2024 General Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2024 General Thread

Post by colymull »

It's also possible that Martin walked into the office yesterday morning and handed in his notice. And perhaps the club said he could leave straight away. I'm not saying this is the case, but, as they say, there's two sides...

Edit: I've just seen this report and it says he was pushed!!!

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/lout ... 66703.html
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

It's 3 months into the reign. Maybe some standards weren't being met. There was criticism after the pre season game against Longford, with the general upkeep of Oriel Park. It hadn't been power washed and the owners seat was loose.
StevieR88
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by StevieR88 »

dundalkfc1903 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:37 am So fans have been critical of the running of the club for years, ie the operations, and the man on the ground with ultimate responsibility for operations leaves, and that's a bad thing. Gotcha
Exactly this. We’ve not progressed whatsoever in the last number of years and truth be told, the owners before peak6 and MC were able to hide behind SK and nobody questioned anything off the field because of the on field success.

Also, surely it’s a possibility that BA just wanted MC around until he got to know the place and now feels he is ready to take in his own staff. I felt we needed a clean slate and fresh faces with fresh ideas. Hopefully it’s the start of a complete refresh with the academy being a priority.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

Yes , 100 % agree , it looks like the new owner needs a clean slate , if we are to take Oriel Park up to a proper standard & play European games at home instead of Tallaght . The club has been stagnant for 50 years , what does that say ? . It’s an indictment on those connected with the club . I have been saying for a long time now , move in the bulldozers .In fact those connected with the club , have held the club back .
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

I think first and foremost the thing to look at here is the job loss, when that happens and at any level its not good news.

Regardless what anyone thinks of how anyone performed, or if they think it was right or wrong for a change to happen, and for the employee who may have liked what they did, the end result is still the same, its a job loss and that can be a hard place, happened to me a few times in my career.

MC will have built up good experience, no reason he can't look to do that role at another club, Up North even who knows.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

mike wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:21 am I think first and foremost the thing to look at here is the job loss, when that happens and at any level its not good news.

Regardless what anyone thinks of how anyone performed, or if they think it was right or wrong for a change to happen, and for the employee who may have liked what they did, the end result is still the same, its a job loss and that can be a hard place, happened to me a few times in my career.

MC will have built up good experience, no reason he can't look to do that role at another club, Up North even who knows.
I agree with you on this Mike. MC should be left some space.

At the end of the day, the owner will want his own people on the ground regardless of if we agree or not, he has bought a club to run as a business and from what I see he is trying to do it. MC was by far his brothers eyes and ears within the club during Andys 2 stints as owner and both profited very well from it I am sure. MC was held in very high accord within the FAI and some years ago I heard his name being linked to GAA circles, so I am sure and hope the man will find a new position very soon doing something he loves.
Over the next 2-3 months we will see what BA is planning to take to the table .... the next appointment within Oriel will be vital. I must admit, MC sudden departure has lead to be to ask myself, how long will Brian hold onto SOD if things do not improve. He seems to be a man with a plan .....
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

I wonder if Paul Johnston is worth a shout to replace Martin? Ainscough seems to be friendly with him from what we know
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Philistine wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:49 pm I wonder if Paul Johnston is worth a shout to replace Martin? Ainscough seems to be friendly with him from what we know
I would have no contact with Paul since he left the club, but any time we crossed paths I know that he was very happy working with Statsports. Oriel Park is an uncaring mistress and demands your attention 24/7. He saw the club through the introduction of FAI licencing and the return of European football to OP after 20 years, along with the introduction of engagement with the community and the establishment of proper administration behind the scenes. These things set the foundation to support what Stephen Kenny went on to achieve on the field. Now isn't exactly the time to go back, if ever.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

What’s the Fan Hub app about? Is it popular and worth downloading or something for younger fans?
Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco »

oldfogey wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:11 am
Philistine wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:49 pm I wonder if Paul Johnston is worth a shout to replace Martin? Ainscough seems to be friendly with him from what we know
I would have no contact with Paul since he left the club, but any time we crossed paths I know that he was very happy working with Statsports. Oriel Park is an uncaring mistress and demands your attention 24/7. He saw the club through the introduction of FAI licencing and the return of European football to OP after 20 years, along with the introduction of engagement with the community and the establishment of proper administration behind the scenes. These things set the foundation to support what Stephen Kenny went on to achieve on the field. Now isn't exactly the time to go back, if ever.
Heard today that it was Peter Halpin that was going to take Martin's role
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Shoco wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:23 am
Interesting development if true, especially as I believe Peter's background is in Sports Sponsorship. Isn't the new Commercial Manager a former employee?
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

oldfogey wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:45 am
Shoco wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:23 am

Interesting development if true, especially as I believe Peter's background is in Sports Sponsorship. Isn't the new Commercial Manager a former employee?
My understanding is that she works for Peter and is focussing completely on getting Dundalk FC deals in. I may be wrong, but that was my understanding. I would doubt Peter would be able to do both the general manager job at DFC and run his own company, unless of course he has put money into BA project and feels his expertise will help make his investment worthwhile. I would still expect a full time manager to be appointed and it is no surprise that the name I have heard would have been involved with BA in Kerry.
Johnnybegood33
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnnybegood33 »

An excellent appointment . Good luck Peter , time to leave your mark & make a difference. The place has been crying out for a major upgrade . It’s all looking very positive . Cmon the Town .👍
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Shelbourne 7pts from 9. Galway won again. Hoban will score lots for Derry.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

Richie87 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:58 pm Shelbourne 7pts from 9. Galway won again. Hoban will score lots for Derry.
Yea , pity he didn’t play like that for the last few months in Oriel