2022 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals v2

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2022 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals v2

Post by superman » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:23 pm

For us, basically all comes down to how good Adams, Connolly, Williams and Sheppard are going to be. Before the seasons starts, I think everyone takes the most optimistic position possible. But last year Sonni, Ravis, Zahibo and Stanton all came in with decent pedigree but look how that worked out. Its an interesting tactic O'Donnell has taken, getting young British players in (there wasnt much talent available in Ireland).

In saying that, I like how the team is shaping up. Was impressed with how well-drilled O'Donnells teams were, and Connolly seems to have made a decent career in Scotland. Boyle is already class, so if Connolly is anyway good, that is a decent base for the team. Hoban is by far the most proven Striker in the league, so not worried up top.

Biggest issue for me with the team now is if we have other goal scorers in the starting 11 apart from Hoban. Murray and Duffy are big loses in that respect. Big pressure on Dan Kelly this year, very inconsistent for Dundalk so far (a far more likeable version of Dylan Connolly) but maybe he will suit O'Donnells style a bit better. Martin scored a few for Waterford, and Benson can score regularly, so hopefully they chip in. Its also fairly thin squad in the way that if Hoban or Boyle are the only real definites on the team, and if they get injured, who knows what then.

Two things I would love to see this year is a jump in quality from Leahy and Slogget, who regressed under Perth. They arent young pros anymore and should be the core of the team, but both havnt taken a step on in their careers. Secondly, we have to make much more from set pieces. Under Kenny we were super dangerous, and average since. It makes such a big difference to a league campaign if your defenders semi-regularly score.

I feel the league is fairly open, Pats did a lot of business (Eoin Doyle is probably the move of the transfer window- and if they had him last year would have made a massive difference), but they lost Desmond and their Keeper (who wasnt replaced), and two starting center midfielders (Lewis and Benson) and their starting left winger in Mattie Smyth. They do have a fair amount of talented young lads coming through, but those are still big replacements needed. I was expecting bigger from Derry in the window, but they still definitely improved. Rovers are definitely the most settled side, but are old (hopefully the years finally catches up with them). Jack Bryne is a big signing, but hasnt played much in 2 years. Mannus is on his last legs, and they didnt bring in a striker. I thought they were an average enough team to win the league, but they won it by a mile so maybe thats just my anti-rovers bias.

Sligo just lost Mahon and Kenny, but are probably the most settled side outside of Rovers. Bohs were fairly gutted, but somehow normally always find a player. Shels signed mostly from Longford, Harps and Drogheda were also fairly ripped apart (although watch out for Dean Williams for Drogheda), and UCD havent added to a team that finished finished 3rd in the first. So it feels the bottom half of the table will be a bit worse than last year.

Best possible scenario for Dundalk- Sheppard is as good as Jaroš was for Pats, Connolly is as good as Gartland, Adams and Williams are a class above. Rovers run out of steam (and dont get the late goals anymore) and draws dont become wins. Pats struggle to replace key players and Doyle doesnt workout. We win the league.
Last edited by superman on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:55 pm

Yeah was surprised Shamrock Rovers didn't bring in a keeper and a finisher. Those were areas that needed to be strengthened from last season in Europe.

Johnny Ward on Off the ballt saying it could be the best season ever,but with the amount of players that have left the League I'd be surprised.
The League needs about 3 teams in a good title race. Shamrock Rovers strolled to the last 2 titles.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:54 am

Andy Lyons to Tallaght. As if Bohs fans weren't already depressed enough about the lack of movement to replace departing players. Maybe Keith has really good u19s coming though.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:07 pm

Plymouth after Georgie Kelly . Going well for promotion in League One.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:34 pm

superman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:23 pm
Best possible scenario for Dundalk- Sheppard is as good as Jaroš was for Pats, Connolly is as good as Gartland, Adams and Williams are a class above. Rovers run out of steam (and dont get the late goals anymore) and draws dont become wins. Pats struggle to replace key players and Doyle doesnt workout. We win the league.
Did you forget about Derry? For me they are nailed on to come 2nd, maybe closer title challenge next season, but they still lack firepower up front. Delighted Georgie K not going there, plus Higgins thought he had Hoban in the bag too, good!

