Dundalk v Galway Utd | League Round 02 | Friday 23 February 19.45

Forum to discuss home games

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk v Galway Utd | League Round 02 | Friday 23 February 19.45

Post by GC. »

That was dire. Problem was no central midfield from the start, and it wasn’t addressed. SOD spent half the time conferring with his subs about things that happened on the pitch rather than watching what was happening. I never saw a manager turn his back on the match so often. There was no urgency in the team, whereas Galway did an excellent job of closing down. You’d hope that things could only improve from that, but I’ll remain consistent as per the last couple of seasons and say that we don’t have the manager to bring us on.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Galway were waiting in the long grass for us since last week. Looked like we believed our own hype and only had to turn up to win. The smallest man on the pitch wins a header between our 2 centre backs ffs. Fair play to Caulfield and Ollie, Galway were set up properly .They chased everything and didn’t give us any time on the ball. However, benson and Horgan really fluffed their lines when they just had the keeper to beat. To be honest , I’m quite worried after that display
Goliath
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Goliath »

2-0 and easily could have been more , beaten by a team that was well organised and each player knew their role , that Galway team will surprise a few teams this season, no great individual players but all athletic strong lads who put in a shift.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Goliath wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:23 pm 2-0 and easily could have been more , beaten by a team that was well organised and each player knew their role , that Galway team will surprise a few teams this season, no great individual players but all athletic strong lads who put in a shift.
They’ll get beaten next week. We made them look good.
Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 »

Am I surprised, no. When the manager appoints a player that’s not even fit enough to make the bench as club captain you have to wonder is there a leader at the club. Same rubbish as last year no shape or formation with the panic subs in the second half. I’m still slightly optimistic with the squad but something has to change.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:13 am
Goliath wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:23 pm 2-0 and easily could have been more , beaten by a team that was well organised and each player knew their role , that Galway team will surprise a few teams this season, no great individual players but all athletic strong lads who put in a shift.
Agreed. I didn't think they were up to a whole lot.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
Goliath
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Goliath »

The standard of this league last couple of seasons has been really poor , so you dont really have to be up to a lot to get results , just plain organisation and lads willing to put in a shift.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

They are playing at home next week so will be difficult to beat. Galway should have got something against Pats in the first game.

Unlikely to be brushed aside like Drogheda were last night.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Well you always learn something in defeat , we need full backs & a Centre forward .The two goals they got were Mickey Mouse. If we want success we need an air tight defence . Dundalk always had stone wall defences , it starts at the back. On a posit I’ve note sell out crowds in Tolka , Dalymount . There is a long way to go . I expect to see Galway & Waterford right up at the top of the table . It will be a very competitive League. Most teams are capable of beating each other , we have to be ready , every game will be a Cup Final . Comn the Town .Stevie said it is transition , both himself & Brian Gartland & our new owner Brian Ainscough will be up for the challenge .
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Louth4sam wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:54 am
Agreed. I didn't think they were up to a whole lot.
Dreadful game, really low quality, Galway were very average I thought, caught us out twice, could have been 'trice' that chance second half.

That said they deserved to win, we got what we deserved, nothing, it was even obvious at HT there was no coming back, and that was the major disappointment.

Anyway that's football..................
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

It is hard to believe that this was the same team that gave everything and performed so well last week. Galway were just well organised with a good work ethic so please don’t build them up to be anymore than that. Caulfield is a decent experienced manager and it showed in the set up of his team. Like most of you out there I am very fond of Stevie for what he has done as a player and his love for the club but sometimes you just have to put that to one side and judge him purely as a manager. He has been talking about “transition” since he took the job. However you look at it, he has signed most of these players with Brian’s help and he needs to get a tune out of them. He has appointed a Captain, leader on the pitch, whatever you want to call him that has a recent history of being injury prone. Another legend of a player who will probably not feature very often on the pitch. In short. We need to forget all of the nostalgia and judge Stevie on his managerial ability rather than his legendary status. He could start by appointing a Captain who will likely play every week. He could focus more on his in game management and on being more flexible to change when things are obviously not working. I also think that he is learning his trade on the job at one of the biggest clubs in the league and in honesty, that should not be so. I have never been one to call for a managers head but I do think if he is the one for us, he needs an old wise head beside him. A final word, the players also need to wise up. If anyone of them honestly believe that the performances against Galway were good enough then God help us. I purposely, waited 24 hours before writing this because of frustration, but fearing a repeat of last season I needed to get it off my chest. Last week proved that we have the makings of a team, Friday night was like night and day. C’mon the town.