Certain element of our fan base.

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Certain element of our fan base.

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:35 pm

I posted the following on the 1903 facebook page but it appears to be an elephant in the room over there. So back here where free expression is accepted i'll post it here. They say it is nothing to do with them, which it isn't, but as i said, they can clearly call it out it for what it is. Ignoring it won't make it go away.

I'd like to comment on a certain element of our fan base especially last night v Bohs. The vast majority of dundalk fans are great, but a certain element bring great shame to our club and by association the rest of our genuine fans. An absolute disgrace with the flares. Throwing it out on the pitch and almost hitting Peter Cherrie on the head with it. And having glass beer btls.. When will they start throwing them onto the pitch? How many flares last night? How much in lost revenue due to fines from the FAI. Enough is enough. Time to call them out on it, which a lot of genuine fans did last night, myself included. Will it take somebody being scarred for life, for the club to act? This will turn fans away especially those with young children.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Certain element of our fan base.

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:51 pm

With all the drama at the end , I’d forgotten about that. Pretty disgraceful behaviour (and embarrassing for us all)that the ref actually had to stop the game because some so called DFC supporters decided throw flares on top of Peter Cherrie!
We’ve ( as have some other clubs) always had this element follow the club. Although to be fair I don’t remember Harps, Sligo or Derry fans to name just 3 ever acting like this in Oriel.
Did any of the other fans challenge these pricks and what was their reaction?

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 pm

I'm surprised that there hasn't been many comments on this because such behaviour has the capacity to inflict serious harm to the club.
LOI and RTE commentators, while working out of Oriel, have commented on their inability to see due to the flares and smoke bombs. One commentator said he had difficulty in breathing. Would you work in those conditions? I wouldn't.
Where is security in all this? The perpatrators are easily identified - one of them even had his photo in the national press. Why are they not thrown out and kept out? True fans will not behave like this.
To Peak6 I say this: You have a duty of care towards me and all others who pay to enter Oriel Park. We have the right to safety. You fail us in this right. (You fail us in many other aspects, but that's another matter). What are you going to do about it?
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:54 pm

The security should be better. It has happened in a few Dundalk games, so they should be ready for certain fans carrying flares.

McNultys Discopants
Reserves
Reserves

Post by McNultys Discopants » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:09 pm

Wexford White wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 pm
To Peak6 I say this: You have a duty of care towards me and all others who pay to enter Oriel Park. We have the right to safety. You fail us in this right. (You fail us in many other aspects, but that's another matter). What are you going to do about it?
Ah Jesus wept! I'm no fan of Peak6 but this shit has gone on well before their time and it will go on well after they're gone!

Can't blame them for our scrotes! They've always been they're and nothing has ever been done about them. Never will either!
Liam Carroll is a piece of shit. A fcuking leech.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:17 pm

McNultys Discopants wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:09 pm
Wexford White wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 pm
Ah Jesus wept! I'm no fan of Peak6 but this shit has gone on well before their time and it will go on well after they're gone!

Can't blame them for our scrotes! They've always been they're and nothing has ever been done about them. Never will either!
I take your point but some day there will be a serious or fatal injury due to the activities of these morons. Inevitable.
The Back of the Wall

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:43 pm

I see Rovers have been given a 1 match stadium ban for the incident in Waterford. Hope that’s a lesson to some of our fans

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:49 pm

Shoco wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:43 pm I see Rovers have been given a 1 match stadium ban for the incident in Waterford. Hope that’s a lesson to some of our fans
Shoco, I doubt it will be. How much have the club paid in fines over the years ..... never stopped them.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:29 pm

I don't think they create that much atmosphere ,the game is barely visabe with all the smoke. The recent Cup final was a blur

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:01 am

Pepsi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:49 pm
Shoco wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:43 pm I see Rovers have been given a 1 match stadium ban for the incident in Waterford. Hope that’s a lesson to some of our fans
Shoco, I doubt it will be. How much have the club paid in fines over the years ..... never stopped them.
There is no consequence for their actions. There has never been an appetite to tackle the anti social behaviour in Oriel or at away games and I'm not sure there ever will be.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:14 am

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:01 am
There is no consequence for their actions. There has never been an appetite to tackle the anti social behaviour in Oriel or at away games and I'm not sure there ever will be.
They cant really clamp down on fans in LOI grounds. The problem is that their isnt a sufficient fan base to do it at most clubs. Imagine if the club were to crack down on flares and other anti-social behaviour (drinking, weed etc.) in the shed. Sure a large part of the shed would be directly effected or would know someone / have a mate who is effected.
Remember years ago, BVB fans went on a rampage in the Schalke stadium during a derby and started firing fireworks at innocent bystanders and families in the stands beside them. Very quickly, BVB banned 2 full fan clubs (apporox. 600-700 members) and about 40 individuals who had been indentified as being right wing. Easy to do when you have 7 year waiting list for season tickets and 80k+ home support. LOI clubs have a very long way to go until they are in a position to turn down any regular paying punters.

