Dundalk v Drogheda Utd | Malone Cup/LSC Group A | Friday 02 February ko 19.45

Forum to discuss home games

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk v Drogheda Utd | Malone Cup/LSC Group A | Friday 02 February ko 19.45

Post by oldfogey »

First chance to see a - near enough - full squad in action. Interesting to see selections in most areas of the park, although with the Malone Cup at stake, there will be less of a pre-season risk in team selection. Drogheda beat Bohs 3-1 in their first game. With Malahide still to come, a win for them effectively seals the group.

Both the Lilywhite Lounge & Enda McGuill Suite will be open from 6pm on the night.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Drogheda Utd | Malone Cup/LSC Group A | Friday 02 February ko 19.45

Post by oldfogey »

Important information re admission prices and the result.
https://www.dundalkfc.com/information-d ... -utd-bohs/

A draw after 90 mins will mean a point each towards the LSC group. Straight to penalties to decide the Malone Cup.

Stand: Adult €15 - Juvenile €8
Ground: Adult €10 - Juvenile €5

(See link in attachment for ticket purchase)
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Dundalk v Drogheda Utd | Malone Cup/LSC Group A | Friday 02 February ko 19.45

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

You'd expect tonight will be the closest we'll get to an indication of his starting XI for rovers. Im more interested to see the system he wants to go with, Hoban moving on was supposed to be due to that so lets see how different it is to last years. Seemed to play 4231 against longford with 2 at the base of midfield more or less being rigid
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:14 pm You'd expect tonight will be the closest we'll get to an indication of his starting XI for rovers. Im more interested to see the system he wants to go with, Hoban moving on was supposed to be due to that so lets see how different it is to last years. Seemed to play 4231 against longford with 2 at the base of midfield more or less being rigid
Was the same against Malahide. We had a soft belly last year and conceded a lot of goals from there. Looks like he is trying to tighten that up.

I still think we are a little short in defense so hopefully another couple to come in.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek »

Not great .
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Gonna be a long hard season based on that flat performance Having said that, the result is immaterial, it's about getting minutes in the pitch.
Mayoa better than Annesley and deserves a chance.
Mahon and Benson very good Dutch guy and Davies good. Muller good. Rest are average. Kenny and Cammy not good enough to lead the line. Yeah we won't miss Hoban alright.what was the keeper at and he kept doing it afterwards.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull »

I thought the first half was a decent display. Mason and Walker stood out for me. However, if Annesley and Boyle are our 2 first choice centre half's this season, then we are in for a bumpy ride this year. And this thing of the CBs passing the ball to the keeper from kick outs needs to be put in the bin quickly, it will cost us loads of goals.
The big number 9 for Drogheda looked decent, he could get plenty of goals for them this year.
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

Cammy Elliot just nowhere near the standard required. Incredible that he got another year. The Dutch guy while a decent passer is not up to it physically.
I thought Annesley was ok. Muller was a lot worse in there.
Overall hard to judge on one performance but I would think we will be bottom half. If key players get injured we could be in a bit of bother.
Could Stevie not even fill the bench with u-19s or was it some sort of point scoring with the owner.

If that's our last friendly before the start then we are seriously undercooked yet again going into the season...is there another club so consistently underprepared as us?
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

colymull wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:28 pm I thought the first half was a decent display. Mason and Walker stood out for me. However, if Annesley and Boyle are our 2 first choice centre half's this season, then we are in for a bumpy ride this year. And this thing of the CBs passing the ball to the keeper from kick outs needs to be put in the bin quickly, it will cost us loads of goals.
The big number 9 for Drogheda looked decent, he could get plenty of goals for them this year.
Ah Colly walker is bang average
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Towelie »

Thought we looked alright in the first half. I've no idea where the goals are going to come from. Nice of Munro to pay tribute to Alessio Abbibi in the second half.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

colymull wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:28 pm I thought the first half was a decent display. Mason and Walker stood out for me. However, if Annesley and Boyle are our 2 first choice centre half's this season, then we are in for a bumpy ride this year. And this thing of the CBs passing the ball to the keeper from kick outs needs to be put in the bin quickly, it will cost us loads of goals.
Pierott was a big signing for Drogheda. i thought he'd end up at one of the European clubs.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

Looked very comfortable for the first 60 against a poor enough Drogheda side. The only chances they created were offside. Thought we moved the ball quite quickly and broke well. Plenty of pace in the team too which is good to see. After the first goal I felt we'd go on and get another one or two. I was thinking if one of the two new strikers clicks we'll do ok then bang brought back to reality by a clanger from the keeper.

We struggled badly then for the last 30. We look gassed and devoid of confidence and could barely get out of our half. If we play that badly against Rovers they could hockey us.

I'm very worried that our lack of preseason (again) will have is start very slowly and we will be looking back with regrets at the end of the season.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Have held back with this post as I left Oriel very disappointed to put it lightly last night. Plain and simple of it is ... it wasn’t good enough, performance nor tactics wise. Yet again we see defensive issues, almost as if nothing has been learned from the last 2-3 seasons. We have wingers in abundance however SOD and Garts didn’t see the need for a strong center back nor a hard as nails defensive midfielder to do the dirty work. Still time in the window, however based on last night we need at least 3-4 players .... a keeper, 1-2 center halves and a defensive midfielder or two. If the lads do not find them .... they may be looking for work shortly after Easter.

Needless to say, we will hear the same old as last season from SOD if anything at all, “players showed application bla bla” ...... however, it is wearing thin at this stage. Regardless of the ownership issues, the problems were known to all involved and should have been addressed.
Nice to see the toilets with locks on the doors and bog roll in them. Lets hope this is not another puddle job!
superman
Reserves
Reserves

Post by superman »

The pessimism around the team is palpable, and undeserved at this point.

We dominated the ball for the for the first 60 min, played all the football, then gassed out of it- it happens in preseason game. Thought we looked good going forward, with two very good wingers. Add a decent striker there, which hopefully either one of the new boys are, and there will be goals. Just beaten by two goals that were a bit of a freak.

A bit similar to Patching and Malley, but if that Dutch player could add some bite to his game when not having the ball , he would be a hell of a player. Hopefully, with game experience that will come. Calamitous by the keeper, but otherwise looked like he good command of his area - good to see him save the penalty, even if he conceded the follow up.

Elliot and Walker, and Annesley to a lesser extent, were the players you looked furthest from the standard.

Otherwise good run out ... But short of a two players (a CB and LB)
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand »

I thought it was a decent enough game and a decent enough performance for a pre-season friendly. Can't believe someone's giving out about the tactics in a friendly/Malone Cup/LSC game!

Some good passages of play, good to see the ball being moved quicker than last season. Keeper made one (big) mistake, otherwise he was fine. Would be worried about where the goals are going to come from, but maybe one of the 4 strikers will strike a vein of form. Paul Doyle was good, but you'd worry about the lack of cover in front of a defence that wouldn't really fill you with confidence.