2024 General Thread

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Re: 2024 General Thread

Post by Hull White »

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:58 pm
Richie87 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:58 pm Shelbourne 7pts from 9. Galway won again. Hoban will score lots for Derry.
Yea , pity he didn’t play like that for the last few months in Oriel
Maybe because he was surrounded by players of dubious ability! If you supply a fella like Pat in this league he will get you goals.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

McMullan and Duffy are very good wingers. Kelly is capable too when he stays on his feet. Hoban was still second top scorer in the league last season in a team going through the motions.
Oriel O'Shea
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Oriel O'Shea »

Richie87 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:58 pm Shelbourne 7pts from 9. Galway won again. Hoban will score lots for Derry.
Ah here lets not rewrite the past. Of his last 5 games he didn't start two presumably after being told he wasn't wanted anymore, he still scored 3 goals and came on and won us that game vs Bohs with assists. A big big gamble from footballing side of the club to not build the team around him for the next year or two by offering a contract extension or simply by not telling him hes not part of future plans and instead sign Horgan on presumably more money 6 months prior and pay a fee for gullan who you'd assume is collecting decent wages too.

Hoban firing already with good players around him maybe the new Dundalk players will do the same. Time will tell but hinting Pat a legend of our club threw the towel in the last few months is just incorrect
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

I'm really split on this re Hoban, before I make my argument I would have kept him but things obv got out of control.

One side

If the alleged row is true between SOD and PH is correct, it would seem SOD saw him as surplus.
Seems a pretty ill judged choice now given he has 2 in 3 and odds on for Top Scorer, plus he bullied Pats defence last 20 in the TV game last night, the decision to offload seems even more bizarre now.

Other side

He was very disappointing in europe overall, and especially away in Gibraltar a game I was at, away in Iceland is another game that just drifted by for him, offered very little.
A lot of his goals in 2023 were pens, yes he was coming back from injury, but did he really lead games as an out and out striker, not sure he did, that said his sub v Bohs last home game of last season turned the game, his hold up play second to none.

Another side

Did his agent engineer his move, 'lets get you out of here Pat'

My view

Brilliant player for Dundalk in 2 spells, won 3 titles and 2 cups, what a legend.
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Mike I can assure you 110% it had nothing to do with his agent.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Ok fair enough Pepsi, you think then SOD v PH ? As it was not on wages.
magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle »

Pepsi wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:16 pm Mike I can assure you 110% it had nothing to do with his agent.
Well that's me convinced...
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

mike wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:45 pm
I'm really split on this re Hoban, before I make my argument I would have kept him but things obv got out of control.

One side

If the alleged row is true between SOD and PH is correct, it would seem SOD saw him as surplus.
Seems a pretty ill judged choice now given he has 2 in 3 and odds on for Top Scorer, plus he bullied Pats defence last 20 in the TV game last night, the decision to offload seems even more bizarre now.

Other side

He was very disappointing in europe overall, and especially away in Gibraltar a game I was at, away in Iceland is another game that just drifted by for him, offered very little.
A lot of his goals in 2023 were pens, yes he was coming back from injury, but did he really lead games as an out and out striker, not sure he did, that said his sub v Bohs last home game of last season turned the game, his hold up play second to none.

Another side

My view

Brilliant player for Dundalk in 2 spells, won 3 titles and 2 cups, what a legend.
The game in Gibraltar was played in 30+ degrees. A hard job for Job Hoban to be leading the line. He probaly could have done better in Iceland, but I think he had a niggle going into that game.

If Derry get Colm Whelan back to full fitness they have potentially the 2 best strikers in the League.
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

Richie87 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:47 pm
mike wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:45 pm

One side

Other side

Another side

My view

The game in Gibraltar was played in 30+ degrees. A hard job for Hoban to be leading the line. He probaly could have done better in Iceland, but I think he had a niggle going into that game.

If Derry get Colm Whelan back to full fitness they have potentially the 2 best strikers in the League.
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

Pepsi wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:16 pm Mike I can assure you 110% it had nothing to do with his agent.
Outrageous comment of the year goes to .....
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Philistine wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:34 pm
You obviously know what went on then and can explain it to everyone. I know what I was told by someone close to PH and it certainly makes sense. Not the first time it was tried either, last time Bill had to step in, this time it was too late for our new owner to change anything. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Pepsi wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:34 am
You obviously know what went on then and can explain it to everyone. I know what I was told by someone close to PH and it certainly makes sense. Not the first time it was tried either, last time Bill had to step in, this time it was too late for our new owner to change anything. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.
I can't claim to have any inside information from either side. I would say that "sources close to" Pat Hoban are always going to try to blame the club. What is a fact is that he was still under contract, and the owner expected him to stay. Whether the initial discussion (pre takeover) was about trying to balance the books, or about his role in the side for 2024, it does appear that this became a personal issue for Pat. Given his personality, I would venture the opinion that he will feel he has something to prove, and you will see better of him in a Derry shirt than you would have in Oriel Park. He wouldn't be the first player - and won't be the last - to leave a club under less than ideal terms, and go on to try and rejuvenate his career. It's human nature.
Philistine
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Philistine »

Told by a fellah who knows a fellah who knows another fellah or was it the agent spouting utter bollocks?
Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi »

Philistine wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:30 pm

Told by a fellah who knows a fellah who knows another fellah or was it the agent spouting utter bollocks?
Nothing about a fellah who knows a fellah ... as you put it. It was someone close to him .... someone who should know and someone I have no reason to doubt. Yesterday evening a very similar version was told to me by the father of one of our players.
Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 »

https://x.com/big_shields6/status/17649 ... t2pvQV3tuo

Who is he talking about do you reckon?