Ground improvements

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Ground improvements

Post by Pepsi »

AMC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:34 pm The Mono Stand in Dalymount is the kind of thing we can strive towards, and is actually a realistic project at a €100k cost. It's a relatively small investment and would make quite a big difference to Oriel Park. We could construct a covered stand for the away fans with a similar capacity and hopefully at a similar cost. It's hard to know what the ROI would be but it would certainly boost the away attendance. We could also sell naming rights to the stand to help fund it, so there's reason to believe it would be a relatively economical decision. It would ease some of the pressure around how poor the state of the ground is (particularly the away end) and would tide us over nicely until plans for a full redevelopment are enacted, which I don't see happening in the near future.
Like your idea, however a few things which need to be considered.
  • If I am correctly informed such a stand has to be constructed on a solid underground. At the town end it would mean foundation works having to be done
  • If it is placed behind the Carrick Rd. end, again if I am correctly informed, the YDC cannot be used as the area behind the goal is classified as the emergency access for fire service etc.
  • Naming rights ... I would find it hard to believe a big player would put their name on Oriel or a stand due to the condition the place is in. Would have to be a local company with links to the club ... or a wealthy fan who does it as a vanity project. Maybe FastFix Oriel after a lick of paint!
I am all for getting the place in shape, however there have been murmurs from within the club for some time that there are still (planning) issues with the YDC which have to be cleared up. Added to this, we desperately need new floodlights and a pitch .... then maybe toilets .... seats in the stand ..... then we can start looking at away stands. The basics have to be got right first and the club need time to correct 30 odd years of neglect. Rome wasnt built in a day.

On another note ..... had (potential) councillors canvassing at my door earlier .... now is time for fans and their families to tighten the screws on these lads. Make it clear votes depend on their support for Oriel revamp and youth football facilities for DFC. Time for them to earn their votes, GAA have been doing it for years.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

AMC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:34 pm The Mono Stand in Dalymount is the kind of thing we can strive towards, and is actually a realistic project at a €100k cost. It's a relatively small investment and would make quite a big difference to Oriel Park. We could construct a covered stand for the away fans with a similar capacity and hopefully at a similar cost. It's hard to know what the ROI would be but it would certainly boost the away attendance. We could also sell naming rights to the stand to help fund it, so there's reason to believe it would be a relatively economical decision. It would ease some of the pressure around how poor the state of the ground is (particularly the away end) and would tide us over nicely until plans for a full redevelopment are enacted, which I don't see happening in the near future.
Would enhance the opinion on Oriel park greatly, if we had one of these stands behind both goals. Running the length of the end line.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. »

Mono stand is 450 capacity. If it cost €100k then at €15 a ticket it would pay for itself after 15 games if at full capacity.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

I see a new Dalymount on the way . Not before time .
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Dalymount was first mentioned in 2011 for redevelopment. They'll get it done for 2027 ,but planning and getting approval is very slow in Ireland. Finn Harps started work on their stadium over 15 years ago and it has been halted since. They are expected to get funding next week.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Piece today on the Finn Harps stadium

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=4dfa074c ... RtbA&ntb=1
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

I’m sure our new owner Brian Ainscough was impressed by Tallaght Stadium . This is the template for the future of the game .
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

I see the Minister for Sport Catherine Martin was at Galway Utd . ground last week . I wonder could the local politicians invite her to Oriel . 150 mill allocated . I have already lobbied a Minister & I suggest it might be worth getting on to local politicians. I hear LCC are not worth lobbying .
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Nice to see the new wheelchair section behind the town goal, probably needs to be covered but its a good start.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

mike wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:44 pm Nice to see the new wheelchair section behind the town goal, probably needs to be covered but its a good start.
I did wonder about that. There were still quite a number of people at the usual spot inside the wall.
Last edited by oldfogey on Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull »

Johnnybegood33 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:01 pm I see the Minister for Sport Catherine Martin was at Galway Utd . ground last week . I wonder could the local politicians invite her to Oriel . 150 mill allocated . I have already lobbied a Minister & I suggest it might be worth getting on to local politicians. I hear LCC are not worth lobbying .
Our local Sinn Fein TD stands close to me in OP every home match, so he knows first hand, like the rest of us, what needs to be done. He's the one I'll be lobbying when he knocks my door. Although I fully expect a generic politicians answer!!!
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

It's a good start, also noticed there seems to be a cleanup at FT .. Also good to see the programme continue as well, last crowd tried to scrap it afaik?
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Would it have been an idea maybe to look to re-install the disabled section to the terrace area infront of the away dugout? It was in the similar section behind home dugout in front of stand for euro games before.

At least if they use this area its covered, I know St John's Ambulance use the area behind away dugout, but they can't need all of that area?

It will be obv closer to away fans, but there is a barrier.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

mike wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:55 am Would it have been an idea maybe to look to re-install the disabled section to the terrace area infront of the away dugout? It was in the similar section behind home dugout in front of stand for euro games before.

At least if they use this area its covered, I know St John's Ambulance use the area behind away dugout, but they can't need all of that area?

It will be obv closer to away fans, but there is a barrier.
Because of the players tunnel, any structure needs to be fully self contained within the footprint of the terrace in question. That means using a substantial amount of the area for a
gently sloping ramp. The tunnel is down during halftime which means people would unable to go anywhere. I would imagine the new one was built with the potential for a cover at some point further down the line. Most of the people in the old area inside the wall weren't protected from the rain anyway, unless the wind was from the north.
Last edited by oldfogey on Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Lobby for a new stadium . 50 years later .