2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, eamoss, Gearóid Bellew

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: 2024 | Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by mike »

Philistine wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:44 pm
Dillonman wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:16 pm Sam bone apparently joining shels on an 18 month deal. A player who could possibly do a job for us!
Was useless for us, need to build a new squad with new players, not brining back lads who weren't good enough 2 years ago ffs
Not saying I wanted Bone back, although I still think he could do a job, but I think that's a little harsh, he had some very good games for us.
Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Towelie »

Graham Gartland on LOI said that he turned down the Assistant Manager job. Be curious to see who gets the job.
Shelveyville
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Shelveyville »

Towelie wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:12 pm Graham Gartland on LOI said that he turned down the Assistant Manager job. Be curious to see who gets the job.
Shame, he could have made a start with some penalty drills!
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Hold on Graham Gartland turned down AM with us ?

Really, this is not a guy I would have liked to have at the club, not for me and a near miss if true.

Christ
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:28 pm
mike wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:14 pm
Hull White wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:10 am You obviously never saw Tootsie, John Murphy, Jackie McManus, Martin Lawlor or Eamonn Gregg?
Not to mention Tommy Mc, RF from 76-81, then moved into centre and won the league the following season (partnering Dunning) after Keely moved to Glentoran, summer of 81*

*A move Keely said he always regretted, mentioned in his newspaper article once, playing for Glentoran is a minor cup game, the same night 18k at the 1-1 DFC v Spurs draw in oriel!

Anyway Rossiter was a fine player, but no disrespect, there would have been 10 possibly 15 better than him in full DFC era at full backs.
Everyone forgetting Dane Massey. Excellent defender for us. Right up there with the best fullbacks to play for us imho.
Good shout Niall! Tommy Mac was superb wherever he played. Still the best I ever saw in the LOI! Sometimes when you look back you realise what a great club we were, are and will always be!
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 »

Hull White wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:26 am
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:28 pm
mike wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:14 pm

Not to mention Tommy Mc, RF from 76-81, then moved into centre and won the league the following season (partnering Dunning) after Keely moved to Glentoran, summer of 81*

*A move Keely said he always regretted, mentioned in his newspaper article once, playing for Glentoran is a minor cup game, the same night 18k at the 1-1 DFC v Spurs draw in oriel!

Anyway Rossiter was a fine player, but no disrespect, there would have been 10 possibly 15 better than him in full DFC era at full backs.
Everyone forgetting Dane Massey. Excellent defender for us. Right up there with the best fullbacks to play for us imho.
Good shout Niall! Tommy Mac was superb wherever he played. Still the best I ever saw in the LOI! Sometimes when you look back you realise what a great club we were, are and will always be!
I'm of the age that saw Tommy play for Dundalk. My favourite fullback of my generation however was hulk. Tough as nails no nonsense defender who would put you through the wall. In fact he'd tackle the wall. But of the last 12 years for me the best 2 signings we made were Gannon and Massey. Treated very badly in the end by Peak 6.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Gannon, Boyle, Gartland, and Massey , what a line up, only for Seani Maguire would have won 6 titles in a row, still 5 out of 6 wasn't too bad !
Richie87
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Richie87 »

mike wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:25 pm Gannon, Boyle, Gartland, and Massey , what a line up, only for Seani Maguire would have won 6 titles in a row, still 5 out of 6 wasn't too bad !
A Dublin back 4. If Dundalk have success again in the League ideally you'd want a few local players, but they would have to be good enough too.
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

Best defence we ever had was as follows:-

In goal, Richard Blackmore, right full, Tom MacConville, Centre Halves, Dermot Keely and Paddy Dunning with Martin Lawlor at left back and I would back that defence against any forward line in the history of the League of Ireland bar none.
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike »

Its a good argument to make and I grew up watching that team / defence too. However v 2014-2019 teams that era retained the league title 3 times (2015, 2016 and 2019).

It was one minor 'flaw' of the McLaughlin era, they never retained a title, plus they were part time players too v FT set up from around 2015, but the McLaughlin era had equally as good if not better euro results. The 0-0 and 1-1 home draws v Celtic and Spurs in 79 and 81 were just outstanding results, two massive clubs and in the case of 81 with Spurs, this was when the FA Cup winners was just below the league winners in prestige.
Hull White
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Hull White »

McLaughlins teams played against far superior teams in Europe as part timers. Eindhoven, Porto, Hadjuk Split, Liverpool, Celtic, Spurs etc and we’re not disgraced very often. The recent teams at Dundalk had the benefit of full time training, support staff, medical staff and analysts etc. Kenny’s teams were brilliant but some of the opposition in Europe we faced due to seedlings were not that much better than us with the exception of the Bate games were we really showed our mettle. It is always hard to judge teams from different era’s against each other but it probably suffices to say that the teams from the Fox, MacLaughlin and Kenny Eras were all superb and I class myself as privileged to have watched all three eras live. Hence, all my favourite players are spread over the 3 eras. Hasty, Stokes, Fox, Hannigan, Callan, Tootsie, Hale, O’Connor, Turner, Blount, both McConvilles, Keely, MacDowell, Dunning, both Lawlors, Kehoe, Pop, Hilda, Dainty, Cavanagh, Blackmore, Sean Gannon, Boyle, Horgan, Duffy, MacEleaney, Shields, Davy Mac, SOD, Garts and Hoban.
Midfield11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Midfield11 »

All the players mentioned so far were top drawer players but for me the two Scott’s of mcNulty and Coll were two of the most entertaining players to watch, they gave everything for the jersey and took no crap on the pitch, pure entertainment.
Philistine
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Philistine »

Democrat reporting Zak Bradshaw has gone back to Lincoln, thought he was here for Waterford game so that's a huge blow
Towelie
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Towelie »

Between ourselves and Drogheda for Wardy apparently
inflikted
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by inflikted »

Philistine wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:40 pm Democrat reporting Zak Bradshaw has gone back to Lincoln, thought he was here for Waterford game so that's a huge blow
If Annesley can come in and play for Dundalk like he did against Scotland and Wales the other week, should be fine. But pressure's on him to prove he can do it with the transfer window now open.