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:46 am

What’s the fine for a flare? Something like €500. Ban the individual, because chances are you will not recoup that amount from them in a year. They do it twice, 3 times, every match. The math would imply that it is a lot cheaper to nip it in the bud.
Last edited by GC. on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:49 am

Pepsi wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:14 am

They cant really clamp down on fans in LOI grounds. The problem is that their isnt a sufficient fan base to do it at most clubs. Imagine if the club were to crack down on flares and other anti-social behaviour (drinking, weed etc.) in the shed. Sure a large part of the shed would be directly effected or would know someone / have a mate who is effected.
Remember years ago, BVB fans went on a rampage in the Schalke stadium during a derby and started firing fireworks at innocent bystanders and families in the stands beside them. Very quickly, BVB banned 2 full fan clubs (apporox. 600-700 members) and about 40 individuals who had been indentified as being right wing. Easy to do when you have 7 year waiting list for season tickets and 80k+ home support. LOI clubs have a very long way to go until they are in a position to turn down any regular paying punters.
You've jumped to the nuclear option there, banning groups of fans is certainly not the way to go. Banning individual fans who act the bollox is. It's usually the exact same lads causing the problem and it's tolerated for some reason.

The SSA aren't the problem here, the vast majority in the shed aren't the problem, lads having a can or a joint isn't the problem. Lads throwing flares/fireworks on the pitch, getting coked up and fighting opposition fans, running on to the pitch etc. are the problem.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:17 am

Being made to play matches behind closed doors - that's the nuclear option. And the way things are going, it's going to happen eventually. If the club won't deal with the problem then the FAI will.
The Back of the Wall

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:48 am

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:49 am
Pepsi wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:14 am

You've jumped to the nuclear option there, banning groups of fans is certainly not the way to go. Banning individual fans who act the bollox is. It's usually the exact same lads causing the problem and it's tolerated for some reason.

The SSA aren't the problem here, the vast majority in the shed aren't the problem, lads having a can or a joint isn't the problem. Lads throwing flares/fireworks on the pitch, getting coked up and fighting opposition fans, running on to the pitch etc. are the problem.
Correct, I took to an extreme to prove a point. You are willing to turn a blind eye to having a can or a joint but want action against flares/fireworks. My point is very simple, it has to be either all or nothing, rules have to be implimented or ignored, cannot be a case of pick the ones that suit us and ignore the rest if you want to impliment change. Every can which is brought into the ground is not only a loss of potential income for the club at the bar, it is also a potential object to be launched onto the pitch if it gets into the wrong hands. Joints .... wont go there, I know myself and many others would be reluctant to take our young kids over to the shed because of it. I also accept your point that 99.5% of the lads in the Shed are not the problem, however the 0.5% in between them, give them a bad image if looking in from outside. Bad news travels faster than good news and all that. For all the very good things the SSA do and I commend them for it, unfortunately, the one or two morons who set off flares or smoke bombs draw that negative attention. Cameras above, cant see the pitch, meaning viewers are effected and commenators always seem to say things along the lines of ...SSA in voice voice below us tonight, then 5,10, 15 minutes later ... sorry about the lack of vision, flares/smokebombs let off below us, people put one and one together.
As for lads getting coked up, fighting etc., do you really think banning one will make a difference to the rest? They hide behind the fan movement, however are there for other reasons and I doubt they are die hard fans. The lads in the shed have to start identifying them and ensuring they are removed. I am far from against having a drink, a bit of craic and so on, love the athmosphere the shed creates for us auld lads in the stand, however at some point the club has to tackle the issue and make a stance. Personally I would love to see a simple project started .... let the SSA set off flares in a controlled manner. With that I mean at the front of the shed, however in a designated area where the club have a bucket of water or sand for them to be placed in once burnt out. Maybe also ask the local fire service (we have a fireman in the ladies coaching team) to speak with the designated lads and give them tips on how to do it safely. Works inofficially in Germany and Holland so why cant be work in LOI grounds or Oriel. I am sure there are plenty of other ideas and I am sure the lads in the SSA would love to work with the club on it, however they have to be aware and I am sure most of them are, that flares etc. cost the club money.