The Future of OrielWeb

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: eamoss, Gearóid Bellew, Duffman

Colin Gallagher
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Future of OrielWeb

Post by Colin Gallagher » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:06 am

Hello all,

I’ve had this drafted since August.

Not that I compare myself with Peak6 or anything (although some people might compare us) but it’s come time to hand over/pass down/vomit up control of OrielWeb. Or close it. Whatever makes most sense.

When the current hosting of OrielWeb comes up on January 25th 2022, I, personally, will not renew it.

I don’t want to be involved in what comes next or need financial support to continue, I’m just not going to do it anymore.

I have the domain name already renewed since early October 2021.

I can transfer both the hosting and the domain name in January (or on Christmas Day!) to whomever wants it. It’s important to know what the hosting and domain name costs are (through siteground.com within which I can just input someone’s email address to transfer ownership)

$223.05 USD per year for hosting (usually gets a warning near the end of each month that we are nearing limits on CPU...things...but usually it makes it over the monthly line). It’s their cheapest package and reasonable compared to others. It's slightly cheaper if you pay for more than one year at a time.
$19.78 USD per year for domain name - I guess you wouldn’t have to pay this until Oct 2022. My gift to you. Or you wish to use your own domain. That's up to you.

As you can see from November 2021 visitor stats, OW is still pretty popular contrary to the popular belief and in contrast to the general view that OW is the cavernous, degenerate, and reprobate arsehole of the Dundalk FC fandom. Oh yes, I've seen the sideways stares and derisive sneers (as you browse daily under the cloak of “Guest User”). Oh yes. You bloody love it.

I’ve never made money from OrielWeb, it never crossed my mind, and was never offered by anyone to the best of my recollection, I don’t think. Unlike an investment, I never thought about getting my money back.

I have to put on record, though, that I owe my entire career to OW. I was contacted directly by my future boss back in 2002 just because I was the administrator. I haven’t looked back since and I will be forever grateful to PD and OW for the life I lead now.

Apart from my entire career(!)I haven’t really gained anything from OW apart from the online digs at how shit OW has become (this has happened every year since 2002 haha!). And the quadrennial online thanks.
I scored two goals years ago in Oriel at a charity game somewhat organised on OW. That’s something.

I take it and admit that I left numerous garbage posts up more than I should have. I guess there’s something about freedom of speech somewhere in my brain but, to be honest, I just didn't have the energy to pontificate the ethical and moral dilemmas involved. I looked at it like I would a conversation in a pub or the stand; a lot of players/staff get slammed (and worse) left, right, and centre and everyone laughs about it all. And downs a pint. But words on the internet hit harder and are more stoic and permanent, and everyone can print them out or share and declare OW a cesspit. Fair enough. Points taken.

I’ve lived in 6 different countries while paying the bills for OrielWeb.
Absentee landlord. I’ve woken up to some shit over the years...

...I’ve been contacted on occasions by solicitors to remove certain... things that were posted. Interesting the type of people who threatened me with court appearances over the years. I smiled weirdly as I deleted said posts. Or woke up to them having been deleted already. Cheers AD. Bloody degenerate reprobates getting me in trouble!

I’ve been sad to see a number of regular posters pass away over the last 19 or so years.
Burbank White met me in LA a number of years ago for a chat.
OrielRoar was a friend and was at my wedding. Time sucks.
Ezekial, whom I never met, kept this board going over the last number of years.
RIP to all. Whatever happens I will make sure there is a backup of the database ensuring that their memories and thoughts live on.

John Gill in times of great stress called OrielWeb users “nerds”. Good to see that he’s nerding with the best of us on Twitter now. Nerd. :p

I’ve updated the board dozens of times. None were fun.

So, what next?

I don’t know. If someone wants to take control of the hosting and domain by January 2022, then let me know.
If multiple people request it, then you’ll have to mud wrestle at the square. Or I’ll just see who you are and try to ascertain if you might turn it into some sort of weird erotic website. I will ask for advice from people in the know around the town. If you personally know me (not many do haha!) then, obviously, we can talk. People not venturing forward their real names won’t be entertained and will be ignored. Degenerates.

Maybe a bunch of people want to chip in to take it over. We’ll see.

If nobody wants to, then that’s fine too. I can live with that.

OrielWeb has just been something I kept up since 2002 without really thinking about it. If I was thinking about it more, we would have branched out to podcasts etc. but I didn’t. Now I’ve finally thought about it so I figure that’s the sign it’s time to move on.

Until January 2022, I’ll see you around here.

Inquiries:
[email protected]

ruckyhill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: The Future of OrielWeb

Post by ruckyhill » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:24 am

A great post - thank you Colin and for all you have done to keep the forum going.

Is it possible to say how much time (daily/weekly/etc) it takes to keep the forum going? Or is that for an offline conversation?

I would be happy to assist with any shared effort going forward. Not sure what I could offer - I work in IT but not on the Web side - but happy to be involved.

Colin Gallagher
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Colin Gallagher » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:41 am

ruckyhill wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:24 am A great post - thank you Colin and for all you have done to keep the forum going.

Is it possible to say how much time (daily/weekly/etc) it takes to keep the forum going? Or is that for an offline conversation?

