2022 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals v2

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2022 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals v2

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:23 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:55 pm Would like to see Derry's accounts at the end of the session as they are blowing away what we can pay for players. Peak6 had to invest in infrastructure (dressing rooms, cinema room) to get around the 65% turnover to wage cap
Very good point L4S

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:37 pm

Pepsi wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:18 pm
Richie87 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:07 pm Matty Smith leaving Derry for a loan move. Pats and Shelbourne interested. Would Smith on loan not have been a better move for Dundalk ,then Hauge who is unkown to the league? Though Bradley has excelled coming in on loan
Two or three things in that one .....
1. Derry would have to want to send him to us (doubt they would do us that favour)
2. Skip would have to want him ... and the club would have to be able to afford him, we could all assume Hibs are picking up part of Hauges wages
3. The lad would have to be content coming as a bit part player ... at Pats and Shels he may feel he has a chance of more playing time

People must be content overall with the business done yesterday as there are very few posts in here today.
He was a key player for O Donnell last year so he probaly would like him, though his wages might have been the issue
He would have as much chance starting at Pats as Dundalk.

Towelie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Towelie » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:05 pm

Hanratty released, could see him signing for Drogheda or a first division side. Didn't seem to be first team standard but best of luck to the lad all the same.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:30 pm

Football agent on OTB discussing the transfer fees of LOI players to English clubs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS_EOQhULt0

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:02 pm

“ Lilywhites fans expected Connolly would sign on there and the player was keen to do so, but Derry came forward with an offer that all parties couldn’t refuse. Dundalk were conscious of Connolly’s age (30) and injury record when it came to committing to a long term deal but the move adds more spice to the rivalry between the clubs.”

Quote from Dan McDonnell weekly newsletter.
Probably time for me to get over this but there’s a couple of things here.
30 years of age for a CB is not old. We know how good Connolly is and how much he’d taken to LOI football.
His injury record ?? I didn’t know there was a problem there. He played 90 minutes every game for us for 6 months, only missing out for suspensions and being rested once.
If we’re going a long these lines, why did we sign Garts back , who is older and coming back from a serious injury??
Yes it comes down to money, but imo , knowing all the positives re Connolly, I think we should have signed him up for 2 and half years and not brought in 3 players. I think he’ll ultimately be the difference between us and derry girls getting second just like the difference Garts made to us when Kenny signed him back then.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:56 pm

Connolly was a class act and looks after himself so I wouldn't worry about his age. If he stays injury free he'll have a good spell at Derry but I think it would have been mental to sign him for what he was looking for.

He has had loads of injuries over the years including doing his ligaments last year. If we could afford to take the gamble like Derry can he would have been an amazing signing. Its an area we will likely need to strengthen next year
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:28 am

I have to wonder at some of the decision maki g when it comes to signing players. Wasn’t Mountney signed injured and paid to sit in the stand for 7 months. Gartlan signed again after a serious injury and has spent most of the season injured again. The money spent on these 2 alone must be crazy. Then we don’t have money for Connolly.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:55 am

Yeah that's a fair point. Mountney was recovering from a ACL injury, which generally takes 9 months recovery all going well. He got injured last August

Dillonman
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Dillonman » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:45 am

Richie87 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:07 pm Matty Smith leaving Derry for a loan move. Pats and Shelbourne interested. Would Smith on loan not have been a better move for Dundalk ,then Hauge who is unkown to the league? Though Bradley has excelled coming in on loan
Derry never be stupid enough to loan him to a fellow contender for europe with it being tight.
Drogs are scum!

Pepsi
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Pepsi » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:56 am

GC. wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:28 am I have to wonder at some of the decision maki g when it comes to signing players. Wasn’t Mountney signed injured and paid to sit in the stand for 7 months. Gartlan signed again after a serious injury and has spent most of the season injured again. The money spent on these 2 alone must be crazy. Then we don’t have money for Connolly.
We dont know the details of either deal. Could be very well a case of them being on the sick or dole until they are able to play once again. Alternatively, we may be paying them peanuts until they get back to full fitness. None of us know the ins and outs of players employment contract and that is how it should be. Doubt any Joe Soap around town would be too happy if their employer went public with what they are being paid on an individual basis.
If both lads are on full pay and injured (in Mountneys case, it was known prior to him signing) .... then certain fan groups should be getting their banners out ... owners wasting money and not being transparent etc.
The owners should be looking at getting 2 new centre halves in for next season, one starter one backup .... would love to see Garts move into the backroom team. Boyle looks like he has passed it, pace is gone and he is good for a mistake or two in nearly every game.

Richie87
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richie87 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:58 am

He was played out of position at Derry,used as winger when Duffy got injured.
He should do well at Shelbourne

I see Sligo have brought in a player from Leipzig on loan and another from Dinamo Zagreb. They have a good bit to do to get European football for next year,unless a Cup run. Bohemians similar

Alanek
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Alanek » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:35 pm

Louth4sam wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:56 pm Connolly was a class act and looks after himself so I wouldn't worry about his age. If he stays injury free he'll have a good spell at Derry but I think it would have been mental to sign him for what he was looking for.

He has had loads of injuries over the years including doing his ligaments last year. If we could afford to take the gamble like Derry can he would have been an amazing signing. Its an area we will likely need to strengthen next year
Wat was he looking for .

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:45 pm

There is no long term "upside" to taking a player on loan from England/Scotland/Wales, unless his contract is up at the next window. If he does well his parent club will hold you to ransom and will happily tout the player to any club with unlimited funds. A player who - in the case of Connolly - we have helped to resurrect his career, while allowing him showcase his talents.

I would rather look at the glass as half full.

● We are where we are PARTLY down to Connolly: it's a team game.
● I don't think that anyone signed this year has failed to pull their weight. Therefore I trust the club/management on who they sign and how they spend their money.
● MC was used to SPL wages. DUNDALK were subsidising that figure to the tune of (good) LOI wages. Dundee United decided they wanted a lower net outlay. Either Dundalk pay more or MC takes less. Recalling him, and putting him on the open market, was nothing less than blackmail. Ironically, Dundalk dropping the Connolly quest and taking on McCourt, along with Cleary signing for Rovers, left Connolly and Derry stuck with each other. One persons big signing coup is another persons cast-off. He wouldn't be the first ex-player of ours who went north and has yet to provide a meaningful return on investment.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:03 pm

oldfogey wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:45 pm There is no long term "upside" to taking a player on loan from England/Scotland/Wales, unless his contract is up at the next window.
100%. Connolly was signed to cover for Gartland while he recovered. The problem is that he is still recovering. However, if it was not for Derry losing Toal , we would have been in strong position to sign Connolly permanently. These are the breaks that sometimes go with you and other times go against you.

I trust that the club made the long term decision. They know the finances, I don't.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:18 pm

White Horse wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:03 pm
oldfogey wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:45 pm There is no long term "upside" to taking a player on loan from England/Scotland/Wales, unless his contract is up at the next window.
100%. Connolly was signed to cover for Gartland while he recovered. The problem is that he is still recovering. However, if it was not for Derry losing Toal , we would have been in strong position to sign Connolly permanently. These are the breaks that sometimes go with you and other times go against you.

I trust that the club made the long term decision. They know the finances, I don't.
The other thing I forgot to mention was maintaining the salary status quo. I assume there is an amount of contract extending/renewing that needs to be negotiated, if not already in hand. Overpaying somebody means handing agents a rod with which to beat you and can only end badly in terms of player retention and/or finances. This weeks business sent out the message loud and clear.