2024 General Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2024 General Thread

Post by oldfogey »

Martin Connolly gone with immediate effect....

https://twitter.com/LMFMRADIO/status/17 ... 2BFoQ&s=19
Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek »

Is this good or bad news ?
Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 »

Depends on who’s brought in. Hopefully it’s someone who can move the club forward, so I’d be happier to see a fresh face coming in.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Alanek wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:07 pm Is this good or bad news ?
It will give a new CEO/MD a clean slate to work off and a chance to implement new structures. Change is a good thing .... might bring new ideas to the table.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

It's a very tough one. I like Martin and personally I'm sad to see him go. He was very approachable and helped me out above and beyond at an away euro trip. However, as the COO there are a lot of small things that could be fixed with very little effort that if I was a new owner I know I'd be annoyed with and asking plenty of questions.

Very important appointment now.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
dundog21
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by dundog21 »

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Martin.
GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. »

I think it was only a matter of time that he left when a new owner came in, but the tweet from the club makes it sound like something happened. I think the use of ‘immediate effect’ is odd or even off.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

GC. wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:17 am I think it was only a matter of time that he left when a new owner came in, but the tweet from the club makes it sound like something happened. I think the use of ‘immediate effect’ is odd or even off.
We would like to thank Martin for his services and we wish him the very best of luck in the future.
Absolute minimum acknowledgement - and only one level up from saying nothing at all. Irrespective of what may have happened, this is disconcerting considering the service Martin has given to the club, especially during the tough times over the last 5 years. This isn't Gavin's handwriting.

I'm trying to suppress a feeling of deja vu where a previous owner "cancelled" anybody involved in running the club. Not a good idea when you appear to have bought the club with Sean Connolly style promises of millions. And we all know how that ended. This will do nothing to calm the nerves of the already restless natives.
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

I think given Martin gave two decades or more of service to the club that they at least could've come up with 100 or 200 words outlining his achievements and thanking him for the thankless time and effort he's given to the club over the years. The "statement" was insulting to any fan who has had dealings with Martin over the years, and completely tone deaf. Obviously it was sudden and probably not a mutual decision, but at the very least read the room and acknowledge the affection that much of the fanbase and the town has for the man rather than setting off alarm bells in the heads of a fanbase that doesn't have to look too far back to see how this all played out before.

I think it was inevitable that a new owner was going to bring big changes and from an operational point of view it makes sense that Ainscough would want someone he knows in what is such an important role in the club. They've got big shoes to fill and a huge job of work ahead of them. The handling of this likely only increases the pressure of any incoming COO to deliver and show the owner has made the right choice.
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

So fans have been critical of the running of the club for years, ie the operations, and the man on the ground with ultimate responsibility for operations leaves, and that's a bad thing. Gotcha
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

I didn’t state either which way whether it was a good or a bad move as I think only time will tell whether that’s true or not. I just think it could’ve been handled better. People are entitled not to like the man and question how good or not he was at his job but fact remains he was a pivotal cog in what was the guts of a decade of dominance. Can question his delivery but no denying his passion or love for the club and his want to see it do well
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

I just think he's an employee leaving a job, its not an obituary and further comment is unnecessary in my opinion.

I also wouldn't be a fan of the long-winded tributes to players that have decided that they no longer want to play for the club. Thanks for the memories and all the best is enough.
Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:37 am So fans have been critical of the running of the club for years, ie the operations, and the man on the ground with ultimate responsibility for operations leaves, and that's a bad thing. Gotcha
In one
TrevDaRev2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by TrevDaRev2 »

Ah will ya stop if you're gonna compare it to a player leaving its like someone giving you a decade of service with a couple of trophies peppered throughout, and you generally acknowledge that fact on their way out the door. I don't think it needed an essay either just was unneccessairly blunt in my opinion
dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 »

TrevDaRev2 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:58 am Ah will ya stop if you're gonna compare it to a player leaving its like someone giving you a decade of service with a couple of trophies peppered throughout, and you generally acknowledge that fact on their way out the door. I don't think it needed an essay either just was unneccessairly blunt in my opinion
Fair enough, just a difference of opinions, you say service, I say paid employment.