game and if he comes out and tells us who his investors are. Even if he doesnt give us investors names, maybe he will be able to tell us what it is they take to the party.