I would be happy to assist with any shared effort going forward. Not sure what I could offer - I work in IT but not on the Web side - but happy to be involved.
Thanks rucky.
The board technically runs itself until you have to manually update (it's actually due one now!) every time phpbb brings out an update. This can be done in 15mins or less if nothing happens. Spoiler: sometimes something happens.
There are not a lot of posts per day - most traffic is views only; probably slightly more on match days so time spent actively running it is minimal. Depending on how you want to clamp down on caliber of posts!

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hull White » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:34 am

Hi Colin,
Thank you very much for all you have done to keep OW going over the years. You will probably never know how much it has meant to exiles like myself over the years. To be able to communicate with likeminded Dundalk fanatics over the years has been a God send at times, particularly over the last two years of the pandemic. I have probably been guilty over the years of a few strong posts made as Hull White or Yorkie White in the early days and I am always sad if they offended anyone but they have always been driven by my undying love for our team and club.

I am at an age now where I am retired and have never been good technology wise so have always appreciated the efforts put in by those who are.

I will be sad to see the end of this forum if it happens but thank you once again for providing it for so long. I wish you all the best in the future in all you do.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:36 am

I think its fairly obvious that the opening post is not actually from Colin, but from Vinny Perth who is trying to de-stabilise the new ownership and management team. Vinny, you will never take OrielWeb down!

Bogger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Bogger » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:42 am

Defo interested in taking full control and paying all finances. To keep it the same and try improve anything I could

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:20 am

ruckyhill wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:24 am A great post - thank you Colin and for all you have done to keep the forum going.

Also work in IT and happy to help with finances and keeping the lights on

Thanks for all your hard work over the years Colin
"Absentee ownership doesn't work" - Jordan Gardner 21/12/2020

Bob Prole
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Bob Prole » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:50 pm

I haven’t really gained anything from OW apart from the online digs at how shit OW has become (this has happened every year since 2002 haha!).
I laughed

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:25 pm

Thank you for all your great work, Colin.
Where would we be without Oriel Web? I selfishly never gave any thought to the amount of time and work involved - and I never considered that there might be costs involved. I do not have the IT expertise required to help with running the site (long retired) but I would be happy to contribute financially.
The Back of the Wall
They come in packs of 5 - and I need 6

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:57 pm

Thank you Colin for all your hard work also, I have been a member since 2006** I think, always enjoyed the semi privacy of this v likes of twitter etc.

Maybe an idea is to set up a go fund me for members to contribute to the running costs?

Unfortunately due to family and work, I won;t have time for the admin to keep this going, but hopefully we can get volunteers who can help.

**Edit was 2003 !

Conroy
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Conroy » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Happy to help financially to keep this forum running. I'm sure there are others too. How about a chip around in the form of a Go Fund Me? Aim to cover the upfront cost for a couple of years etc.

Honestly it was a big part of my early supporting life and it would be sad to see it go. Like the majority of visitors I mainly view as a guest only these days.

Adam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Adam » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:12 pm

Guys. I'll pay for OW for 3 years if somebody else runs it. Can commit money, but not time.
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Martin Lawlor80
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:26 pm

OW has come in for a lot of criticism over the years and in particular over last few years with the rise of Facebook and Twatter , people like to have a go but still log on and even post, so it shows how important OW actually is to many Dundalk fans.
Every so often some lunatic spends a few months annoying most sane fans but 90% of the content is good and healthy debate. I’ve found it’s usually better to ignore the attention seekers, they usually get bored and move on in time. There are far more headers on other social media platforms , just look at the comments that appear on FB after we lose a game. So I definitely don’t see OW as the arsehole of Dundalk fandom!
I have mixed feelings on the rise of the podcasts last season but nothing beats logging on to OW to see the latest rumours or after a game.
Thanks a million Colin for your work. Nigh on 20 years! That’s a fucking ( had hoped that might correct to pillowcase!!) lifetime tbh. We’re all different people to how we were 2 decades ago.
Hopefully others with IT expertise and more importantly time will take on the challenge.
I echo Mike’s idea, maybe a Gofund me should be set up for those who’d like to moderate but are worried about the money.
By the way, Hoban’s just been announced, fucking yessssss!!!!

eamoss
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by eamoss » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:36 pm

Thanks Colin for all the work over the years. It really is a thankless job and a lot of the appreciation goes unsaid.

While bulletin board have lost most of it's market share to social media websites I still think they have a place and like Conroy has said this forum was a big part for me when I first started following the club. Even if I no longer post and I am prone go on long breaks from the site I would hate to see it disappear. While I am not keen on the idea of being moderator, I am able to help out on the financial side and the technical side (I work as a programmer).

With all that said should we try and get organised? Maybe have some group ownership of the site where we can all help out anyway we can and share the responsibility that Colin been doing by himself over the years?

Random side note:
When looking for the old Oriel Web before it became only a bulletin board and found it on archive.org https://web.archive.org/web/20210127025 ... elweb.html

butch
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by butch » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:28 pm

Don't post much on oriel web compared to years ago but always check in and grateful that's it's still running, well done Colin on 19 yrs hard work and dedication.
ill say this "this".