Pats did indeed lose the spine of their MF and that keeper was a different class last year, Matty Smith too is a loss, but Doyle is fav for league top scorer, so they will be strong enough and still have a far more settled team than us.

No reason we shouldn't aim for 3rd, that would be a fantastic achievement, 2nd would be carnival stuff, but I just think we may need to be a little more realistic given so many new players who need to blend in, 4th for me is tops, but look who knows, if we get off to a good start ?

SOD factor, plus he has signed well, seems to have carefully selected too, and a decent group from 2021 left in Hoban, Boyle, Sloggett, G Kelly, Gartland so lets see.

superman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by superman » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:10 pm

mike wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:34 pm
superman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:23 pm
Did you forget about Derry? For me they are nailed on to come 2nd, maybe closer title challenge next season, but they still lack firepower up front. Delighted Georgie K not going there, plus Higgins thought he had Hoban in the bag too, good!
Personally, I think Derry will improve, but not by the leaps and bounds maybe expected . They were a midtable last year, and the squad looked like they were in a relegation fight before Higgins came in. The four Dundalk players, only Duffy is a cert. If Fats gets an injury free season, thats a class signing, but its an if. Dummigan had far more mediocre games than good ones, and definitely not as solid defensively on Gannon or Massey in their primes. Patching had his moments, but lacked any bite to him. I guess for both of them it depends on how much Dundalk were holding them back, but if they are the same players for Derry as they were for Dundalk, I would be surprised to see them in the mix at the end of the season.

Maher and Kavanagh are good signings too, but you expect they would be a lot better from 2023 on....
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:13 pm

Fats will also be playing on a similar (some say worse) pitch, so that won't help his injuries. Duffy is a huge loss for us, massive, up there with the top 5 we had in the glory era from 2013 - date and the biggest loss since Gannon.

The guy he was bought to replace (Horgan) looks to be well out of favour now at Wycombe, I check their line up most weeks, on bench again today and this is now consistent, would be great to get him back on 1st July, can't see him staying in UK beyond that, plus his Mrs is from the town.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:07 pm

Derry had a trialist striker who scored against Drogheda today. Loius Britten. Matty Smith could yet end up there also.

Carrick_Road
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Carrick_Road » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:24 am

Matty Smith has signed for Derry. Serious squad assembled.

cooney
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cooney » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:26 am

No doubt about Higgs on a coaching stand foot but he doesn’t seem to have the eye for scouting his own players just cherry picking with a cheque book

I know we done similar although on a smaller scale season to season with 1/2 players here and there

But has he brought in an outsider that has worked yet?

Dillonman
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Dillonman » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:34 am

Supposedly signing 19 year old Scottish midfielder Stephen Bradley on loan from Hibs. Queue the song problem when rovers come to town!
Drogs are scum!

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:39 am

Dillonman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:34 am Supposedly signing 19 year old Scottish midfielder Stephen Bradley on loan from Hibs. Queue the song problem when rovers come to town!
Need to start looking at defensive positions as this is where we seem to be fairly light.
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Carrick_Road
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Carrick_Road » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:55 pm

Flores to bohs seems to be all but done aswell.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:35 pm

Carrick_Road wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:55 pm Flores to bohs seems to be all but done aswell.
I believe he may still have a connection in Ireland. Might even be in Phibsboro.

Towelie
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Towelie » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:31 pm

Bohs confirm Flores.

Have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed with our recruitment in comparison to our rivals. Benson and Connolly the stand outs, the rest are essentially punts who could either thrive or flop. It's really hard to know how things are going to pan out.

It was to be expected though as it was mentioned by Dan McDonnell that 2022 was to be more of a consolidation year and then for the 2023 season there'd be a significantly increased budget.