Attendances 2023

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Attendances 2023

Post by seand »

It's definitely worth considering increasing the away capacity but I don't see how it can be done practically. The away end has it's only entrance, there's not really scope to bring them around to part of the shed side and there nowhere else to put them. I'm not sure how many times the away end will sell out anyway tbh.
cooney
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cooney »

All pie in the sky stuff but the only likely solution is a temp stand like what was setup for league cup final / cork deciders with additional portaloos/cabins like the shed side

All money though, maybe the new additional potential investors hopefully will be wealthy oil barons
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Dundalk as a football town is a fallacy. We have a core of 1500 fans who will attend no matter what. Then as can be seen in major European games and cup finals we have another 1500- 3000 big event junkies who will climb onto the coat tails of the band wagon. Dundalk is a huge football town of barstoolers who support their EPL and SPL sides across the water every weekend. If they supported their home town side with the same gusto, we would be close to selling Oriel out every weekend which would allow us to talk about developing Oriel with the additional income generated.
I think there is genuine disdain or lack of motivation from previous regimes to promote match nights in Oriel. Feels like apathy and a mindset of sure if they come they come. Hopefully this mindset will change now.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey »

Pepsi wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:37 am
carrickfan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:52 pm Having a different opinion makes you a troll? If so that’s fine. I’m supporting Dundalk since the 80’s and i can count on one hand the amount of nights we’ve sold out oriel park since. Thinking differently is what’s required in order to change that.

Two Dublin clubs have announced limited availability today ahead of their games this weekend, we haven’t sold out since the Cork finale in 2014. Why are Dublin clubs selling out, because they’ve a larger fanbase. Why have they a larger fanbase? Don’t say facilities because it doesn’t apply to Tolka & Richmond, they’ve a larger fanbase because of great marketing. They’ve created a demand built on a frenzy around scarcity for tickets, watch pats and shels announce limited tickets available this weekend and see the fans clamour for tickets in fear of missing out. If Bohs or Rovers got 1000 tickets for oriel and sold them, what would Dundalk fans do knowing tickets were limited to 3500?

Build it any they’ll come? Create the demand first…
Very well said. There is a general belief that if there is a new ground built that people will be fighting to get in. Reality is, that may be the case for the first 3-4 games and then it will be back to our average attendances. From an investors persepective a ground has to be paid for and maintained, as it stands we have one of the lowest attendances in the LOI for a so called football town. Hard facts and time for people to take their heads out of the sand ... would any of you invest your private money into the development of anything most likely knowing you will never get a return before starting?
At the 2022 Census the population of Dundalk was around 43k. Dublin City & Suburbs was around 1.25M.

You can build and market til the cows come home, but you have to be realistic in terms of what is achievable.

It's not often Pepsi and I agree, but anyone putting money into Oriel Park has to be using disposable income. If you spend €5M you have no chance of getting it back in the future, unless someone else is prepared - and has the funds - to buy you out.
Last edited by oldfogey on Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
carrickfan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by carrickfan »

Yes agreed the local population is a factor but with the population of Louth being 140k split between 2 LOI clubs, this is equivalent to the population of Tallaght at 70k. Plus Dundalk draws support from Newry, Carrickmacross, Castleblayney and other surrounding towns in bordering counties. Anyway, the point I was making is we need to build the fanbase and I admire the way the some Dublin clubs have been doing it by creating the impression of ticket scarcity and generating an occasion, it’s thinking differently.
AMC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by AMC »

The attendance tonight was 2,458, which I find a little odd. The attendance for the Louth derby should not be below the average attendance for the last two years (2023: 2,636, 2022: 2,689). It's also somewhat concerning that our average attendance has been on the slide for the past few years. It has been 2,372 so far this season. I get that it's a rough period for the club and the atmosphere has been gloomy so far this season, but I would expect better. The poor facilities explain it to some extent, but it doesn't explain it fully, as Drogheda's attendances have grown much more over the last number of years (admittedly from a smaller base). We have the second lowest attendance in the Premier Division, only behind capacity constrained Drogheda, who now own the freehold to their ground and are making plans for a new stadium. I get that the Dublin clubs can draw from a larger population pool, but I'm surprised we haven't benefited to some extent from the growth in the popularity of the league over the last few years.
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Dundalk is a big event town so if club doing well they will support it. When we aren't going well they find an easy excuse not to go. Dundalk is a football town for EPL and SPL that's it. We have a core fan base of about 1800. The rest are fair weather. Factor in the weather prior to ko was miserable and also factor in the rubbish 1pm ko. Also the facilities are dire. Unless in stand or shed who wants to stand in the rain or sit in a wet seat uncovered against the elements. Oriel is a very very poor spectator friendly facility. As bad as hunky dory park is at least away fans have a roof over their heads in the cow shed. We are the only club that hasn't seen attendances grow post COVID. You have to ask why? Apart from all of the above, what else is stopping people attending?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam »

AMC wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:52 pm The attendance tonight was 2,458, which I find a little odd. The attendance for the Louth derby should not be below the average attendance for the last two years (2023: 2,636, 2022: 2,689). It's also somewhat concerning that our average attendance has been on the slide for the past few years. It has been 2,372 so far this season. I get that it's a rough period for the club and the atmosphere has been gloomy so far this season, but I would expect better. The poor facilities explain it to some extent, but it doesn't explain it fully, as Drogheda's attendances have grown much more over the last number of years (admittedly from a smaller base). We have the second lowest attendance in the Premier Division, only behind capacity constrained Drogheda, who now own the freehold to their ground and are making plans for a new stadium. I get that the Dublin clubs can draw from a larger population pool, but I'm surprised we haven't benefited to some extent from the growth in the popularity of the league over the last few years.
Hatches had run out of a couple of types of tickets just before kick off so would imagine attendance was a bit higher than announced.

You have to factor weather in too. If that game was dry and mild you would have a lot more families at the game. Who's going to bring their kids up just to get soaked
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020
AMC
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by AMC »

The state of the ground is without question the biggest factor holding back our attendance, but those are valid points re the weather and kick off time. I think every club has fans who only show up sporadically to be fair. We just need to create more of a draw to grow our core fan base who attend week in week out. Obviously getting our ground up to scratch is the most effective way of doing this. But the more I think about it the less confident I am we should stick with the current site at Oriel Park. Firstly, because we do not seem to be able to resolve the issue around the freehold of the ground. Perhaps it is possible but it seems as though virtually no progress has been made on this for years. And secondly, because I have my doubts the site actually has enough space for a proper redevelopment. Worth noting that BA said in an interview that the pitch is too small and needs to be increased in size to be suitable for a Category 3/4 stadium. I am pretty sure the pitch is 5 metres too short and 3 metres too narrow, so if we enlarge the pitch it will eat into the little space we have available on all sides. I don't want us to leave Oriel Park, it's in a great location and we have played there for almost a century, but unless we get the ownership sorted and we're confident there's sufficient space there for a redevelopment we don't exactly have any alternative.